Test- Agent under Linux running under Wine

Test...
700mhz Coppermine, 64mgs ram, Mepis 3.4-3, Wine, USR 56k external via proxy server.
Thats pushing things pretty good...lol
gotta get more RAM...
Gunner
"The defensive firearm is a special-purpose piece of safety rescue equipment, designed to extricate a person... from the immediate threat of savagely violent crime. It is like the fire extinguisher.... Neither piece of equipment will do you any good if you don't know how to use it or are not psychologically prepared to face danger with that gear in your trained hands in a terror situation." -- Massad Ayoob, Handgun Primer

Nope, nothing came through.
Now, my friend, you are doing something useful. I've got a dual boot Unbutu/XP machine as a learning platform, but I do like the idea of keeping Agent.
Was it straight ahead, follow the instructions or were there any gotchas to be worked out ?
-- W§ mostly in m.s - http://members.1stconnect.com/anozira
Winston Smith wrote:

Agent is crap, and the favorite tool of trolls.
If you run linux try slrn, or pan, or tin.
On Tue, 30 May 2006 01:03:04 GMT, sittingduck

Opinion I suppose. I don't say there aren't some good Linux readers, but Agent is awfully good. I've used it since DOS/Win3.0 and it's always kept pace with what new goodies came along. I've tried some other Win readers and they were just way to much work to get my reading done. An application is supposed to be a tool, not a project.

Which means nothing to me. Do you not use something because others misuse it ?

I'll give them a shot.
I do have archives going back 8 or 10 years that were collected in Agent. Unless the others can import them, very likely, I'd need Agent to access them. Agent does export what is essentially a text file and does it in a Unix format, so there is a good chance they can be converted - but right now I don't know that for a fact. It's a matter of not burning bridges until you decide not to go back.
-- W§ mostly in m.s - http://members.1stconnect.com/anozira
Winston Smith wrote:

I will admit that it's better than OE, at least it doesn't break quoting. I did try using agent for a while, and found Xnews to be far superior. Like you say though, it boils down to opinion, mostly.

Fair enough...

If you get ready to do that, and can't find much help with manuals or search engines, news.software.readers is a good place to get help. Lots of slrn/pan/tin users lurking there.
--
Koyaanisqatsi

zatoichi wrote:

LOL!! You're killin me! :)

Type alert..that should have been http:// and so forth
Gunner
"The defensive firearm is a special-purpose piece of safety rescue equipment, designed to extricate a person... from the immediate threat of savagely violent crime. It is like the fire extinguisher.... Neither piece of equipment will do you any good if you don't know how to use it or are not psychologically prepared to face danger with that gear in your trained hands in a terror situation." -- Massad Ayoob, Handgun Primer

Changed the fonts in the "options/display" toolbar button ..Im now using the native Linux fonts..and its ever so much better to read. I actually like the look now more than I did the original one I had settled on (Tehoma IRRC)
Gunner
"The defensive firearm is a special-purpose piece of safety rescue equipment, designed to extricate a person... from the immediate threat of savagely violent crime. It is like the fire extinguisher.... Neither piece of equipment will do you any good if you don't know how to use it or are not psychologically prepared to face danger with that gear in your trained hands in a terror situation." -- Massad Ayoob, Handgun Primer

I put Ubuntu aside and have been trying out BLAG. It's packaged with Gnome. Some of the apps I've installed like KTechLab require the KDE libraries, but it's been no problem with the included Synaptic PM. My favorite distro so far. Small group with active support forum. www.blagblagblag.org
Chuck
Gunner wrote:

Emulating windoze on linux with 64 MB? Pretty sick,if you ask me.

zatoichi wrote:

He's broke-dick trailer trash.... someone taking pity on him probably gave him their old junk computer.
sittingduck wrote:

w00t? Get out of here.
lol

Can YOU do it?
Laugh laugh laugh
Gunner
Gunner wrote:

No,I can't. I can see the reason for your enthusiasm though,I am keen on retro too.Now days even the slimiest weakling can provide bear meet for his family,he just needs to move his fingers in the right direction across the keyboard.Where is the honour in that? Corrupted govt agency allocated me some box with 4 GB. I miss the old days,when men were men,women were women,and tools were heavy.

WINE = "Wine Is Not an Emulator"
Retief