WORK?

Is it ok to post about work offers here?
Well here goes. I have some simple work that needs to be completed. I have a house designs in autocad format. The drawings are pretty good
I need wood truss and framing details. Thats it.
I have about 6 to do with maybe more. I will send you a sample drawing as an example. If interested please contact me I am looking for someone with a large amount of experience in this area and can turn over one set of drawings a week.
When somebody is looking for somebody to do some "simple work", that usually means they won't pay much.

Are you interested? Are you qualified in this area? I think the pay will be competitive you dont have to do anything until a price is agreed upon
CW wrote:

Suggest you get a contact in the local truss industry (like me) and work out a deal to do the truss layouts. That contact can avoid redraws since if he/she does their job right, they will check that the trusses really are buildable, and the truss company that ends up getting the contract won't be calling you telling you that the trusses don't work as drawn,
fujka wrote:

So now you've got to invoice him for half the contract, right?

Not at all. Simply warning him that trusses are a specialty. I have seen too many drawings by architects that simply could not be built as drawn.... and that was after their structural engineer had signed off their component. When I draw a building, I look at every truss to verify that it is buildable based on the specifications, local code, and good engineering practice. Many times I can simply tell at a glance that a particular truss will work, or will not work based on my years in the industry.
Different regions of the country are subject to different considerations as far as load criteria, and the availability of different species of lumber. Illinois has to design for snow, but Florida has to design for hurricanes. My expertise is in Florida and I would be at a loss designing for snow unless I had some time to adjust to designing for that condition. That is why I specifically recommended that he find a local truss designer who wants to moonlight. Some of the local truss companies, if they knew you would be a customer, would even do the work for free or would allow the cost of drawings to apply to the finally cost of the trusses.
Michael Bulatovich wrote:

Around these parts, truss suppliers do the design as part of the package. The building designer/architect needs only to specify the bearing walls. ___

See Paul's post- the same applies to these parts.
That was the gist of my not-so-funny joke. Telling him that trusses will be done for him gratis has got to be worth something since he was about to pay someone to do it for him.
--

MichaelB
www.michaelbulatovich.ca
Michael Bulatovich wrote:

Same here.
Tough crowd here tonight <sweating, fingers collar>

And he has to sign off those shop drawings that it follows the archiectural design. We see a lot of shop drwgs with omissions and errors. Mostly because they lack the time to infer missing details, and/or don't understand the design.

work
since
someone
set
He'd have to do that regardless of who drew it, no?

For sure.

contract
drawn,
one
Indeed they supply shop drawings when they quote if you ask for it.
Most of them use the Robbins Engineering Oline Plus TM from http://www.robbinseng.com/robbins/online_plustm.html
Regards R

work
since
someone
set
Well thanks to all for the ideas. The work is not even in this country. I am just looking for someone with experience doing this specific kind of work. These drawings will be used to build with. I understand all the legal issues if things were being built here but that is not the case with these drawings.
Robert wrote:

Where are these trusses going? Wood trusses are not common outside of North America due to the high cost of lumber in Europe, and the lower strength of the lumber species available elsewhere. We use Southern Yellow Pine, and other parts of the country use various Spruce/Pine/Fir species, both with high strength values. Some of the most expensive woods are that way because they have great grain patterns for cabinetry, but are relatively weak in the key measurements relevant to construction. The load criteria, the fact that the rest of the world uses metric dimension lumber, and the difference in strengths, make truss design here for other parts of the world very difficult. Metal trusses are a completely different story, and use different software.
fujka wrote:

Funny that you mention Robbins since that is what I use, but most do NOT use it. There are several programs in use, such as Mitek, Alpine, Truswal.
In the South Florida market you don't get a drawing until you sign a contract (unless the boss likes you or you are a regular customer that doesn't shop around for the price.)
However the South Forida market revolves around what are considerred ib the industry to be some of the most complex truss layouts in the country. In fact Robbins, Alpine and Mitek all headquarter in Florida and beta test here because of the complexity which gives for a truer test.
Robert wrote:

as a carpenter i have picked up many many faults when trusses arrived on site........ many wouldnt even form a simple valley that they were designated to do. plz see my post Curious.. posted today burt
Jerry are you interested? Do you know someone who would be? Can I email you direct?