New to gasless wire-feed

I recently purchased a gasless wire-feed welder for use on sheet steel and thinner walled dimensional steel . The flux-core wire works great for the lighter applications, and I'm still new at the wire feed game, and I still have the old stick welder for the heavier stock.

I was simply amazed at how well this wire feed works. I don't think that I will ever stick weld another piece of thin walled square stock again.

One thing I would like to know is; can a gasless wire feed welder be used in other applications other then steel? Can it be used to weld Stainless and other metals? I know that it can't be used in aluminum, pot metal, or chromium.

Is mild steel the only thing that it can be used on? It's highly portable and is real easy to take it to the work unlike my stick welder, or oxy-acetylene rig.

Thanks, John J Ernst

Reply to
John J Ernst

You can GMAW Aluminum. If you have a mini-mig, it probably dosen't have enough sack to push Aluminum.

Chromium - you have pure chrome to weld? If it's just chrome plated, then grind the chrome off and weld the mild steel underneath.

Rich

Reply to
Rich Jones