Looking for a club/Instructor in Derbyshire/Notts area of UK

Allan wrote:

It's called a "google search" though you are, of course, free to use any search engine....

So, as a matter of interest what were the a) numbers using thumbs? b) numbers using index-thumbs? and c) those using neither (i.e. index only)? What were the total number of people asked and how many responded?
Thanks
Allan
Allan, Sensible question! (number asked = 1?)
Markzoom? One of the best bit's of advice in the world ever, " when in a hole stop digging" You're impressing no-one but yourself!, as for Nintendo? you may play computer games all you want but I'd rather go out and fly. IMHO I find computer games a rather sad alternative to real life, but if that's what you're into, then I hope you enjoy them. Dave :^) unofficial candidate for the common sense party.
Actually I think he is just a timewaster out to provoke response and having fun at our expense
Allan

Welcome to the party! Dave :^)

I found the following paragraphs in an old flying book called, "Learn to Fly by The Seat of Your Pants" by Hamish A McGobligan Jr, 1908.
"The thumb and forefinger method of control can give reasonably accurate control, but only if you are certain you don't accidentally have both legs down the same side of your underpants. It's a mistake that's all to easy to make on a cold morning and the results can be catastrophic. Careful checks should be made before each flight as your plane will have a tendency to pull to the left or right (depending on which side your underpants both your legs are down). If you want to avoid mistakes entirely, wear a kilt."
The book goes on to say that one should always keep an watchful eye on the orientation of one's head, one's @rse and the transmitter. Failure to do so can cause a variety of upsets when one least expects it, especially when teaching others how to fly."
It's all true. I swear it!
Travec.
and the transmitter. Failure

ROFLPMSL
Dave :^) wrote:

Who's trying to impress?

I've never used a Nintendo, but that clearly went over your head.

Common sense would be doing a google on it yourself, since you apparently care that much.
Allan wrote:

It was a google search, not a survey. I found plenty of thumbers switching to index-thumb, but not a single one switching to thumbs from index-thumb. I read accounts of two different aerobatic competitors changing over and noticing a great improvement with index-thumb.
In the US, there seem to be marginally more people using thumbs. As would be expected, many got used that method before they twigged there was another way. It seems likely that thumbs will get more followers in the UK too, as small electric artf planes are now readily, cheaply and widely available even in toy shops that make joining a club or any tuition basically unnecessary. A few of these people will likely progress onto bigger IC planes and continue flying the Nintendo way.

Yet there are still plenty who only use their thumbs. Perhaps your search didn't reach everyone of either persuasion.

Who is this great teacher Nintendo? I've never heard of him/her.
BTW, I was looking back at the series of articles produced as inserts in RCM&E some years ago, written by Bill Birkenshaw et al. In one of the pictures showing teacher and trainee using a buddy box system, both were using thumbs.
As has been said ad nauseam - use what you feel is the best way for you - whatever that is.
Malcolm

On 22 Nov 2006 07:50:15 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@digiverse.net wrote:

I've lurked on this thread for a while but I simply must take issue with that one. The fact that a plane is small, electric or artf doesn't in any way preclude the need for beginners' instruction, as I found out some time ago to my cost. You're clearly making this up as you go along mate. I would seriously give up now if I were you.
Travec
Travec The Dacian wrote:

What do you think happens to all dem planes on Ebay and in toy shops ?: You rarely see them at clubs.
tinyurl.com/h3vag
Down to 22 quid including charger and postage. Thats cheaper than joining a club with insurance.
Of course people should get tuition, and you found out why, but *they* will find it unnecessary to bother, just like you didn't. And I bet you're flying thumbs now too.

Most fly ones or twice, for a flight of a few seconds or a few minutes, before the non pilot smashes them into a million bits.
--
Jim in NC

Morgans wrote:

And that, boys and girls, is why you should teach people how to fly them, the best way you know how.
snipped-for-privacy@digiverse.net wrote:

Two statements not at all based on fact.
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

And the facts are?
snipped-for-privacy@digiverse.net wrote:

1/. Most fly several times, (I assume that 'ones' is supposed to be ONCE) and survive well enough to either enthuse the customer for something better, or make him feel its all a bit more than he cares to get involved with.
2/. And that, boys and girls, is why an instructor is not really necessary at all.
Morgans wrote:

Not according to my LHS, who reckon that the people who buy them don;t come back anything like as much as the guys who by 40 ARTF 'trainers' - so called. Actually fast heavy and very dangerous weapons of minor destruction, with a propensity to quit at bad moments.
| What do you think happens to all dem planes on Ebay and in toy shops ?:
They fly for 15 seconds, then crash.
| You rarely see them at clubs.
No, you don't normally see crashed planes at clubs. You might see a plane crash, but once it crashes it doesn't usually come back until it's repaired. Of course, if you just buy a plane and crash it 15 seconds later, often it's never repaired, even if repairable ...
Some clubs are also hostile to the small electric planes. However, the local glow club was quite fascinated by my Ultrastick 25e -- it's not that big, but it's still the biggest electric that many of them had seen. And it flew very nicely ...
I do understand that you can teach yourself to fly with the right plane (slow, foam, prop in back, simulator time) but any sort of instruction greatly assists the process.
--
Doug McLaren, snipped-for-privacy@frenzied.us
"I often quote myself; it adds spice to my conversation."
Doug McLaren wrote:

Most likely.

Yup.
Sadly true.

I find them just as much fun as any other type of RC aircraft. Much simpler in the winter coz your hands (especially the t h u m b s) dont get so cold like they do with IC planes, and you get to warm them on the batteries afterwards.

Absolutely. The point is that a *lot* of people try to start with these on their own nowdays (using thumbs) and some go on to a club and try bigger stuff.