Looking for a club/Instructor in Derbyshire/Notts area of UK

Can of worms time..... some manufacturers put buttons on the top of the sticks so you obviously can't use your thumbs, others knurl the tops of the sticks to give your thumb a good grip. Sticks are also adjustable for length, short for thumbs on top, long for finger and thumb. Obviously there is no authoritive way to use your transmitter sticks or they would all be the same! Do whatever is right for you, it's your hobby and there are enough regulations in this world! Dave :^) p.s. Thumb man since first Futaba 6M 27AM

Reply to
Dave :^)

Actually all,

I f I've actually flown this plane on a few occasions before this with a nearby club, but this was around 2 years ago, and unfortunately on the last outing it suffered a battery failure - the battery lead disconnected after a steep turn - and it ended up plouging the nearby field.

The plane, other than repairing what little damage there was, hasnt been touched since the crash. AFAIK, the trim was correct at time of the crash, and as such is still the same. Also, having learnt and earned a real-world PPL back when i was 17, i think i know that the ailierons are working correctly, and that the elevators move upwards to climb, and downwards to loose altitutde - i may be a novice R/C flyer, but please dont treat me like im the new boy at school, its very off putting for a newcommer to this part of the web!

Reply to
EGNX Flyer

And I thougth that elevators controled speed!! Pull back on the stick to slow down...Stick held back in a glider does not normaly lead to height increase.

Reply to
Brian Lambert

Use your thumbs if you want, but you'll likely have to take them off the controls when you flick flap, undercarriage or rate switches etc. on future planes. TXs are designed for thumb+ index operation and the crucial switches can usually be reached with the middle finger or very quickly with the index. If you use your thumbs you have to let go of the transmitter completely with one hand.

Unlikely. Chances are the trims on both the TX and the plane have changed. In two years disuse the wings will probably have changed warp, if they weren't dinged in the crash as well. Check for correct washout on the wingtips too which presumably you have built in. If you haven't, then trim both ailerons about 2mm above the rest of the trailing edge (if your wing is flat), to counteract tip-stalling.

Well I found that it's better to presume a novice doesn't know and tell him stuff he already knows than assume he does and watch him make an obvious mistake. I taught an active airline pilot to fly models, and he was no better than the average novice. Every full size pilot I know that tried models has commented that they found it more difficult than full size. (btw, I also did a number of solos in gliders when I was 16)

The back to front elevator setup I referred to was the result of someone who taught himself teaching a group of other people that "up was up" on the controls.

I notice that you gave up on models for two years after the crash: I found that preparing a novice to half expect his first plane to crash, softened the disappointment and got them going on the next plane immediately. There are very few novices who don't deck their .40 size plane, either terminally or repairably, like you did.

As for those people advocating teaching yourself (not you, because you rightly don't intend to), sure, many people do it, but a .40 size trainer isn't the plane for it. It is not unknown for people to try out their 3KG missile on a housing estate playground or next to a main road.

Reply to
markzoom

Bull$hit! Different folks - different strokes -accept it! wether you fly thumbs or thumb finger you may have to let go to adjust trims/menus etc. I suppose you think all transmitters should be made Mode 1 or perhaps Mode 2 but not let people have choice? Your way may be best for you, but not for everyone. I know modellers who have struggled to learn to fly for years only because their mentor flies mode "x" while mode "y" was natural for them. Grow up and don't try to enforce what you think is right on others, the Gestapo disappeared years ago! Give advice if you want, but, don't try to make rules! Rant over!

Reply to
Dave :^)

Snip

Well said Mark.

I'm glad to know that there are folks out there with some common sense...

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm Fisher

Reply to
Malcolm Fisher

Oops!

Made a right mess of my posts there.

Got names mixed up and then sent a message back before making my apology

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm Fisher

I'll have a pint of that! Dave :^)

Reply to
Dave :^)

Wouldn't advise a pint - I only had a short...

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm Fisher

By 'eck lad your so full of crap! If Tx are indeed designed for thumb and index finger use only then.... why the hell do they knurl the top of the sticks on many Tx's so that your thumb has a good grip. I guess the manufacturer decided his production team needed the machining practice ?

You and your comments are the reason why many people object to statements that the only way to learn is to join a club. If club members are as opinionated and stubborn as you then the last thing they want to do is join a club.

All you have done is offer the original poster advice that he neither sought nor needed.

Your advice.... that after two years the wings will have warped....

This makes me wonder if you have built model planes, and if you did what sort of state they ended up in ! If your wings have warped after two years then perhaps you had better stick with better designs or alternatively ARTF and hope they were properly built !

I guess the crankshafts on your engines sag out of shape after a few months of non-use.

Reg

Reply to
tux_powered

Fly your plane with the trannie's stick up your bum, if that's what you enjoy, but like I said: Most transmitters are designed for thumb-index flying and the switches layed out so you can reach them best that way. Mode 2 closest resembles the full size. I didn't design the transmitters, so don't blame me if it makes it less convenient for fumb fumblers.

Reply to
markzoom

Nope, they are knurled on top for the thumb users. The switches are however laid out for thumb-index users, go check.

A consensus is that "thumbs is easier" and "thumb-forefinger is more precise". Take your pick. Quite a lot of people start off all thumbs and later change to thumb-index, but rarely the other way around. It's really not such a big deal, but look at what the best, and worst, pilots use.

There is also a test: Grab the transmitter and look at the ceiling (not the controls). Push the stick exactly into the top left corner without looking a few times. See how accurately you can do it with both methods.

