Layer Names

Hi all,
In the office we have a job where we are required to use a project extranet
system and as one of the rules of the system we are supposed to work to a
standard layering convension 'Uniclass' which is similar to CI/SfB and
BS1192.
Our company is of a structural engineering disipline and we are finding
these layer names are more 'geared up' for Architects. When it comes to the
structural frame of a building there are very few layers that we are able to
use whereas for a ceililng for example (which is of no interest to us!)
there are about 5 different layers.
I'd like to here from any structural engineering companies that have managed
to overcome such problems or who simply know more about this Uniclass
system.
The construction industry standards always seem to be developed from an
Architects perspective which doesn't meet the needs of all members of the
construction process, Its about time civil and structural engineers
established a firmer position in the industry and society in general.
Anyway, I digress, please let me know your thoughts on the above.
Lee
Reply to
Lee Meadowcroft
make up your own layer names and standards for line-types and pens for each layer you need to use. And then ignore and or purge any unwanted. Start with making up a "legend" that would include every symbol and linetype you would use in a drawing and use only those. There is no rule saying you have to use some standard produced by anyone else. The stronger stance you may need to take is the one that will get you out of that box you are thinking in. Use the orientation you find in "architectural" names and make up your own...i.e. s_holdowns_f could be the holdowns on the foundation, s_holdowns_1 could be HDs on the first floor framing...etc. I have yet to see any design firm who uses an inert "industry standard" for layering names, LTypes,Colors.
Glenn
Reply to
Glenn Ogreenc
All very well saying ignore the layering standard but there is a CADChecker program that checks your drawings and any that don't comply get returned to sender. We must use the Uniclass layering system. Also, we need to please the client who are hosting the extranet because there is the potential for loads more work.
Lee
Reply to
Lee Meadowcroft
If your using AutoCAD 2002 on subscription or AutoCAD 2004, you can make use of the Layer Translator. Simply set up your layers like you usually do, prior to submittal you create a tranlation map and use the utility to translate the layers to their standards.
Reply to
Chip Harper
The problem is not that we are required to use different layers than what we are used to but that the 'Uniclass' layering system doens't have enough layers for a civil and structural engineer.
Reply to
Lee Meadowcroft
What do the people running the extranet have to say about this situation?
You have spoken to them about it?
DJE
Reply to
Daniel J. Ellis
The layering is being implemeted by the contractor who is also the client. They tell us that they have run major projects successfully this way before without any problems. Therefore, we find that it is our problem to comply. We are in the process of finding other companies or people that have dealt with a similar situation, hence the message posted by myself to this group.
Lee
Reply to
Lee Meadowcroft
Then you need to direct the problem to perhaps people in the "other companies" they worked with before perhaps; if thy are going to be so rigid and instruct you that you must use a layer naming system that is irrelevant to your task. As a consultant you need to make your client aware of what *you* need to perform the work. Basically what you are saying seems irrational from this end. Unless you ant to start calling your beams "doors" and your girders "plumbing fixtures".
Reply to
Glenn Ogreenc
Check out
you can download the latest AEC (UK) Layer Standard.
Glenn Ogreenc wrote:
Reply to
MM
Sorry I can't offer more advice to you. I can empathize, for what little that may be worth to your situation.
You might want to post specifics about a couple of your major problems with following the required standard. Maybe someone here can help 'work-around' solutions that will ease the pain.
$%^&@$ architects! ;)
Reply to
TomD