using a tif as a background block

I need to bring a tif file or whatever file format will work into AutoCAD to use as a background, I would like to make it a block so I can add it to a
view port when needed. I can get the tif file into AutoCAD but when I can't select it when I try to make a block
I have the same problem when I drag and drop an image but if I use the MAPIINSERT command (I am using autocad map 2006) I am able to use the IMAGEFRAME command to solve this problem.