There's a bunch off stuff you won't know unless someone bothers to show you, (and quite a few won't bother). It's sure easier to absorb it here than on the field all at once. Here's a nice site about *teaching* people to fly:

They are sure likely to have changed warp slightly if they are built-up film covered ones. I sure wouldn't rely on the presumtion that the trims are spot on because "they were fine when I put them away two years ago after I crashed the plane", would you?

Over 20, most from scratch.

I decked my first RC pride and joy on the first outing alone. Some went in because of radio interference etc. Thanks to being kindly given excellent instruction from someone after the first disaster, I have only written off one other plane due to pilot error since 1975 on the first test flight (a hand launched fun fighter Me109, which turned into the ground on launch).

There are a whole bunch of reasons why wings can warp in 2 years storage that have zilch to do with how well they are built. You go presume the trims are still identical after some crash two years ago, and I won't. Most don't even presume them to remain spot on during the flight and on subsequent flights, because it depends on how much fuel there is in the tank, wether there's a lump of sheep shit stuck on the wing, it's been standing in the full sun, someone tripped over the plane while you weren't looking, etc.etc.etc.

Well you keep guessing. I sure hope you never teach anyone to fly.

Reply to
markzoom

Fly your plane with the trannie's stick up your bum, if that's what you enjoy, but like I said: Most transmitters are designed for thumb-index flying and the switches layed out so you can reach them best that way. Mode 2 closest resembles the full size. I didn't design the transmitters, so don't blame me if it makes it less convenient for fumb fumblers.

Ooh err missus! a dummy/pram moment! perhaps you would like to show me in ANY transmitter manual where it states how you have to hold the sticks, except the multiplex with the optional buttons. I and I'm sure others on this ng remember radios advertised, boasting of knurled stick ENDS for extra grip. Manufacturers would not limit themselves to a market of finger/thumb fliers and miss out on the "fumb fumblers". Perhaps you would like to post a picture of how you hold a transmitter without neckstrap or tray while using finger and thumb at the same time as operating switches. I've tried it with three different brands of transmitter without success, can anyone else confirm this or name a trnsmitter where this is possible? I think you're talking out of your ar$e! Dave :^) p.s. my 8 year old daughter spotted that "layed" should be spelt laid, actually!

Reply to
Dave :^)

Dear Gestapo, have a look at this website

go away, lie down, and say to yourself 100 times "I must not be so anal" Dave :^) Flying how I want!

Reply to
Dave :^)

Cool sticks. You would think that the new Futaba FX-40 would come with the GOLD sticks standard.. ;)

Reply to
David Hopper

In article , wrote: | | Malcolm Fisher wrote: | | > Lesson number 1: | >

| > Do you steer your car or bicycle with your thumb? No!

That's my winner for `worst analogy of the day' award! Congratulations!

Last I checked, you don't steer your car or bicycle with a little stick held between your thumb and finger either. By your analogy, we probably shouldn't fly R/C planes like that either?

| > It's a bad habit to get into.

Perhaps it's not ideal, but I'm not sure it really qualifies as a `bad habit'.

| > Don't use your thumb on the sticks because you have less control and it | > might slip off, grip it properly between index and thumb.

I've heard that holding it between your finger and thumb will give you more control, and I have noticed that more of the `really good' pilots do this than the `average' pilots (like me.) However, your thumb alone does not just `slip off'.

| > and after graduating from push button single channel have always | > used my thumbs on the sticks as I don't have, and don't want a | > transmitter tray such as those I have seen helicopter pilots | > using. | | Well a proper instructor would have stopped you developing that habit.

And in my experience, 1) most people fly with their thumbs, and 2) this includes most instructors. (Though if one of your requirements for being a `proper' instructor is to not fly with your thumbs, then I guess none of the `proper' instructors do.)

| And you don't need a tray for either, not even a neckstrap.

I never did like neckstraps.

| Nothing stopping anyone using their big toe, but the pros don't fumble | with their fumbs.

Some do, from what I've seen. Well, to be more precise, they sometimes use their thumbs, but usually don't fumble. But yes, a far higher percentage of the `pros' use their finger/thumb than do in the general R/C flier population, and I doubt this is a conicidence.

Reply to
Doug McLaren

I will confirm it ! I tried both a Futaba and a Hitec Tx today. I fly by thumb alone but when I tried holding the sticks as advised by "Super Instructor", or whatever he is, I found that it was very difficult to reach any of the switches, knobs, etc. In order to move e.g. the trainer switch I had to let go of the stick on that side. In order to reach any of the switches, knobs, while keeping my finger and thumb on the sticks then I ended up holding the Tx with just my little fingers supporting it underneath. I doubt a strap would make much difference. If you want to operate with finger and thumb control on the sticks the I reckon a Tx tray is damn near necessary in order to do it properly.

Leaving my thumbs and fingers on the sticks meant I had no leverage with the middle finger that was trying to move switches.

Could be that my Tx has warped in the two years since I last straightened it with a hammer I suppose >:-)

If the "super instructor", or whatever he is, is actually in a club I bet it has a membership of 1 ???

Would you want to fly with a guy who has banana shaped wings 'cos the plane is 2 years old ?

Reg

Reply to
tux_powered

"Super Instructor", ROFLMAO!

I would Reg, we'll have to organise something next summer. Dave :^) p.s. Gestapo, if you're reading this, you owe me a gear switch for a Futaba Challenger, I dropped it while trying your neck strap/trayless transmitter manipulation techniques!

Reply to
Dave :^)

LOL

It's good to find S O Else with some common sense.

Perhaps I should amend that - I had enough sense not to try using finger and thumb without a tray - I just couldn't see how to support the Tx if I used that method of operation :-)))

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm Fisher