fox engines ??

They stop selling, giving the "excuse" to get rid of the line. It may be they are trying to strong-arm Fox to cut their wholesale selling price, IOW, cut your price to us or don't sell any. Tower swings a lot of weight around. WAY too many modellers don't shop anywhere else.

Reply to
John Alt

Tower swings a lot of weight around. WAY too many modellers don't shop anywhere else.

I agree totally! Tower/Great Planes is too big and too powerful. True, that does generate lower prices sometimes, but often at the sacrifice of availability or choice. Many LHS owners are now stocking only GP accessories, they don't carry the Dubro line also. I wonder if this is a muscle move on the part of GP? Tower has dropped a LOT of stuff since the takeover, and I expect it will continue. I patronize my LHS for about 95% of my purchases. I find the more I buy from them, the more they are likely to discount a big ticket item. There are tw ogood shops, both within an hour drive. That's a long way for just a package of bolts, but I keep track of my supplies, and usually make each trip worthwhile. About the only thing I buy online is used items from eBay, bulk wood, and special accessories like Proctor and Hobby Lobby (to name two) sell.

Dr1

Reply to
Dr1

[...]

I get a lot of laughs when somebody at our field claims their importe

40 turning a 10-6 at 11000 is putting out more power than my Fox 4 turning the same size prop at 13200. Also, I have to laugh when the are replacing bearings almost every year. I'm still running some of m control line Foxes after over 30 years

--

50+AirYear

50+AirYears's Profile:
this thread:
50+AirYears

i have used fox engines for the last forty years.when tower suddenly starts chargeing more for a fox engine than for an os max engine then somethings wrong i love fox engines but nothing new in the last 10 15 years!i see fox fading into the history books in the near future

Reply to
cann47

Without Duke around, I'm surprised the Fox name has lasted as long as it has.

TAS

Reply to
The Amazing Seismo

They are basically good running engines with terrible manufacturing control on certain parts. Their threads on the needles is HORRIBLE. Every one I have run had threads so sloppy that you could go from over rich to lean just by wiggling the needle up and down. Some would move over 1/4 inch at the end like that. If they made better carbs, I am sure a lot more people would buy them.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

Duke said he made them that way so the needle could 'float' and self-align in the seat. He also said it was necessary to put a piece of fuel tubing over the NV threads to squash against the end of the spraybar and keep it from leaking air, and though most everyone familiar with Fox engines knows that, I've seen them cussed up and down for not holding a needle setting - and bought some very good engines for a song, lacking nothing but that 1/8 piece of fuel tubing. I agree it seems like sloppy workmanship, but for 30 years or so I've never had more trouble setting the mixture and having it stay set on a Fox TN carb than I have with an OS, which certainly *looks* better designed and executed. Don't much care for the "new, improved" Fox air bleed carbs, tho.

Abel

Reply to
Abel Pranger

I, too, used the fuel tubing over the needles. IMHO, it was a poor excuse for sloppy threads. They didn't need to be THAT bad. Self-align in the seats? Pure BS. They would not self align. They were free to move around at will causing a lot of the problems people had. If the fuel tubing was needed and Fox knew of it why wasn't it ever in their instructions? Why didn't they supply it with the engine?

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

Chuck,

Your msg, containing the below sentence, was a good read until that sentence. Why did you decide to insult?

CR

Reply to
Charles & Peggy Robinson

I still have a couple of Fox .50s, used to have more. First thing I always did was put a piece of fuel tubing on the hi-spd needle. I used to order several lo-spd needles direct from Fox. The QC on the carbs/needles was so bad that Duke used to enclose instructions for "tuning" the lo-spd needles with a fine grinding stone. What I found out was that you could swap the needles around until you found one on which the tolerances stacked up so that the engine would idle and run great in the midrange. Honest. Never was happy with the Eagle IVs tho.

CR

Reply to
Charles & Peggy Robinson

Yep and might I add that I've one of his rarer motors. Not a Fox design as such but they built them. It's the 36 RX/RC...with the old style two needle carb(doesn't seal to well at the base) was real annoying until I realized that you set the idle first on that carb. But what to put that heavy brick into? ;^) Don't answer I've my own stupid ideas. The ONLY time I ran the old .35stunt on synthetic oil it wasn't a happy motor and performance suffered. Switched back to Castor and it ran right as rain.

Reply to
Keith Schiffner

I ran them on a 50-50 mix castor and FHS oil. That seemed to satisfy their castor-lust.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

I was actually happy with my Eagle IV .74. It would swing impossibly large props with ease (Graupner 14X7 three blade!) on a Top Flight P-40 (old kit). I also had a couple Q-500 specials that were dynamite. Extremely reliable when you followed Duke's method for adjusting. Too many people thought they knoew better because they could adjust an OS or Rossi!

The biggest problem with the sloppy needles came from the double sided spring clip they used to keep the needle from rotating. One click moved the needle to one side and the next click shoved it over the other side. Kinda like rocking it back and forth in the carb. Adjusting it was a series of lean-rich-lean-rich.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

I'm still using 15% nitro, 28% castor in the Fox 35's that I use for stunt. Seems messy but they really like it. The newer LA 40 stunts will run well on regular 10% Omega and do 2/4 very well.

Phil AMA609

Paul Mc> I was actually happy with my Eagle IV .74. It would swing impossibly large

thought they

series of

Self-align

carbs/needles

midrange.

Reply to
pcoopy

both the fox 15bb and 25bb engines are lapped steel lined and iron piston engines time has passed them by but they are still good sport engines

Reply to
cann47

Most all of the engines are good runners and light for their displacement. I wish they could get their carbs straightened out.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

"Paul McIntosh" wrote in message news:421c3bac$0$35330$ snipped-for-privacy@ptn-nntp-reader02.plus.net...

Perry

What do I know though, my old two needle carb never bounced the needles and has always worked good enough...

Reply to
Keith Schiffner

I like the Fox carbs better than a Perry. The Perry needs constant adjustment of the idle mixture. At least it's marked so you know where to put it, I knew to richen it on a hot day and where to put the mark. The Fox is a little trickey to tune but needs less tuning afterward. Oh well they do not all have OS or Supertigre carbs.

Reply to
Sport Pilot

The Fox .15 has a very good carb! I don't know about the .25 but understand the carb is OK but not as good as on the .15. They have recently replaced the carbs on the .40 and larger engines with a two needle carb. Don't know how good it is but it should be as good as more recent Fox twin needle carbs.

Reply to
Sport Pilot