Blacksmith books in PDF format

Hi, I was just reading the digest from one of the yahoogroups and someone posted a link to a site with a few old blacksmith books in PDF format.

I havent had a chance to look at them in detail but on the surface they look good. This may be old news here but I'm new so give me a break:-)

Has anyone actually read these. I'm looking for advice or opinion on which ones might be worth printing so I can read them. It is near impossible to read this stuff on the tube. It is too hard on the eyes and I can not curl up in bed while doing it.

Al

Reply to
alpinekid

Darn! I just BOUGHT one of those books!

I'd bet they all have usefull stuff in them, the ones that I just checked out looked like they had some good stuff in them. You can never have too many references.

Reply to
don schad

I'm having trouble viewing these with Adobe Acrobat. Has anyone else had problems with them? I've tried "Wrought Iron Drawings" and a couple of other ones. Any ideas?

rvb

Reply to
Rick Barter

Adobe reader crashed on me, too. Might be a version issue. I have Adobe Acrobat Reader v6.0x, what do you have? Might be an older version would work, or perhaps a linux equivalent such as xpdf.

Daniel

Reply to
Daniel Dillman

Rob Fertner

no problem D/L here, although it was bit painful (Mozilla Firebird/Acrobat

5)

the links aren't straight html (they're scripted) hence the reason you can't right click and download. click on the links and it will (or should, if you have acrobat installed) open the document in your browser. Once it's displayed, use 'FILE|SAVE PAGE AS' to save the file to your HDD.

If it doesn't display, you should still see the direct URL for the document in your address bar. You could try saving the page (even though it's not displayed), you might get lucky, or you could copy and paste the URL in to a download manager like getright/star downloader/wackget/etc and get it that way.

some of the 'books' have been split into sections, so clicking on the link takes you to an intermediate page. Links to the sections are in a frame on the right (click on these links and follow the above procedure to save to your HDD)

Simon

Mozilla with reader v6 crashes for me also, pity.

Reply to
Bob Yates

Using Firebird with Adobe 6.x :(

Tried with stupid Internet Explorer too with same results. Therefore, I'm thinking it's Adobe. :(

rvb

Reply to
Rick Barter

The ones without the size are multiple files. The title is a link to a page that allows you to download each section.

I use linux and I have opened them with both xpdf and acrobat for mozilla under linux.

Al

Reply to
alpinekid

My adobe is the plugin for mozilla, adobe 5.0.8 I think, with mozilla

1.7b under the linux OS. I do not have a problem.

The web pages themselves may be some kind of microsoft nonstandard thing, the asp gives me the clue. The files that you get are standard PDF. I download the pdf using mozilla with the adobe plugin installed and then save from there. I use the pdf plugin to print with or xpdf. either one works.

Al

Reply to
alpinekid

There's the key, I think. Both people who say they've had no trouble are using Acrobat 5.x. We who are using Acrobat 6.x have nothing but trouble with these. This tells me that something in the files makes Acrobat 6.x choke.

This isn't the problem. We can load the page, but when Acrobat Reader plugin loads, it immediately crashes.

No, the address of the PDF file is never displayed, as the reader crashes before that point. At least in my case.

Find yourself an older version of Acrobat and try that, guys. See if it helps.

Daniel

Reply to
Daniel Dillman

Hmmmmm for once my old win98 and 3.01 adobe work!!!

tt

Reply to
Terry Thorne

perhaps someone would be so kind and put them up on their website for us dummies. thanks

Reply to
mrbonaparte

I was able to read them with Mozilla and my full blown pdf software 5.?.? There was one that there seemed to be a download issue - engineering metals IIRC but the 80 pages were there - so maybe a completion across the US across the Atlantic by way of ?? who know where ?? knowing the randomness of the internet...

martin

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

I used Adobe Reader 4.0 without problems. I have all the files, 140 MB and will share with those having problems.

Reply to
Jim

I'm a newbie to the group, but have been smithing precious metal and small pieces of steel for a long time. Adobe 6 on Mozilla 1.6 and IE 5.5 crashed on me too. It's an Adobe issue with those files, since I'm only having problems with the files on that site. Might have something to do with the fact that the site is .shtml rather than .htm or .html. Sure would like to see those .pdf files though.

Neal

Rick Barter wrote:

Reply to
Neal Pollack

Everything I have seen to date strongly suggests that the files are incompatible with version 6 of Adobe Acrobat. I have not yet had time to find an older version to load and try out, but I have no doubt that would work, as others using older versions have reported success.

Daniel

Reply to
Daniel Dillman

Have you tried saving the .pdf's to your hard drive and viewing them from there? Thats what I did and they all work fine for me. I'm using Adobe reader 6.0 and IE 6.0.2800. Alternately I could post my PDF's here. If people are okay with that.

Live forever or die trying.

WhenTheWifeLetsMe

Reply to
WhenTheWifeLetsMe

here's all the links to the pdf. Right click and save as.

alp> Hi,

mrbonaparte

Thanks my 6.01 reader couldn't get them

Mark