Kurt Knock-off Problem

"It always seemed to me that price should be the last consideration."
Was it in Bottlebob's case where the shop owner he works for purchased
Chinese Kurt knock-offs? Surely you don't think he's the only one who has done this?
"like the Allmatic vise because on top of being very rigid you can set the closing pressure. So if you have a part that tends to bow, crush or deform any monkey can run the job without over or under tightening the vise. Allmatic demos the vises at machine shows by chucking on an egg. You can try to tighten it as tight as you can but it won't let you break the egg."
Looks like the chips can get into the base pretty easily. I liked the vise they showed holding the exhaust manifold casting.
"Allmatic's quad type vises for mounting on a HMC pallet are definitly more rigid than the Chick. But you really have to be getting after it pretty hard before you notice any deflection in the Chick."
Do you think the aluminum base of the Chick is any disadvantage? The quad type Chicks were so nice to work with. Simple design and a just pleasure to change over. Part of the problem with Chick maybe that the original owner sold out. When that happens innovation usually goes out the window.
Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

It's an aluminum base AND aluminum tower. Try putting 40hp to the part that's in the upper vise position and see what happens.

They flex under heavy load.
But in the right application they are just fine.
--

Dan

CNC Videos - <http://tinyurl.com/yzdt6d

I believe that but why use overkill / spend more if you don't need to? Kind of like why a Haas is a fine machine for many applications and why it's the wrong choice for many others. In any case, I didn't know about the Dapra vises and I appreciate the link / post.
Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

You're right. I was making the same point by posting the Dapra link. There's always a product available that's better suited to a given job or set of circumstances. Rarely it's the least expensive alternative though.
--

Dan

CNC Videos - <http://tinyurl.com/yzdt6d

Dan,
Was Chick the first with a design that seems to have been copied by many? Do other work holding systems use the same kind of "Third- Hand" / slide assembly mechanism? You only need 1/4 turn to unload the top piece and then another 1/4 turn to unload the bottom piece.
I was just looking at this for small prototype work:
http://www.2linc.com/Pallet_Vise_workholding.htm
I like the idea. Seems pretty versatile.
Jon Banquer San Diego, CA
On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 14:38:56 -0700 (PDT), jon_banquer

Kind of funny the vise they show holding it.

Brewer it's funny that you wasted years "Reverse Stalking" Cliffy and now your the exact same thing he is... with the exception of some actual machining and CADCAM experience. Otherwise you're both very similar... total lying losers who make mistake after mistake after mistake.

Then you know you're in a Bottlebob type shop and you get the fuck out. Maybe Bottlebob's boss can sell those cheap Chinese Kurt knock- offs vise's to Gary Knutson when he stops by.
Jon Banquer San Diego, CA
jon_banquer wrote:

Jon:
    I fail to the benefit to you in trying to antagonize one of the few people in this newsgroup that has always tried to remain neutral in your battles with others, and has done his best to treat you fairly.

--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob

It's a mental disorder, Bob. He can't help it.
This is just one more case of Jon getting in way over his head, and making wild claims that he can't even begin to back up.
He says he'd "bet money" that Chick's System 5 could be changed over faster than Kurt's HD or Toolex's Snap Lock system, but refuses to explain how it can be any faster, given the fact that the mounting systems are all the same. (With the exception of Kurt's, which actually only takes a partial turn of the two center bolts to remove the center jaw, which actually makes it -faster- than the Chick)
He says the regular Kurt vise doesn't impress him and isn't anything special, but refuses to recommend any other alternative of the same quality at a similar price.
The poor guy is just a sociopath. He gets an idea about something, and all of the sudden it's the greatest thing in the world, and everything else is the worst thing in the world. I can't even fathom what it would be like to share a workplace with the guy.
Joe788 wrote:

LOL Jon promotes it.

Actually, it's a case of him getting you to provide your advice and experience for free by antagonizing you Joe. He's correct when he says he owns you.

There is that.
--

John R. Carroll
www.machiningsolution.com

Carol I thought you were going to sue me? Perhaps you need to increase you lawyer's retainer instead of drinking it. Know what I'm saying shitbag.
Jon Banquer San Diego, CA
jon_banquer wrote:

LOL "Sticks and Stones -- If you're being wiped out with evidence and reasoning you cannot refute, you can always take refuge in complaining about the language being used by your adversaries. For example, if they say, "I've already explained that it takes less gas to kill people than lice, and therefore there are fewer cyanide residues remaining on the gas chamber walls than on the delousing chamber walls, you moron," you can respond by complaining about their use of the word "moron." You can actually evade quite a bit of serious discussion by spending a lot of time condescendingly lecturing the newsgroup about their use of trashy language. But this approach doesn't work very well in building credibility. You may view yourself as an arbiter of social discourse but you'll actually come off like a den-mother scurrying around excoriating the little Cub Scouts to behave themselves."
--

John R. Carroll
www.machiningsolution.com

I think the term I heard tossed around by one of the CADCAM vendors at Westec was, "If he had a pot to piss in, he'd have been sued a half dozen times already."
When you've got nothing, you've got nothing to lose. And you by all means, have nothing.

When you're a lying piece of shit like you're, you have to hide behind an alias and never reveal your location. Because I'm not a little chicken shit pussy like you, I post with my real name and location.
What did you say your real name was?
Where did you say you were located?
What are you so afraid of you lying little scumbag?
Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

What lies? Like the ones you plastered all over the MMSonline message board, claiming that I sell cracked software. That went over real well for you, didn't it? Why didn't you post your name on any of those 3 dozen messages you left?
Can you please provide some quotes with dates of these "lies" that I supposedly told?
What did you say your real name was?
Where did you say you were located?
What are you so afraid of you lying little scumbag?
Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

What lies, lunatic?
What did you say your real name was?
Where did you say you were located?
What are you so afraid of you lying little scumbag?
Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

Joe.
Close enough that my vendors have great stories about you.

What lies? Where? When? Why do you keep calling me a liar but can't point out one single time that I've lied? Just one?