Looking for a club/Instructor in Derbyshire/Notts area of UK

| What do you think happens to all dem planes on Ebay and in toy shops ?:

They fly for 15 seconds, then crash.

| You rarely see them at clubs.

No, you don't normally see crashed planes at clubs. You might see a plane crash, but once it crashes it doesn't usually come back until it's repaired. Of course, if you just buy a plane and crash it 15 seconds later, often it's never repaired, even if repairable ...

Some clubs are also hostile to the small electric planes. However, the local glow club was quite fascinated by my Ultrastick 25e -- it's not that big, but it's still the biggest electric that many of them had seen. And it flew very nicely ...

I do understand that you can teach yourself to fly with the right plane (slow, foam, prop in back, simulator time) but any sort of instruction greatly assists the process.

Reply to
Doug McLaren

| Can you children PLEASE stop bloody arguing about fingers, thumbs and | thumb fumbling!

Um, dad, most of us haven't been children for many decades. We grew up, we moved out. Many of us are probably even older/more mature than you.

| As a new member to this group and new-comer to R/C flight, this | really ISN'T what i'd expect from grown up and sensible adults that | I expected you all to be!

And obviously new to Usenet too.

| I'm going to now offically close this topic,

Good luck with that.

| so please no more commets thank you, i've read enough!

Don't let the door hit your butt on the way out ...

Reply to
Doug McLaren

You might like to refer him to "thescamb aiter.com" or "41 9 e ater.com" (no spaces in either links) who have fun with that kind of thing. I gather one chap managed to dupe a certain "wealthy" africon gent into paying for ten separate shipments of assorted scrap (including dead washing machines, old toilets and broken cookers) to Nigerio.

Reply to
markzoom

I'm glad you asked for help before attempting to use a search engine but I suggest you get instruction from a more suitable person and not use a Nintendo keypad in your endeavours.

Excellent idea. Here is a useful link:

markzoom

Most likely.

Yup.

Sadly true.

I find them just as much fun as any other type of RC aircraft. Much simpler in the winter coz your hands (especially the t h u m b s) dont get so cold like they do with IC planes, and you get to warm them on the batteries afterwards.

Absolutely. The point is that a *lot* of people try to start with these on their own nowdays (using thumbs) and some go on to a club and try bigger stuff.

Reply to
markzoom

So now you prove that you're talking shit, as shown earlier in the thread you are unable to provide any evidence to back up your verbal diahorea. I really hope that someone in your club, if you are actually in a club, knows you from your posts here, if so, they must be pissing themselves at what a tit you're making of yourself. If there is anyone who knows "markzero who has a nintendo fixation" please say hello. Dave :^)

Reply to
Dave :^)

And that, boys and girls, is why you should teach people how to fly them, the best way you know how.

Reply to
markzoom

Hehehe, gotcha!

Reply to
markzoom

some people are just purely childish. seriously, with comments like that in the post above, how am i to get a good impression of my peers!

"Um, dad, most of us haven't been children for many decades. We grew up, we moved out. Many of us are probably even older/more mature than you."

I may be in my early 20's (and actually a father myself thank you!), and a new member to USENET and this particular part of it, but i could damn well assure you that my mental age is far beyond that of the physical age of some of those people posting here!

On top of all of that, stupid, and childish comments like that snipped above, in addition to "Good luck with that" and "Don't let the door hit your butt on the way out ..." really do make me think that i dont want to be a part of this at all - i also have a hint that Doug's a typical obnoxious American, in his later years, with the attitude of a 4 year old, and a brain to match... wait, that sounds like President Bush too!

Maybe i should stick to the groups that are more welcoming and less hostile to new members.. maybe i should find a new hobby, i dont want to be related to the scum i've seen and heard in this topic.

Reply to
EGNX Flyer

I wonder how the first ever RC pilot ever got his training?

Training has never been necessary, just a way to prevent complete noobs armed with 40 powered spitfires from demolishing the row of grinning spectators (and their cars) when he maidens it.

With a lone guy away from a club armed with a piece of 12oz foamie crap with a can motor stuck up its arse, who cares? If he wants to fly it, he will eventually learn, or if he doesn't give up in disgust..who cares?

Ive never has a single second of instruction from anyone..and I can fly well enough to pass the B test, if I could ever be bothered to take it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not according to my LHS, who reckon that the people who buy them don;t come back anything like as much as the guys who by 40 ARTF 'trainers' - so called. Actually fast heavy and very dangerous weapons of minor destruction, with a propensity to quit at bad moments.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Two statements not at all based on fact.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

| some people are just purely childish

Perhaps, but I'm willing to give you another chance to make a better impression.

In any event, statements like `Can you children PLEASE stop bloody arguing about fingers, thumbs and thumb fumbling!' aren't likely to have the effect you're looking for, unless you're actually speaking to your own children, or at least speaking from some sort of position of authority.

When speaking to adults like that, it's generally considered to be insulting, at least on this side of the pond, though I'm guessing it's no different on the other side.

| seriously, with comments like that in the post above, how am i to | get a good impression of my peers!

Well, you could try to post again, this time not trying to be such a condescending twit ...

| I may be in my early 20's (and actually a father myself thank you!), | and a new member to USENET and this particular part of it, but i could | damn well assure you that my mental age is far beyond that of the | physical age of some of those people posting here!

