Dynaflite Butterfly

Wonder if any of you builders have had experience with the Dynaflite Butterfly , I flew Sport RC from 1984 -1994 and then left RC , still have radio gear for 6m and 72 , was thinking of getting back into the hobby and would like something slow and also maybe Electric , a guy used to fly a Butterfly at my club years ago , I think he tried to fly it too fast and the wings would buzz at a certain speed , just wondering how much problem the Electric mod. would be and any other comments would be appreciated . Thanks Phil L. AMA 134136

Reply to
Phil

| Wonder if any of you builders have had experience with the Dynaflite | Butterfly , I flew Sport RC from 1984 -1994 and then left RC , still have | radio gear for 6m and 72 , was thinking of getting back into the hobby and | would like something slow and also maybe Electric , a guy used to fly a | Butterfly at my club years ago , I think he tried to fly it too fast and the | wings would buzz at a certain speed , just wondering how much problem the | Electric mod. would be and any other comments would be appreciated .

I have one. It's a pretty decent plane. Mine has a 0.20 engine in it.

I'm hard pressed to think of how you could fly it fast enough to make it buzz :)

It has a very low wing loading (for a powered plane) and so it would be pretty easy to convert to electric.

I've gotten into gliders much more than when I first got the Butterfly, so if I were to go back and fly it more, I'd probably add some spoilers somehow (for a glow plane, it's hard to bring down) and remove the landing gear just to make it stay up longer.

Reply to
Doug McLaren

"Doug McLaren" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@frenzied.us...

-------------

The Butterfly is a model that I have always wanted to build and fly, but could never get around to it because of my interest in pattern competition. I even had the kit in my possession several times in the past, but ended up selling when I needed a new Rom nosegear, or something else for pattern. I have seen quite a few of them fly and each and every one of them lived up to my expectations.

I would think that this model is one of the best glow models available for electric conversion. It has everything going in its favor.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

"Doug McLaren" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@frenzied.us:

Concur. This would be one of the easiest glow-to-electric conversions ever. Offhand, I'd say any 200W+ motor with a relatively low kV would work fine. Pair it with a 3S2000 battery and you'd have a plane that could probably putter around for close to an hour.

For gas, the spoilers would be handy. I useta have a big old gas old- timer that simply wouldn't land with the engine at idle; even at idle, there was enough thrust to keep it airborne. With electrics, not a problem.

As for the landing gear . . . well, it's not a true powered glider, and you really should be able to get it to fly for around an hour on a

3S2000 battery, so I'd keep the LG. Again, if it was glow, and I was doing a climb and then shutting off the motor, I'd feel differently.
Reply to
Mark Miller

"Doug McLaren" wrote

That's what flat spins are for!