Senior Telemaster

BTW.....Shop.com has the 18cc Featherlite blower for $54.00 right now. Hard to beat that price for an engine you can literally fly for a decade or more.

Bill Fulmer wrote:

Reply to
AV8R

Hi Frank:

I agree with you except for those of us who fly at a lot higher elevation than you do in Tennessee. Here in the high plains of Texas most of us use the highest engine size recommended for "fly on the wing aircraft" and more power than that for aerobatic types.

Reply to
Jarhead

Reply to
Morgans

"Frank Schwartz" wrote

OK, OK, you have made your point. Don't overpower your planes, right?

I've got to ask, though. Why do you feel such strong opposition to what someone else wants to do? So what if some people like to go zipping around overpowered? So what if they like to climb out - straight up - after a 5 foot takeoff roll?

Different strokes for different folks. Everyone is different.

I think everyone knows what category they fit into. If a kit says use "X" sized motor, and they put an "X times two" motor on a kit, I don't think they are likely apt to need someone to tell them what category they fit into, do you?

Reply to
Morgans

These kind of people really bug me: "If it's not what I think is right, than nobody should do it."

"Why do you need a motorcycle with a 150HP engine?" "Why do you need a 20-round magazine for your rifle?" "Why do you need a pocket knife with a 4" blade?" ...etc., etc..

I think maybe it's based on fear? They're jealous of anyone not afraid of the things they are?

I think the guy should put an O.S. 1.60 on his Sr. Telemaster with a huge chromed tuned pipe running the entire length of the fuse, if that's what he wants. ;-)

Good flying, desmobob (My spellchecker suggests I change "desmobob" to "disrobe"!)

Reply to
Robert Scott

On Mon, 04 Sep 2006 11:43:16 GMT, "Robert Scott" wrote in :

I have an engineer friend who loves to overpower models. I have to keep tackling him and force-feeding sedatives to him when he starts ranting about putting a .60 on a Gremlin. :-O

I mated his FX .91 two-stroke to his .40-size Duraplane because that's what he wanted. Apart from some weird tuning problems (probably due to an air-leak in the remote needle valve), the plane flew and was "tons 'o fun."

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

Some planes simply were not designed to go zipping around with more power than needed. The Telemaster is one of them. I've seen a lot more crashes from planes being overpowered (and usually underflown) than when flown with the recommended power. Power is a macho thing in many cases - unfortunately flying skill doesn't always go with it.

Red S.

Reply to
Red Scholefield

Lighten up some, guys.

You have to realize that Frank came from an era of tube radios and electronic interruption of flight of a free flight model.

Back then the highest goal was to have a flight that was completed without a crash. That was much easier said than done, even by the pros (of which Frank was one) of that era.

When radio gear cost you a month's wages at a good paying job, you have a different perspective on the hobby. You should live so long.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

Ok, fellows...in answer to some who wanted to know, "Why do you care?" Well, having raised a family by myself, I had to be Mom and Dad..and I often found myself saying "don't do that, you will hurt yourself" or something else to that evffect. By the same token, I would not let them go to church or a nice party dressed like a tramp or a clown...and again..commonsense dictates that one use th eappropriate tool to do a certain job. One would not necessarily use a large plumbers wrench to put on a prop nut....and that kinda makes sense to me, at least. And those who go double power in their planes, are, in my opinion, doing something that is not necessary and often more expensive than what is actually required...but as they say, different strokes for different folks... nuff said.. Frank

Reply to
Frank Schwartz

Aye, aye... lightening up.

Cripes Ed, at first I thought you were sticking up for the guy but now I get the impression you're just using the opportunity to call him a has-been and a dinosaur...

;-)

(The above "wink" emoticon is evidence of my lightening up.)

Almost completely lightened up and giggling mischievously, desmobob

Reply to
Robert Scott

Sorry, Ed... I couldn't help myself. I spent nine hours at the field today and didn't wreck any of the models I brought (Force One delta, Ultimate .40,

25% Giles 202). I'm a little giddy. :-)

Good flying, desmobob

Reply to
Robert Scott

I'm already trying to figure out how to balance my gremlin with my Webra speed 50 on it. :) mk

Reply to
MK

Congratulations to you, Bob. Making it home with all models intact is an accomplishment, indeed.

It was too hot for me to fly again today. Oh well. Maybe soon.

Why do folks hold an SPA (Senior Pattern Association) pattern contest in the hottest month of the year (August)? Most OF's like me just can't take the heat. Late September or early October would have been much better.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

From what I've seen since the 60's (when I was modeling before) to now is that in those days there were more sportand scale flyers. The scale planes were mostly flown in a somewhat scale like sedate fashion. Don't misunderstand, I also seen models of early planes that perform manuvers that the real life conterparts would crash trying.

Now it seems like everyone wants a plane that will go veritcle from here to the moon or hang on a propeller or other such things. Unfortunately I think the days of the sport flyer are gone forever. Show up at the club flyng field with a sport flyer and you will get comments like, you know you could fly that in some of the parks you really don't need to bring that to the club field. Electric 3D's are acctable though, strange!

Roy

Reply to
Roy Minut

Another reason to not turn up at the club, and stay in a nice field.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

On Tue, 05 Sep 2006 04:24:47 GMT, "MK" wrote in :

"This is the police.

"We have you surrounded.

"Put the Webra down and come out of the shop with your hands up! You will not be harmed if you surrender quietly!"

Two guys in our club worked .46s onto the stock Gremlins. They weren't much good for combat (more weight & speed mean a larger turning radius), but they seemed to be having fun with them. One fellow would just drop his plane to launch it.

I took my two Gremlins out yesterday to trim them out for a demo on Sunday. I use a TT .36 and a GMS .32 on mine.

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

A "Gremlin" with a big engine?? OK, I give up! What is a Gremlin??? Frank

Reply to
Frank Schwartz

Foam flyingwing for combat. mk

Reply to
MK

On Tue, 05 Sep 2006 15:09:40 GMT, "MK" wrote in :

Yup.

But the two Gremlin pictures are on the third page, down at the bottom:

The Gremlin was designed by Eric Evl-1 Henderson, former president of the NSRCA, columnist for Model Aviation, and an all-around strange and wonderful RC character.

Plan sets are (or were) $7 plus shipping from RCM.

Gremlins have been eclipsed by newer designs with a different aspect ratio, but I'm happy enough with what I've got for the two or three combat rounds I fly each summer (unofficial fun-fly stuff).

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

Which club Roy?