Of course. The vast majority of people think they're more mature than average (median, to be more precise) -- it's human nature. | On top of all of that, stupid, and childish comments like that snipped | above, in addition to "Good luck with that"

... said in response to `I'm going to now offically [sp] close this topic'.

Here's a hint for you -- you don't get to close this topic, at least not officially. Even having made the original post doesn't give you that right.

| and "Don't let the door hit your butt on the way out ..."

... said in respond to `so please no more commets [sp] thank you, i've read enough' -- we'll post whatever comments we want, thanks.

| really do make me think that i dont want to be a part of this at all

Of course. And I wouldn't want you to let the door ...

| i also have a hint that Doug's a typical obnoxious American, in his | later years, with the attitude of a 4 year old, and a brain to | match...

And I have a hint that you're just upset that you have no special authority here, you're not being given the respect that you feel you deserve, and so now you're flinging random insults on the off chance that something sticks.

| wait, that sounds like President Bush too!

You sound confused. I take offense at your insults and your attempts to run the group, and now I'm like Bush? Have you considered that maybe you're the one playing Bush's role here, trying to tell the rest of the world what to do?

[ was this another attempt at an insult, this time aimed at the entire country? If so, it didn't seem very well thought out, and you're not impressing me. ]

| Maybe i should stick to the groups that are more welcoming and less | hostile to new members..

Of course, if you put your foot in your mouth over there like you did here, you'll probably find the response to be similar.

This is a generally friendly group. markzoom is not a typical member

-- he's pretty new here, but apparantly not to Usenet. Googling for his other posts is quite ... informative (and I never thought to do it until now.)

| maybe i should find a new hobby, i dont want to be related to the | scum i've seen and heard in this topic.

If you were paying attention, you'd probably have noticed that most of the people participating were generally helpful. Yes, it looks like we were trolled. But that's OK -- it's not the first time, and won't be the last. Life goes on ...

Reply to
Doug McLaren

| I wonder how the first ever RC pilot ever got his training?

He probably had experience with CL and/or FF first.

In fact, he probably took a FF plane and added some rudder control, and was absolutely tickled pink when he had some small amount of input on where the plane went, and even if the plane crashed, he probably considered that flight to be a resounding success.

But I'm guessing that's not the answer you're looking for ...

Of course, you could look at the history of (full scale) aviation itself -- several of the pioneers died in their contraptions, even before the Wright Brothers made their historic flight. They didn't know how to build their planes, how to fly them -- this stuff had to be worked out by trial and error, and errors often hurt. | Training has never been necessary, just a way to prevent complete noobs | armed with 40 powered spitfires from demolishing the row of grinning | spectators (and their cars) when he maidens it.

With a 0.40 powered Spitfire or almost any other 0.40 powered plane (except for the 0.40 sized foamies and spads, but even they won't survive every crash) you'd better get some sort of instruction, or your first crash will demolish the plane. If you're determined enough you may get the hang of it, but you'd better be really determined and have a good sized budget to figure it all out on your own.

| With a lone guy away from a club armed with a piece of 12oz foamie crap | with a can motor stuck up its arse, who cares? If he wants to fly it, he | will eventually learn, or if he doesn't give up in disgust..who cares?

I'll bet he cares. Maybe he'll figure it all out, maybe he'll give up in disgust.

If you don't care, maybe you're not the best person to tell everybody that they don't need instruction? Technically, you're right -- people

*do* succeed without instruction. But any sort of instruction, even just a few pointers from a friend who watches or some time on a simulator, can make the learning curve a lot less painful.

Yes, things have gotten a lot easier, with foamies becoming common and cheap and being so light that they can survive most crashes. But even so, instruction helps.

| Ive never has a single second of instruction from anyone..and I can fly | well enough to pass the B test, if I could ever be bothered to take it.

And that's great. But most people new to the hobby are not you. How many times did you have to repair your plane before you got the hang of things?

(And what's the `B test' anyways?)

Reply to
Doug McLaren

Troll O Meter

0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ___________________________________________________ | | | | | | | | | | | --------------------------------------------------- ^ |
Reply to
Dave Lane

And the facts are?

Reply to
markzoom

(This thread is crossposted to two RC aircraft groups, a GB and a mainly US one) The "b" test is an achievement scheme:

'B' Certificate which is designed to recognise the pilot's more advanced ability and a demonstrated level of safety suitable for flying at a public display'.

What some US chaps might not realise is that the UK is far more crowded than the US and RC clubs or individuals here often have to fly from fields close to busy roads or with housing not too far away.

Totally agree with your post, btw.

I'm wondering how many people here actually have taught someone else to fly?

Reply to
markzoom

??? The vast majority of people who teach themselves, fly with thumbs. How is that a "troll"? It also stands to reason that a stranger who is a "thumb flier" is less

*LIKELY* to be aquainted with all the aspects of RC flight, including safety ones, even if he can by now fly the plane. And that's not a troll either, just logic you might find uncomfortable. |
Reply to
markzoom

Troll O Meter Updated Reading

Reply to
Dave Lane

I learned to fly myself a few years ago, and that was with low wing plane with a .60 glow, not a problem, I never crashed whilst learning. I can fly using both methods, thumb and thumb/finger. I can fly fairly complex 3d manoeuvres using both methods without any hangups.

I have teached a few people how to fly since with great success.

Use common sense, learn to respect other peoples opinions and 99.9% of the time things will be fine. There enough rules and regulations in this country as is. By all means give friendly advice, but let people be free to think for themselves.

Reply to
Humpty Dumpty