Kurt Knock-off Problem

Hopefully this won't be an issue. I've got a little leverage with Iscar and Haimer but most of what I'm looking at won't be in North America, let alone California.

Reply to
John R. Carroll

Garbage compared to these :

Jeffrey Lebowski

They must be really good then. Have you ever actually used a Wohlhaupter?

Reply to
John R. Carroll

Why of course.

Reply to
PrecisioNmachinisT

I thought you might have. What's the difference?

Reply to
John R. Carroll

Mostly the incredible ease and repeatability of fine diametral adjustments--see, on those the tool tip adjusting slide sits at an angle IIRC of appx 30 deg...only downside with the arrangement is that diameter adjustment also effects a cooresponding change in tool length--easy enough to deal with though as with the majority of fine boring operations in general the actual hole depth is not overly critical, and even so a change in length of a couple though still allows very easy blending to say an existing .005 floor rad....any programmer worth his mettle is always going to have the tool staying off of the floor by a tad anyways so as to eliminate there being any honk or ripple going on down there anyways, no ?

Any ways they wer the cats ass IMO and were the standard adjustable tool of choice for the jig bore, on the devliegs jig mill though Komet the guys put up against Wall Hopper when they began moving towards modular stuff and Komet won out--only the old wallhopper facing heads seeing continued use.

Now with all that having been said, my personal preferance here for boring anything larger than what your little finger will get stuck inside of is still the plain old devlieg style microbore...

Recalling Kennametal as having finally bought the line at some point in the late 80's early 90's when the universal houdaille tooling line was spun off of the machine tool side, not sure if the european "microbore" is the same thing but under a differen license or what.

Reply to
Jeffrey Lebowski

Sam, First, thanks for the feed back. I looked over several systems and went with the DigiBore from Germany. As you well know, there are always competing factors in such a decision and I was able to test two on the actual machine tool. Dan was right when he said chatter has little to do with "Quality" in a general sense. Get any and you can move on regardless statements or testimony that the system in question works great on some other guys hardware. Frankly, I don't much care about that. I have to produce the desired result with the machine at hand and a tool guy nocking a high dollar SNK will have a hard time getting my ear.

I was surpised at the manufacturers that agreed to bring in hardware as well as those that declined to do so.

Thanks again to all.

Best Regards

Reply to
John R. Carroll