Matching prop size to engine power to model weight

Yes, I know in models it's all by-guess-and-by-golly, but are there some thumbnails people use in getting a start?

Reply to
Jeffrey C. Dege

Yes there are!

There are a few charts based on prop loading, disc loading and other criteria on our new club site.

in the documents section.

FredD

Reply to
RedFred1

All of these seem to be based on gas engines.

Any help for the electricals?

Reply to
Jeffrey C. Dege

That's a whole 'nother can of worms! Because of gearing, electric motors can swing a wide variety of props. There are some ways to calculate what kind of power is required in certain models. One is "watts per pound". Watts are volts x amps. With 50 W/lb., the plane barely flies. With 100 W/lb., you can do 3D provided you have adequate control surfaces. Your best bet is to get a program such as MotoCalc, available at

to figure the best motor, prop and battery combo for your model.

Morris

Reply to
Morris Lee

and ask

Or ask me.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Dependong on teh flying speed, many parkflyers zoom arund nicely on less than 30W /lb. 50 is more than adequate for sport/scale.

With 100

No, more like 120W/lb for any decent top speed...

I'll add around 75W/lb for warbird or fast aerobats.

Even then its non trivial.

Best ios to pos up plane, size, weight, what motor and box, and ask...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher