Radio without xtal

I'm not going to waste my time providing cites to people who don't care to read them anyway. I've had several discussions with people who assert that anyone can change the crystals. Most of them already had heard that it was something they weren't supposed to do. Even after being shown the regulations, prior discussions on the subject, and comments from experts in the industry, they still said they were going to do what they want. This discussion is just another example, as your words below show.

Yes, you ARE looking for loopholes. The FCC says the end user can't change crystals by themself. Industry experts say end users can't change crystals by themselves. Manufacturers say end users can't change the crystals by themselves. The discussion you cited ended with the same conclusion. In spite of all these sources, you still try to interpret the rules in a manner that makes it sound ok for end users to change their own crystals.

The difference is meaningless. The point to the discussion is that end users should not change the crystals. The primary reason in the US is that it's against FCC regulations. The FCC says this. The manufacturers say this. Many industry experts say this. Doing a lawyer wannabe analysis of the regulations trying to dispute these sources does little but give people an excuse to ignore the regs. I can hear Joe Sixpack now, "Dat Doug guy on dem dar usenet news thingie said it was ok, so golly, it must be ok. Hey bubba, check this out..." In the end, unless you work for the FCC, or are a judge trying a case on this subject, your interpretation of the rules is insignificant. This rule does not create a significant burden, or expense. It's pathetic that people who spend hundreds or thousands of $ on engines, radios, and models look for excuses to save the $20 to $30 it takes to properly change a crystal.

For the safety of all of us, people should follow the advice of industry experts (rather than the local bubba), the manufacturers, and FCC regulations.

When people have to answer the same question over and over, they tend to shorten it to something that's in your words, "broilerplate-ish".

Anyone who tells the average Joe that it's ok to change his own Tx crystal, if he's in the US, is ignorant, or irresponsible.

Reply to
C G

Ditto the thanks Doug!

Interestingly, Kraft radio had a synthesized radio some 20 years ago. And both the TX and RX could easily change freqs with the spin of a couple of switches. As I recall though, they were somewhat cost prohibitive.

And I seem to recall in more recent years a synthesized radio where you set the TX freq and the RX picked it up and adjusted automatically. I do think there was jumper cable involved in this but don't recall the details.

Chuck

Reply to
Chuck Jones

By the same logic, do you change broken antennas? Or do you run to the radio repair man and have him screw it in? The antenna connects to the internals not unlike the crystal does. So why can I replace an antenna and not a crystal? And don't try to hand me any crap about the antenna not affecting the transmission properties of the radio.

Reply to
Chuck Jones

And you do? Pray tell! What are your qualifications?

Reply to
Chuck Jones

One thing I do think we should remember with all this. Government regulations are notoriously way behind the available technology. Not to say this negates any legalities. Simply stating that perhaps the FCC regs would read quite differently if they were reviewed by someone who understood the subject and took into account the available technology.

Reply to
Chuck Jones

Good! Go be a freq nazi somewhere else!

Fact is, I can change a crystal and neither you, your experts nor the FCC would be able to tell the difference. With the exception of any labels on the box.

proving there are total jerks throughout this hobby! Yet another reason I am thankful I don't have to rely on the AMA and the club system.

Reply to
Chuck Jones

Ask them if the TX comes from the factory tuned to the specific channel. I dare you!

Reply to
Chuck Jones

Fact is CG, I do have the equipment, the knowledge and the certifications. Not that I use them much anymore, but I do have them. And I know how to use them. Do you?

And I never argued the legality of any of this. I argued two specific points. See if you can figure them out!

And I'll add one more point. You're a dip shit who reads what they want to read, lacks the decency and comprehension to give others the respect their words are due, and you like to put words of your own choice into others meanings.

So piss off! I think all that hot air on top has made you excessively tail heavy and you've snapped a bit too hard!

Reply to
Chuck Jones

Chuckie, meet Kevie... Kevie.... Oh, you know one another??

Why am I not surprised???

Reply to
Bill Fulmer

I've never broken one.

