anyone know any good books with lots of patterns for scroll work?

Cool story. :)

I got a question about firecracker powder.

Back in high school (late 60's) I would compare my homemade fire- cracker powder to what came inside any and all cherry bombs etc I could get my hands on and eneded up with some mighty fine powder! :)

So fast forward to the late 90's and got my hands on a "dud" aerial salute (young friend gave it to me) and of course did the same, but found their powder (looked like mine, G dark) was quite abit stonger than mine.

I haven't done my homwork on that :/ so don't have any answers just questions.

Antimony sulfide is my only guess at this point and don't feel like it's a good one. :/

I know you can't tell me here or even email, it's up to me to figure it out on my own. I want to know the answers whether I act on it or not tho! :)

Got any suggestions on where to look (begin again;)? :)

My favorite trick is to make everyone guess "how high" the 5 gallon bucket will go with -this- firecracker under it. One inch bore, hardly ever made anything bigger. You know what happens. :) But they don't... it gets ripped to pieces. But it's cool to get them to picture the strength ahead of time then find out there's a lot more energy in there than they thought. :)

Pressure cooker lid is another favorite of mine, right after gathering up the 5 gallon can pieces. ;)

Alvin in AZ

Reply to
alvinj

Hear that. Metalcraft scrolls don't have flats though. They certainly don't look forged, but some people don't care. I'm never going to do smithing for money so that part doesn't matter to me. But I do steel fabrication - railings, beam plates, stairways, fireplace surrounds etc. - so it's conceivable to me that if I could find something, some little wine rack or towel rack or log holder, something that I could sell, maybe I could conceivably make this pay. The guy who bought this stuff, the late brother of a friend, made his living doing street fairs & farmers markets selling scrollwork.

I appreciate that. I'm sure a lot of smiths would say that.

Grant

Reply to
Grant Erwin

I've heard that the patent office has gone all toothless and useless. Didn't they used to check on the patent applications prior to issuing, at one time?

When you succesfully defend yourself against a claim that is so far fetched, can you then turn around and sue for costs, or is it cheaper to just have someone killed?

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

Also noticed a couple of booklets at Dover.com

Martin

Mart> Ok Grant -

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

I can get the isbn numbers if needed - looked like 18xx various types. Some looked cast, but could be done in strip and rod.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH & Endowment Member NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member

Mart> Also noticed a couple of booklets at Dover.com

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Grant,

I would keep the scroll bender.

You can use straight off the shelf new steel -- 1 inch square tubing, some 1" by 1/8" strap, and make a mailbox post. Or bookshelf, or hall rack.

When your mother in law wants a doodad and doesn't know about or care about hand forging, take the simple, made-in-china look. Or if you want to sell some hat racks or picnic sets at a flea market. Or you want to make a pattern. Use the scroll bender and simple strap or rod. It is a shame to waste time making something for someone that really wants a shelf that looks like the one in the store.

Do your forging for people that want the forging. But keep the stuff around to make the less informed customer happy, too.

You might even find yourself combining the two aspects of the art for interior pieces, or fences, columns, and gates. Broaden your approach

-- and be able to hit a happy medium between a wholly forged bid, and a mass production bid.

My two cents.

Brad K. Ponca City, OK

Grant Erw> I just acquired a whole bunch of Metalcraft equipment. ...

Reply to
BradK