Kurt Knock-off Problem

On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 18:04:28 -0700 (PDT), jon_banquer

It was your link not Bob's.
Funny that the machinists in Bob's shop drive cars worth 10-20X yours, What a bunch of losers....LOL.

It was the first that I'd ever seen. But I don't know if it was the first.

I've seen similar systems. They are great for low lot size repeat work where saving changeover time is more important than maximizing the number of parts fixtured at one time.
I could see where if you were building prototypes it might be handy to be able to set up the job again to make a few more. Or make some changes and be able to quickly set up and machine some new ones.
--

Dan

CNC Videos - <http://tinyurl.com/yzdt6d
in

Dan,
You know the funny thing is that most prototype machinists I have met reject anything like this and always want to start from scratch. The concept makes perfect sense to me.
Jon Banquer San Diego, CA
in

Dan,
You know the funny thing is that most prototype machinists I have met reject anything like this and always want to start from scratch. The concept makes perfect sense to me.
Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

Yep. It's a fine product, but for basically the same price, you can get an iron system that doesn't have any of the drawbacks of the Chick system.
-Flex under heavy load. -Clamping/hold down mechanism for outer jaws is only .5 inch high. -Center jaw can't be flipped to be used on other jobs, but CAN be installed incorrectly/upside down. -Short jaw travel.
But hey, for somebody that's never used any other quality double position vise, it's "state of the art engineering," and nothing else even comes close!

I'd bet money that the Chick System 5 is much faster to change over and being lighter can really help. If you don't need the extra weight why have it... of course this logic escapes a brain dead, lying moron like Joe788.
Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

You'd bet money....except you've never actually used any of the other systems?
Both Toolex and Kurt's systems have a snap on outer jaw and two socket head cap screws for the middle jaw. How is the Chick going to be any faster to change over? It's exactly the same.
The Chick certainly is lighter. I don't see how a 40lb vise is going to take any less time to lift than an 80lb vise. Then again, I haven't been a CNC *operator* for 30 years, so maybe all of the vise handle turning has a negative effect on your lifting capability.