Reply to
C G

It's pretty easy to read the rules, any one of a number of FAQs, or the manufacturer's instructions and realize that the average Joe Sixpack can't change the tx crystal on their own.

Reply to
C G

I'm just telling people the rules. If you've got issues with them, it's not my problem. Take your issues elsewhere.

Yes, your lack of concern for your fellow modellers does show that you are quite a jerk.

Reply to
C G

Doug,I red em and I agree...one word...........MUUDDDD

`should

Reply to
Mike

No, I don't have the equipment, or the certs, but I don't change tx crystals or tell people that they can change them on their own. All I did is provide the OP with information about the regulations and suggestions on a better course of action. What have you done for him? The answer is NOTHING. You've just been blowing facts out of you ass trying to impress people. Too bad, I'm not impressed.

Mostly what you've done is use this thread as an excuse to hurl insults. There have been a few technical comments, but they're only remotely related to the issue of whether Joe Sixpack can or cannot legally change a tx crystal on his own.

If you want respect, don't be an ASSHOLE Chuckie! Your first reply to me was "Let me guess! You own stock in some radio repair outfit? That or you're some "Big Brother! Protect us" nut case!". This was in response to me telling the OP that he shouldn't just buy a crystal and plug it into the Tx. Your response earns you NO RESPECT! It's a pity that your personal issues get in the way of the messages you are trying to send.

You're obviously lacking in the social skills that would enable you to engage in polite discussions. Maybe you should go to the library and check out a few books on how to get along with others. Until then, crawl back into the cave that you and other anti-social people like to hid in. You're just a blowhard spouting information that doesn't change the fact that Joe Sixpack shouldn't change his Tx crystals.

Reply to
C G

Just curious. Since reading some of this thread, about how the local hobby shop deals with the sale of xmitters.

Say you have 3 or 4 receivers in models and want a new xmitter. Local hobby shop etc would just ask you what frequ you want and change the xmitter xtal to suit, like the rest of the word does. Unlikely they would have any test gear, so...

David

Reply to
quietguy

At my LHS I just had him order the new tx on the frequency I wanted. I am using 6 meters so he pretty much has to order em anyway.

Reply to
Fubar of The HillPeople

| At my LHS I just had him order the new tx on the frequency I wanted. | I am using 6 meters so he pretty much has to order em anyway.

Of course, on the 6 meter band the regulations are totally different, and you can replace the crystal, rewire the transmitter, modify it, boost it's power output to one full watt, make your own antennas, whatever.

Reply to
Doug McLaren

Well thats a surprise....NOT.. Sure they will tell you to do that because THEY WANT YOUR MONEY!!! Mike

Reply to
Mike

Yea! I can see where facts don't impress you. Gets in the way of your bias and rants!

Try again! You claim the FCC rules are in place because, "It's done because the tx may be out of spec with a new crystal."

I and several others have been arguing that modern radios are designed to avoid this. However, you chose to ignore such statements and harp on the legality of the matter. As I said before, legalities aside, the radios are DESIGNED for us to be able to change the crystals without problems. Granted, you have to be smart enough to get the right crystal. And I'm sure that poses a problem for some. But the TX from the factory are tuned to a center freq of either the entire band or the upper or lower half of the band. Depending on the manufaturer. Because of this center tuning, one can insert a crystal from anywhere in the band and the system will be in specs.

I don't want your respect because then I know I'd be doing something wrong. I've concluded that you are the "Big Brother! Protect us" nut case! I neevr argued the legalities of it. But at the same time, you never acqknowledge the fact that crystals can be safely changed. You're blind to anything Big Brother doesn't (in your mind) allow.

I treat others in a manner I think they deserve. Don't like it? Review your own actions before you throw rocks at anyone else.

Reply to
Chuck Jones

The average sixpack, and that includes you, cant even change a wet nappy.

Can you count beyond ten with your socks on?

Thought not.

This conversation was for people who are smart enough to change nappies as well as type randmomly on a computer keyboard. Not people who have the same menatl age as when they stopped using them. That lets you out.

Close the door behind you.

You do know how to do that don't you? Or do you need a qualified technician?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher