Need help with device type....

Heya,

I have the need for a device which has the following requirements and was wondering if someone could tell me what the device is called:

-- It measures the angle at which an axis is rotated -- It knows the angle it is at, even if it has been moved while off

In my head I'm picturing an axle which has one wire per degree around the axis. As the axle rotates, it makes a connection with the wire at a particular degree which is how it knows its location on the axis.

Any help anyone could give me would be great.

-K

Reply to
Kev

That would be an Absolute Rotary Encoder

Try

Here you might be thinking of a drum sequencer - commonly used on old-style washing machines and occasionally seen around modern factories..

HTH, Cameron:-)

Reply to
Cameron Dorrough

You may also want to consider using a resolver, or if you can stand the maintenance, a good-ol' potentiometer. Each type has it's advantages, so if your application is really demanding you may have to choose carefully.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

You can use an optical encoder:

READ =
Absolute best, but "A Quad B" is OK as long as it passes it's home position one time at startup and control system not turned OFF. These are good below for around $ 100, I get 1/4 th degree resolution using them tied into HS counter inputs on a Heya,

Reply to
mindspringnews