Blacksmith books in PDF format

Hi, I was just reading the digest from one of the yahoogroups and someone posted a link to a site with a few old blacksmith books
in PDF format.
http://www.countryside.gov.uk/NewEnterprise/Economies/craftpublications.asp
I havent had a chance to look at them in detail but on the surface they look good. This may be old news here but I'm new so give me a break:-)
Has anyone actually read these. I'm looking for advice or opinion on which ones might be worth printing so I can read them. It is near impossible to read this stuff on the tube. It is too hard on the eyes and I can not curl up in bed while doing it.
Al
alpinekid wrote:

Darn! I just BOUGHT one of those books!
I'd bet they all have usefull stuff in them, the ones that I just checked out looked like they had some good stuff in them. You can never have too many references.
alpinekid wrote:

I'm having trouble viewing these with Adobe Acrobat. Has anyone else had problems with them? I've tried "Wrought Iron Drawings" and a couple of other ones. Any ideas?
rvb
--
"It is not a sin to lie to your wife in order
to obtain more tools, it is necessary."
Rick Barter wrote:

Adobe reader crashed on me, too. Might be a version issue. I have Adobe Acrobat Reader v6.0x, what do you have? Might be an older version would work, or perhaps a linux equivalent such as xpdf.
Daniel
Daniel Dillman wrote:

Mozilla with reader v6 crashes for me also, pity.
Bob Yates wrote:

I was able to read them with Mozilla and my full blown pdf software 5.?.? There was one that there seemed to be a download issue - engineering metals IIRC but the 80 pages were there - so maybe a completion across the US across the Atlantic by way of ?? who know where ?? knowing the randomness of the internet...
martin
--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
Daniel Dillman wrote:

Using Firebird with Adobe 6.x :(
Tried with stupid Internet Explorer too with same results. Therefore, I'm thinking it's Adobe. :(
rvb
--
"It is not a sin to lie to your wife in order
to obtain more tools, it is necessary."
Rick Barter wrote:

My adobe is the plugin for mozilla, adobe 5.0.8 I think, with mozilla 1.7b under the linux OS. I do not have a problem.
The web pages themselves may be some kind of microsoft nonstandard thing, the asp gives me the clue. The files that you get are standard PDF. I download the pdf using mozilla with the adobe plugin installed and then save from there. I use the pdf plugin to print with or xpdf. either one works.
Al
I'm a newbie to the group, but have been smithing precious metal and small pieces of steel for a long time. Adobe 6 on Mozilla 1.6 and IE 5.5 crashed on me too. It's an Adobe issue with those files, since I'm only having problems with the files on that site. Might have something to do with the fact that the site is .shtml rather than .htm or .html. Sure would like to see those .pdf files though.
Neal
Rick Barter wrote:

Neal Pollack wrote:

Everything I have seen to date strongly suggests that the files are incompatible with version 6 of Adobe Acrobat. I have not yet had time to find an older version to load and try out, but I have no doubt that would work, as others using older versions have reported success.
Daniel
Have you tried saving the .pdf's to your hard drive and viewing them from there? Thats what I did and they all work fine for me. I'm using Adobe reader 6.0 and IE 6.0.2800. Alternately I could post my PDF's here. If people are okay with that.
Live forever or die trying.
WhenTheWifeLetsMe
On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 18:33:05 -0600, Neal Pollack

Can't save them by the tried and true method of just right clicking on the link. That just saves a link to the page. Gonna just have to bite the bullet, uninstall Acrobat 6, install 5, do the downloads and reinstall 6.
Neal
WhenTheWifeLetsMe wrote:

Uninstalled Adobe 6, installed Adobe 5. Downloaded all the files and transferred them to my iPaq so I don't have to sit at the computer and don't have to print them out. Doesn't scale very well on the small screen though. Going to try one of my OptiVisors...
Neal
WhenTheWifeLetsMe wrote:

I had a problem too. Someone told me to right click and save. Then open the pdf file from my hard drive. That worked for me. However, not all of them have pdf files to download, at the end of each paragraph look for the size of the pdf file. If it says it then you can download a file, otherwise nothing there to download. Rob

http://www.countryside.gov.uk/NewEnterprise/Economies/craftpublications.asp
In our last episode Rob Fertner wrote:

no problem D/L here, although it was bit painful (Mozilla Firebird/Acrobat 5)
the links aren't straight html (they're scripted) hence the reason you can't right click and download. click on the links and it will (or should, if you have acrobat installed) open the document in your browser. Once it's displayed, use 'FILE|SAVE PAGE AS' to save the file to your HDD.
If it doesn't display, you should still see the direct URL for the document in your address bar. You could try saving the page (even though it's not displayed), you might get lucky, or you could copy and paste the URL in to a download manager like getright/star downloader/wackget/etc and get it that way.
some of the 'books' have been split into sections, so clicking on the link takes you to an intermediate page. Links to the sections are in a frame on the right (click on these links and follow the above procedure to save to your HDD)
Instead of trying to build bigger and better weapons of mass destruction,
shouldn't we be trying to get better use out of the ones we've already
Simon wrote:

There's the key, I think. Both people who say they've had no trouble are using Acrobat 5.x. We who are using Acrobat 6.x have nothing but trouble with these. This tells me that something in the files makes Acrobat 6.x choke.

This isn't the problem. We can load the page, but when Acrobat Reader plugin loads, it immediately crashes.

No, the address of the PDF file is never displayed, as the reader crashes before that point. At least in my case.
Find yourself an older version of Acrobat and try that, guys. See if it helps.
Daniel
Hmmmmm for once my old win98 and 3.01 adobe work!!!
tt
perhaps someone would be so kind and put them up on their website for us dummies. thanks
Simon wrote:

Rob Fertner wrote:

The ones without the size are multiple files. The title is a link to a page that allows you to download each section.
I use linux and I have opened them with both xpdf and acrobat for mozilla under linux.
Al
I used Adobe Reader 4.0 without problems. I have all the files, 140 MB and will share with those having problems.