Gif/jpg to autocad?

I'm fairly new to autocad, although I've programmed CNC vertical mills with Smartcam for years, and I've gotta say, I'm picking up autocad like a duck to water.

The only thing thats really stumped me so far is converting files over....if its even possible at all. I've got a black and white line-art .gif file, and I would like to convert it to a DXF or DWG file so that I can dimention it all out, program it and cut the shape into a chunk of aluminum as a decorative thing.

I've tried a couple online converters for gif to autocad, but haven't had any sucsess yet. Is there an easy way to do this?

Thanks in advance for your help Shawn

Reply to
ST

There's no direct way to go from raster to vector in acad. You'll have to recreate the artwork with vectors, or find some nifty add-on that might do it.

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

Hi The slickest way I've used to get a graphic to vector is by having a sign shop do it,

Their conversion program beats even what I've seen wintopo do !

Sorry couldn't tell you the name of the sign software though :-(

Ron

Reply to
Ron McNeil

Perhaps they were using the WinTopo Professional version rather than the Freeware version?

Reply to
Greg Tahala

See

ttp://potrace.sourceforge.net/potrace.html it could help you.

and

convert the gif into bmp

Reply to
ph

try SCAN2CAD. It's not bad.

Softcover International Ltd

364 Milton Road Cambridge CB4 1LW England Tel: +44 (0)1223 42 43 42 Fax: +44 (0)1223 42 44 00 Email: snipped-for-privacy@softcover.com Web:

If you have lots of $$ you can try Autodesk's Raster Design 2005. I had = a chance to work with it recently and it works quite well. =20

Garth.

Reply to
G. Willis