Plotting 2d views of a 3d model (Autocad 2006 - vanilla)

Hi,
I'd like to plot some plans and sections of a 3d model of a staircase. So far, I'm a bit disappointed with the quality of what's emerging -
with several lines (usually the edges of cylinders) absent from the plots and, in a couple of places, extra lines appearing as though dispsilh was on the wrong setting.
Does anyone have any tips for doing this kind of thing?
Thanks.