DWF to DWG conversion

Hi,

Does anyone know of a conversion program (preferably shareware) that will let you convert dwf's to dwg. I need to convert a handful of dwf's for a student project but the only one I can find is by IntelCad and they want $120 US for it which is not really an option on my budget. Any helpful suggestions gratefully accepted.

Matt S

you have to scan them in & scale em up. doubt it will give you the results you are looking for.

Reply to
longshot

Is the project "to convert these files"? If not, why not just ask for the DWG's? If the author wants you to have them, then you will get them and save the trouble of converting. Generally, a DWF is given to others when the author DOES NOT want the receipent to have the DWG.

You might look here also.

R.K. McSwain

No the project is not to convert the files, the project involves building a scale model of an existing building. The designer of this building has a selection of drawings available in DWF format on their website, given that it was a large project built years ago I think the chances of them having the dwg files on their server would be somewhere around zero I think and the chances of them being interested in retreiving them from archives as a favour to me would be somewhat lower. Consequently I am attempting to convert the available material as indicated in my original post. Given the nature of the images I would imagine they were converted to DWF for size reasons more than any desire to protect proprietary data so I don't think I have a problem there. I am aware of the intelCad option unfortunately what I really need to be able to do is print the coverted files so I can make model templates which I can't do without buying their program which I can't afford - so that is pretty much a deadend

Thanks for your helpful >

Call around and find someone who will give you working drawings to another home/building

Reply to
Chris Gyotar

Ah the woes of a student. Asked to do a project, find that you need software to do the project, lack the money for the software, stuck between a rock and an illegal (pirating) place.

If I were you, I'd find a way to print the DWFs, preferably onto a regular printer that'll do 11x17. Then make plenty of copies of the pages, and use those as templates for your model pieces. You may have to wing it on some pieces using this method. But as far as I can see, and don't take this the wrong way or anything, if the project is to build a model of an existing building, you're wasting valuable time stuck on trying to find a way to convert .DWF files.

Anyway, good luck.

Reply to
Adam Weiss

My 1:50 scale model took me around 35-40 hours, and I was working from my own working drawings....better start cracking...oh if you are going to paint it...paint it BEFORE you assemble it!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Gyotar

Found a compromise - although debateable whether it was worth it. Used the IntelCAD demo program to pull the DWF into a cad session then pulled critical dimensions from that and redrew enough of it from scratch to generate some templates. This will teach me to get over ambitious with my model making (Kansai airport terminal seemed like a winner when I thought I had working dwgs to go on.....)

Reply to
Moot