Counterfeit LiPo packs.

| There are no copyright laws in China. They all copy each other and | everyone else.

This wouldn't really be a copyright issue.

At least in the US, there's three main legal types of protected intellectual properties --

-- copyright. A book is copyrighted, or software, or a piece of art.

-- trademark. A name or logo is trademarked, like `Kokam'.

-- patent. A design for someting is patented, or a method for doing something.

There's also trade secrets, but they're not really legally protected like the previous three are.

In any event, there's a better discussion of intellectual properties at

My point is that it looks like the issue would be a trademark issue rather than a copyright issue -- they're not copying the design of the batteries, they're just (allegedly) putting the name of another company on them. (And the name Kokam is trademarked in the US for things like batteries and R/C devices.)

And you're generally right -- China is not known for strong intellectual property protections.

However, once you bring such product into the US (or other countries with stronger IP laws) generally the laws do apply. So while somebody might not be violating any Chinese laws when they stamp the name `Kokam' onto their own cells over there, once the cells enter the US (or another country) the local laws do apply, and I believe it would be illegal to even import such cells.

The customs offices have been known to deny the importing of such `conterfeit' goods, but of course they probably can't verify every such item, and so they have to be notified of such violations.

In any event, my point is that just because it's legal in China, that doesn't mean there's nothing that can be done.

Of course, I'm not a lawyer ...

Reply to
Doug McLaren

The ads I have seen to not originate in China. The two cited by Red are UK based. The UK certainly has copright agreements with the USA.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

Then don't worry so much about Kokam. After all, they are made by Asian peasants!

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

Gee, isn't that the same sentiments used about 40 years ago about the Japanese? Weren't we all going to lose our way of life to cheap Japanese imports???

Aren't their products now held in high esteem?

Get real, Red.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

I am afraid that battle was lost in the schools about 20 years ago when political correctness became the rule of the day. I never have been and many have beaten me up for that regularly.

> >> and also at:

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High

I thought you said they were counterfeiting RELIABLE brands, Red?

:-)

Frankly anything with Kokam on the label is overpriced shit anyway, counterfeit or not.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

We did. If we were car workers. Or worked in electronic manufacturing.

Yes..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

There are a lot more Brit car workers out of work due to the "quality" of British cars than to the Japanese. I also saw a LOT more French and German cars on British roads than Japanese!

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

Ah, yes. Skoda and Kia! Can't forget Seat!

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

CZECH cars?

Reply to