OT Survey, Which Party Do You Think Will Be Better For Machine Shops?

snipped-for-privacy@lycos.com wrote:

The mantra is GROWTH. GNP has to increase and an easy way to do that is with immigration and jobs. Productivity helps but there are real limits to what can be done on that front. We'll have 500 million in America by 2050 and unless we adopt an immigration policy that is sane the growth will be heavily weighted in the wrong direction.

I don't. Anyone that hasn't been part of the work force wasn't counted then and isn't now. Twenty five or thirty percent unemployment is as bad as things have ever been and we are nearly two thirds of the way there today. The difference is in the social safety net we have now not the numbers and it's a net that's getting a lot of holes in it as the States run out of money.
I am only familiar with the California numbers but twenty percent - that's more than six million - of Californian's live at or below the federal poverty line. I think the number nationally is up to nearly fourteen percent at this point but it's hard to know. The Bush administration has changed their income calculation three times in the last six years in ways that overstate income at the low end of the scale. Even using the fed's numbers we have about 55 million folks not making it at all and the trend is up, not down, and has been for the last five or so years.
When people talk about widening income gaps, lower class mobility between the classes and less economic opportunity going forward or a lowered standard of living this is one of the important measures.
--

John R. Carroll
www.machiningsolution.com
On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 20:28:46 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@lycos.com wrote:

its closer to 30%, based on converstations with friends that work for ICE

DaveB wrote:

Sort of like the "Use of Force" authorization that Bush messed up. The problem doesn't lie in the authorization. It's in the judgement and excercise and Barney Franks had little to do with that. The mistake he made was trusting the administrations representations AGAIN. As you obviously have.
Lyndon LaRouche is an idiot.
--

John R. Carroll
www.machiningsolution.com

LMAO.....I agree,however when I see Dodds name attached to anything to do with mortgages it raises red flags.
This is in the same league as Rangel writing tax bills.
BTW....John, IMTS was very good......for some reason I actually enjoyed it.
DaveB
DaveB wrote:

All that proves is there really IS something wrong with you! LOL
--

John R. Carroll
www.machiningsolution.com

Countless? How many is that?
BottleBob wrote:

I don't buy this. While enough votes for a third party candidate might put the worse Republocrat in office, votes for third parties show up. Right now, there's not enough to make the Republocrats take notice. But trust me, when the outsiders start gaining enough ground to win elections, the big two will take notice. Might get ugly, but then, isn't it ugly already?
I see where you are coming from, but as long as everyone keeps acting on that premise, -nothing- will change. It just may be that this nation will have to take it in the shorts for a decade or two while a new power balance emerges. And it might be decades before that happens. But it will never happen as long as third parties are marginalized.
Jon
BottleBob wrote:

Bob, I routinely vote for a third party candidate for Pres. in California. Outside of Reagan CA. always goes Dem. for the President.
My hope is to send the Rep a message. I encourage my liberal friends to vote Peace and Freedom, Green, whatever.
The intent is to shake the system up.
Course I'm a child of the 60's.....but I don't have enough hair for a ponytail.
Best, Steve
--

Regards,
Steve Saling
Garlicdude wrote:

Exactly!
I was a tad late to be a genuine hippie, but I tried. By my junior year my hair was nearly to my waist. Musta used up my allowance... I finally accepted my fate and now sport a boot camp buzz cut.
Jon

Romney was destined to win the R ballot in the primary in my state (Michigan). Left me free to vote for Ron to send a message to the party. I really enjoyed that vote.
Come November, I'll vote strategicly, Sarah will make it easier to stomach.
Wes

The dems energy policy, global warming fantasies and 'solutions' would kill business. NEA (democrat insterest group) has sure ruined education. Dumb employees are expensive.
Then there is card check union organizing where thugs can force a union in w/o a secret ballot to further raise the cost of manufacturing.
Of course the tort lawyers will get all some many new ways to sue those that make money (produce).
I'm not thrilled with Mc Cain though I believe he isn't an empty suit like his opponent. Palin being on heartbeat away gives me some level of comfort, her being able to harangue him for bad ideas heartens me even more.
Afer all, neither party will really deal with the pressing problems since that would p*ss off voters. At least one won't waste as much weath and might actually have a few solutions.
Wes

[X] None of the above
Comments:
Neither party will be good or bad for machine shops. IMO, military spending & rebuilding is good for machine shops. It takes up capacity result is increased prices for other sectors. (This is not an endorsement for just an observation and my personal opinion.)
With regards to economy ship is already in motion, to change the direction for the next four years steering direction needed to start years ago. Economy can't turn on a dime, it can crash on one though.
To make real changes in the economy a party needs to control both houses and the presidency as well as a willingness to commit political suicide.
I don't see a difference between parties, seem to be just opposite sides to the same coin. Both spend our taxes to buy votes and stay in power. The game is to make people believe someone other than themselves is paying for it.
Haven't seen anyone, any party in office willing to put the countries welfare above their own.
Tom

http://www.allstays.com/c/walmart-alaska-locations.htm