Laggy Object snap time

Running ADT 2.0 on Win 2k

On this one file, when i try to do anything that has the use of object snaps to an AEC entity (ie. snap line to endpoint of wall/circle to midpoint of window) autocad laggs/mouse movement becomes choppy and autocad can't deside what snap to use (ie i have multiple snaps enabled).

i know its not because of the following possible issues:

  1. to many object snaps enabled, because i typically always have these enabled and never have a problem.

  1. In the options menu, under the AEC editor tab the "object snap" option for 'optimize for speed' is checked, and typically always is.

Now keep in mind i have my paper space layouts all ready and primed for me to complete the construction drawings, and if i "insert" the drawing (wblock or not) into a new drawing, i loose all the paperspace entities i've created.

i've tried making a wblock of the drawing (which retains the paperspace layout) but still has very laggy object snaps.

any suggestions for solving this issue?

Reply to
Adam B

This probably isn't it, but might be worth checking on if you don't get any better responses:

What fonts are you using? I've found that AutoCAD (R14 - so maybe ADT2 is simulair) sometimes doesn't handle .ttf as well as .shx fonts.

Also, if you haven't already, purge the drawing to see if that helps. If you "insert" the drawing (wblock or not) into a new drawing, does it still lag? I realize that you'll lose your paperspace stuff but I'm just trying to narrow down what the problem might be.

GL,

Michael (LS)

Reply to
Michael (LS)

michael:

purge all the time but just noticed a few entities

audit all the time no errors

office standard text for annotations and dims is romans

however i have about 50-60 aec door/window tags (a little more then typical for me) but still shouldn't be the problem.

the text for the tags is swiss721bt

yes, still laggy after i tried insert

the drawing is still workable, but i spend about 3 time the normal time i spend on snaps

any other suggestsion?

Reply to
Adam B

FWIW, I have found that keyboard snap entry is not noticeably slower than usual in files where the running osnaps have gone "laggy"...

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

Michael B,

your right in the manual snap is quicker then auto o-snap. but its a pain in the but to type in the commands. even if i make a macro outof it, having autocad automatically do it is so much more efficent.

any suggestsion?

Reply to
Adam B

Some have them programmed into their F keys. You could amend your PGP file.......

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

Tom, how far is "extremely far" (in magnitude)?

Another long shot is that there is a large number of possible , and not necessarily visible, snaps in the aperture. (Clipped xref's can have snaps beyond their clipping boundary)

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

This a long shot, but check your limits. Also look for any odd things that are out of the focus are of the drawing, such as an insertion point that is extremely far out from the actual drawings.

I haven't experienced that in a while, and can't remember ever noticing an exact cause. Several years ago, though, I started being much more careful about limits, and such. That seemed to eliminate alot of 'goofy' happenings.

Reply to
TomD

Sadly, I can't really quantify it. The best I could give you is 'ridiculously' far from everthing else. You know, the kind where when you do a zoom extents, you end up with a dot in each corner of the screen. ;)

Reply to
TomD