Looking for a club/Instructor in Derbyshire/Notts area of UK

Dear Anally retentive, I notice you've dropped all reference to "without a tray or neckstrap" Our club which has fliers of both persuasions had a test session, "without a tray or neckstrap" and ALL found it totally impractical. Without good support for the body of the transmitter, the movement of one stick caused a movement of the transmitter which was transferred to the other stick, not very good for precise control. Dave :^) p.s. I'm teaching my 12 year old autistic son to fly, your reluctance to accept others views is one of his traits, as is an inability to mix socially. I think you may need a check up!

Reply to
Dave :^)

??? Because it's not relevant, Mr.Nintendo. Unless you've got a disability neither is necessary for flying Index-thumb.

Well our club don't (and btw. I did NOT even teach most of them at this one).

Cobblers. They just aren't relaxed. Fly Nintendo if you want, though.

And I bet you're teaching him to fly the way you do.

As for a correlation between "mixing socially" and flying thumbs. It's the way people start when they try to learn on their own.

You forgot to answer this: "Thumbers convert to index-thumb but next to nobody tries to converts to the thumb way, explain that."

Reply to
markzoom

How do you know? Have you done a survey?

Oops! Couldn't resist!!

Allan

Reply to
Allan

It's called a "google search" though you are, of course, free to use any search engine....

Reply to
markzoom

So, as a matter of interest what were the a) numbers using thumbs? b) numbers using index-thumbs? and c) those using neither (i.e. index only)? What were the total number of people asked and how many responded?

Thanks

Allan

Reply to
Allan

Allan, Sensible question! (number asked = 1?)

Markzoom? One of the best bit's of advice in the world ever, " when in a hole stop digging" You're impressing no-one but yourself!, as for Nintendo? you may play computer games all you want but I'd rather go out and fly. IMHO I find computer games a rather sad alternative to real life, but if that's what you're into, then I hope you enjoy them. Dave :^) unofficial candidate for the common sense party.

Reply to
Dave :^)

Actually I think he is just a timewaster out to provoke response and having fun at our expense

Allan

Reply to
Allan

Welcome to the party! Dave :^)

Reply to
Dave :^)

It was a google search, not a survey. I found plenty of thumbers switching to index-thumb, but not a single one switching to thumbs from index-thumb. I read accounts of two different aerobatic competitors changing over and noticing a great improvement with index-thumb.

In the US, there seem to be marginally more people using thumbs. As would be expected, many got used that method before they twigged there was another way. It seems likely that thumbs will get more followers in the UK too, as small electric artf planes are now readily, cheaply and widely available even in toy shops that make joining a club or any tuition basically unnecessary. A few of these people will likely progress onto bigger IC planes and continue flying the Nintendo way.

Reply to
markzoom

Who's trying to impress?

I've never used a Nintendo, but that clearly went over your head.

Common sense would be doing a google on it yourself, since you apparently care that much.

Reply to
markzoom

I found the following paragraphs in an old flying book called, "Learn to Fly by The Seat of Your Pants" by Hamish A McGobligan Jr, 1908.

"The thumb and forefinger method of control can give reasonably accurate control, but only if you are certain you don't accidentally have both legs down the same side of your underpants. It's a mistake that's all to easy to make on a cold morning and the results can be catastrophic. Careful checks should be made before each flight as your plane will have a tendency to pull to the left or right (depending on which side your underpants both your legs are down). If you want to avoid mistakes entirely, wear a kilt."

The book goes on to say that one should always keep an watchful eye on the orientation of one's head, one's @rse and the transmitter. Failure to do so can cause a variety of upsets when one least expects it, especially when teaching others how to fly."

It's all true. I swear it!

Travec.

Reply to
Travec The Dacian

Yet there are still plenty who only use their thumbs. Perhaps your search didn't reach everyone of either persuasion.

Who is this great teacher Nintendo? I've never heard of him/her.

BTW, I was looking back at the series of articles produced as inserts in RCM&E some years ago, written by Bill Birkenshaw et al. In one of the pictures showing teacher and trainee using a buddy box system, both were using thumbs.

As has been said ad nauseam - use what you feel is the best way for you - whatever that is.

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm Fisher

I've lurked on this thread for a while but I simply must take issue with that one. The fact that a plane is small, electric or artf doesn't in any way preclude the need for beginners' instruction, as I found out some time ago to my cost. You're clearly making this up as you go along mate. I would seriously give up now if I were you.

Travec

Reply to
Travec The Dacian

ROFLPMSL

Reply to
Dave :^)

What do you think happens to all dem planes on Ebay and in toy shops ?: You rarely see them at clubs.

tinyurl.com/h3vag

Down to 22 quid including charger and postage. Thats cheaper than joining a club with insurance.

Of course people should get tuition, and you found out why, but *they* will find it unnecessary to bother, just like you didn't. And I bet you're flying thumbs now too.

Reply to
markzoom

RIGHT! enough is enough.

Can you children PLEASE stop bloody arguing about fingers, thumbs and thumb fumbling! Whether you use thumbs only, or thumb and index finger the important thing is you're partaking in the hobby, am I not correct?

As a new member to this group and new-comer to R/C flight, this really ISN'T what i'd expect from grown up and sensible adults that I expected you all to be!

It makes me feel ashamed to think that I am part of this group and to think that I am among those supposed to be experienced enough to tolerate each others quirks and differences.

For those of you who HAVE been adult enough to supply USEFUL information, I thank you kindly, and to the others i ask that you grow up and learn to tolerate the differences others may have - at least we're all partaking in the same hobby!

I'm going to now offically close this topic, so please no more commets thank you, i've read enough!

Reply to
EGNX Flyer

wrote

Most fly ones or twice, for a flight of a few seconds or a few minutes, before the non pilot smashes them into a million bits.

Reply to
Morgans

Indecision ? Perhaps they change back again without letting on ? people can be soooooo devious. Why would I want to look into it ? I am not very interested in why someone uses thumbs alone as opposed to finger and thumb. I was only responding to someone who seems to think there is only one way to do it. Fancy trawling around the net to see who does what with their finger and thumbs. You really must get a life ! I couldn't give a stuff who does it whichever way... but there again, I wouldn't go spouting that there is only one correct way !

While you are trawling about and believing the things you come across on the net can I just point out that there's this guy in Nigeria that I have heard of. He is looking to transfer a LOAD of money into a bank account here.... I could mention you... he comes across as believable.

I am pleased to see that you are paying attention then.

I see this one went completely over your head, never mind I can twiddle my thumbs while you catch up.

Reg

Reply to
tux_powered

Dear impotent and socially inept, please post the URLs for all these sites where you get your cast in stone information regarding stick manipulation techniques, I can't find any. Perhaps I should add the info to my webpage? Dave :^)

Reply to
Dave :^)

Don't get the wrong impression of the newsgroup... most people DIDN'T participate in Mr. Thumb-and-fingers-only's troll-fest. There are a lot of good people here and a lot of collective experience. In the future, you might also want to try searching for answers to your questions at:

RC Groups (

-- more electric flight oriented) and RC Universe
-- not my favorite due to heavy and questionable moderation).

Good flying, desmobob

Reply to
Robert Scott