Video of my Bridgeport milling machine running under Linux

My Bridgeport mill now uses EMC2 and Linux as a CNC control.

Video is here. Not quite as bad as the previous one.

Show is cutting an exaggerated bolt hole circle.

Ignoramus7608

Ignoramus7608 fired this volley in news:c8-dnb-Zis42s9fRnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

The mill is great, but the narrator looks so damned RUSSIAN!

Couldn't you have found someone who looks more Bulgarian to narrate?

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

I think that I look kind of bulgarian

Ignoramus7608

COOL LOL

I so wish my flash drive video camera would have made the trip.

Very good.

SW

Reply to
Sunworshipper

Ignoramus7608 fired this volley in news:OMydnW5RRajLqdfRnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Oh, NO! The fact that you keep mayonaise in your _workshop_ gives it away!

(I never ate so much mayonaise in 48 hours in my LIFE than when my daughter-in-law came over to visit!)

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

where is she from?

The jar with mayo is in the video for a better visual reference to the spindle, so you can better see the table move. I do not have any beer cans at home, they would fit in perfectly.

Ignoramus7608

The only Bulgarian I ever met was a wonderful, sweet, old lady. Passed away a few years ago. You look nothing like her!

I though you were going to show us a program that took the lid off the jar. Do you have plans to make the mill operate a hand crank coffee grinder like someone here did a few years ago?

Good job on the machine and program!

Paul

Reply to
co_farmer

Very nicely done!

A couple things though...your z movements are the same in both axis.

Works great for wood..not so well for metal. Just a heads up...

And I was certainly hoping you would have show the spindle smashing the jar of mayonaise..or at least, plunging a drill bit in the lid, getting hung..then as the bit was raised..spinning up rapidly and then leaving the side of the screen, followed by a crash and a screaming oath in Ukrainian.

But...shrug..all in all...looks like you are getting a very good grip on everything.

Now cut something real, dammit! Stick a chuck of particle board, or MDF or even a 2x4 in there and make CHIPS!!!

Gunner

One could not be a successful Leftwinger without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of Leftwingers, a goodly number of Leftwingers are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid. Gunner Asch

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Actually ..he does. If he was approaching with an umbrella..Id be reaching for my side arm......

Gunner

One could not be a successful Leftwinger without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of Leftwingers, a goodly number of Leftwingers are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid. Gunner Asch

Reply to
Gunner Asch

I know, it was for the show purposes only, so it would be faster and more fun to watch.

I wanted to put some beer cans for size reference, but turned out that I ran out of beer cans. I mostly drink Miller lite in bottles.

I had to do some cleanup first and I also need to cover ways.

To that end, today I welded a broken cast iron bracket, that holds a "roller" that supports the front skirt. I still need to replace the rear skirt. It is too early to make chips.

I forgot, I also need to cover the servos again.

Ignoramus7608

Maybe you are reaching for yrou side arm every time someone farts too loudly

Ignoramus7608

Only Bulgarians. If they have umbrellas.

Im allergic to ricin.

Gunner

One could not be a successful Leftwinger without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of Leftwingers, a goodly number of Leftwingers are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid. Gunner Asch

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Ignoramus7608 fired this volley in news:dKGdnaEtZeNezdfRnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

She is a Moscovite -- still.

Regardless of what you were using it for at the time, had someone spilled it on the mill, I'm guessing you'd have eaten the mill but for one thing -- it's Hellman's, so, not "runny enough".

For the rest... this is sort of an insider's joke about Russian culinary art.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

................. Slowvak,Bohawk, Polack.... all same .................. strong like bull

Reply to
cncmillgil

wait a minute I thought this was rcm? not rec crafts woodworking:)

put a pen/pencil in the toolholder & use it for a plotter!

Diamond saw blade, with a little water coolant? make some real nice glasses outta wine bottles. precision tile cutting, stain glass- the possibilities are limitless! its the do all " IgnorPort! series II maniac" (get rid of the inter part) just joking now

Did that machine come from the Mot. Libertyville model shop down stairs or was that leftover from the wonderful Harvard non-exsitant facility. I've been to the libertyville facility many times in the mid 90s during the hey day cell phone era.

big old blankets- good enough for man cave work.

now if you really want to make somthin outa cool material, think titanium. I've got 6al4v come'n outa my pockets, literally.

wing nuts.......... quick access for minor adjustments & loose wire checks :-)

what's left over from the Heide control? IE model & make S/N vintage - exactly We have a mid 90's TNC 426 that I might be able to talk my place about spare parts- if anything is even compatible. IMO the Heide TNC is a very user friendly simple & extremely powerful control for a 3X mill. Will run circles around Fanuc, Fadal, GE, Acromatic, Okuma, Roders, only Hurco with software options beats it for the "on the floor machinist/programmer"

read my lips - no more g-codes =3D sound familiar?

ah actually my place would almost junk ours if I had'nt sat down this last year & should'em how to use it. Works great - god only knows if somthin breaks. interested in a 36*60 * 38Z- working, under power Anayak? Head can be tilted & locked in 2 directions for compound selectable programmable work planes. never tried it but it sounds neat. IE : once tiled & plane selected, when moving any one axis the other adjacent ones also move, on the tilt- square to the spindle- got it? now thats cool. That control has to do alot of thinking to perform that.

Reply to
cncmillgil

I am a Moscovite as well.

rotflmao

I may make some chips today. I have some rubber sheets that Mike Henry gave me, I will use one as a skirt for the mill.

Ignoramus8473

Hmmm giant contractror 3ml bags! with large rubber bands to Holdzem tight

Reply to
cncmillgil

Ignoramus8473 fired this volley in news:RfCdnRHS14AXG9bRnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

It moves, and doesn't buzz at stop, but I have not yet milled anything on it. It is, however, in really nice shape. Perhaps not as good as yours, but the fishscale is still visible on all surfaces -- just not "super bright" like yours. The automatic lube system works fine; it has flood and mist accessories, too. And it's still on the original electronics. The EMC^2 conversion has to wait.

I run the spindle (which is the only 3-phase item on it) on a VFD, and run the rest on single-phase. A few re-pinnings of the transformer leads was all that was required in addition to the VFD "insertion". It's been sitting, kind of waiting to go to work, for over a year.

I have this fuse spinning machine I must finish re-furb'ing first. I'm _still_ working on that constant-torque takeup spool solution. My first "fix" fixed all the visible problems. But another showed up during a run, so I'm hard at work building my own hydraulic constant-torque solution.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 19:07:07 -0500, Ignoramus7608 wrote the following:

I saw X and Z movement but no visible Y. Bad camera angle? And who was that guy moving into and out of camera shots? Pesky!

Congrats on 3-axis movement, Ig.

-- Exercise ferments the humors, casts them into their proper channels, throws off redundancies, and helps nature in those secret distributions, without which the body cannot subsist in its vigor, nor the soul act with cheerfulness. -- Joseph Addison, The Spectator, July 12, 1711

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I thought you'd lost weight...