Chprop command

Re Architectural Desktop 3.3 I've recently been having an issue with chprop. Using the button menu, I used to be able to change the color of an entity just by picking it and choosing whatever color I wanted. Now for some reason when I pick an entity and try and change the color, it takes the color I picked and changes that as the default color for everything without changing the entity I picked. If I use the chprop on the command line it seems to work fine. It's likely that I could have unknowingly changed a setting somewhere to cause this but I can't figure it out. I'm hopng someone can offer a solution. Thanks in advance. Geo. PS

Reply to
geo.nova

It sounds like the button has become reassigned. What's the command line say when you use the button?

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

Is the "entity" a block or attribute?

Ted

Reply to
Ted

Good question!

As an aside, coloring individual entities on a common layer probably isnt the best strategy to go with.... if you need to assign properties to entities (line type, thickness, color etc) then having a good layering stratefy makes it very easy to manage. plus you get the bonus of being able to turn layers on and off to make easy 'masks' for selection.

Shaun

Reply to
Shaun Van Poecke

That's a matter of opinion, and I'll differ with you on it. Always drawing "BYLAYER" is a common strategy in color-based plotting systems, but if you do that you will eventually end up with UCDS (Ugly Cad Drawing Syndrome). The main symptom of this syndrome is graphically inappropriate equivalence of lineweights. (Lineweights are the same because objects are on the same layer, not because it makes the drawing easier to read.)

The primary reason for layering is for visibility: the ability to turn it on or off...together. Sometimes, maybe even often, for the sake of legibility, you need to have different linewidths on the same layer, and that is why you have that option in AutoCAD and all other cad packages that I know. Many people use BYLAYER as a crutch, and that's fine if it makes their jobs easier, but it's not a panacea.

Drawing with many colors on the same layer as a default definitely makes the quick visual check of your layering more difficult, since everything on the layer is not the same screen color, but that's not to say that you shouldn't do it if it suits your purposes. Many people draw many different kinds of things for very different purposes with AutoCAD.

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich