Gif/jpg to autocad?

I'm fairly new to autocad, although I've programmed CNC vertical mills
with Smartcam for years, and I've gotta say, I'm picking up autocad
like a duck to water.
The only thing thats really stumped me so far is converting files
over....if its even possible at all. I've got a black and white
line-art .gif file, and I would like to convert it to a DXF or DWG
file so that I can dimention it all out, program it and cut the shape
into a chunk of aluminum as a decorative thing.
I've tried a couple online converters for gif to autocad, but haven't
had any sucsess yet. Is there an easy way to do this?
Thanks in advance for your help
Shawn
Reply to
ST
There's no direct way to go from raster to vector in acad. You'll have to recreate the artwork with vectors, or find some nifty add-on that might do it.
Reply to
Michael Bulatovich
Hi The slickest way I've used to get a graphic to vector is by having a sign shop do it,
Their conversion program beats even what I've seen wintopo do !
Sorry couldn't tell you the name of the sign software though :-(
Ron
Reply to
Ron McNeil
Perhaps they were using the WinTopo Professional version rather than the Freeware version?
Reply to
Greg Tahala
See
ttp://potrace.sourceforge.net/potrace.html it could help you.
and
convert the gif into bmp
Reply to
ph
try SCAN2CAD. It's not bad.
Softcover International Ltd 364 Milton Road Cambridge CB4 1LW England Tel: +44 (0)1223 42 43 42 Fax: +44 (0)1223 42 44 00 Email: snipped-for-privacy@softcover.com Web:

If you have lots of $$ you can try Autodesk's Raster Design 2005. I had = a chance to work with it recently and it works quite well. =20
Garth.
Reply to
G. Willis