Amperage pull of a computer?

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 22:53:51 -0500, Keith R. Williams Gave us:

Figures. You are probably a PornTard too!

Reply to
DarkMatter

I'm running 1-4% on a P4 HT 2800 MHz.... about everything is sitting except Windows Media Player.

Reply to
Charles Perrin

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 06:32:04 GMT, Charles Perrin Gave us:

You guys are funny with your PCs... All dressed up, and dumbed down by their operators.

Reply to
DarkMatter

No, Ross, I am assuming nothing. A DMM with an amp clamp costs more than a DMM without an amp clamp. A 1% resistor would cost about 5 bucks. As to the conversion: just exactly how hard is it for him to multiply by 10?

Reply to
ehsjr

Perhaps you missed the second part of his request: "or if there is an easy way for me to determine this on my own. "

Either approach - providing him with an approximation or providing him with an easy way to determine it on his own - answers his first paragraph request.

When you read on to his second paragraph, ONLY the measurement techniques answer that: "I have other devices that I'd like to know also, such as electronic music synthesizers and an audio mixer."

Reply to
ehsjr

I don't run it myself, as I can't afford the heat/electricity. IIRC, it has to do with finding a cure for cancer by "folding" proteins. More info here:

Anthony Fremont

Here's what I do with my machines.

1) Dual PII-450 - vgetty answers my phone and takes messages; MythTV manages all my music, videos, and time-shifts worthwhile TV programs; Zoneminder guards my stuff visually; lm-sensors tells monitors the temps and voltages, also this is my main server and "tv"; I also have PIC chips feeding various information into the box from accross my Dallas 1-Wire bus; IR remote control of course -- so simple you could even "work" it.

2) Dual Zeon 550 - Quickly becoming an antique, it mostly sits around doing nothing powered off as all the proprietary hardware makes it a pain to use with Linux; as one might expect everything works flawlessly except the keyboard port

3) P4-2.6G-HT-800FSB - this boots XP pro and Linux and it really honks; I built this [mostly] for my wife at Christmas, but I must admit that game playing is a hoot sometimes; when running Linux it also acts as a remote Myth frontend; I can't get the CPU above 45C no matter how hard I try

4) EPIA C3-2-1000 - another Myth frontend for watching recordings over the lan, listening to music or whatever; also runs lm-sensors so I know how hot it is. IR controlled too

5) EPIA C3-800 - this is an unfinished work in progress. It will sit in the trunk of my car and provide multimedia, GPS mapping, real-time OBD-II information and whatever else I can dream up. RF remote controled. Right now the project is on hold till I can afford a decent, bright LCD that will mount in the car and meet the wifes requirements for aesthetics

6) PII-300 laptop - this machine; runs Win98 and Linux; when running windows I use WaterfallPRO to keep the CPU cool; it's amazing the difference it makes in temp and battery life

Not one of these machines is ever maxed out for any extended period. Of course I could be like you run SETI, but I'd rather get something back for all that heat and electricity.

Reply to
Anthony Fremont

Of course the internal temps probably went thru the roof, but hey no one expects you to understand heat flow.

Yeah, in your own little universe where Maxwell's laws don't apply and energy isn't conserved. Oh how I wish it would hurry up and run down.

HAND

Reply to
Anthony Fremont

And don't miss the sub-plot on bulb inrush current, and how Ohm's law doesn't apply. ;-)

Reply to
Anthony Fremont

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 13:18:00 GMT, "Anthony Fremont" Gave us:

Did you enter the one way world of linux, and get your brain stuck on one distro, or did you actually try to get it going?

Hell, DL and try a Knoppix disc. It is Linux from CD, and requires no HD writes, and it aut-senses everything.

If it successfully boot, and gives you kbd I/O, you can scan it to find out how it got loaded, then lather, rinse, and repeat with your brand of shampoo. :-]

Knoppix is a great linux diagnostic tool.

The shunt resistor is still the best way to do the job.

and my PC never sleeps, and never changes CPU temp while up.

Reply to
DarkMatter

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 13:18:00 GMT, "Anthony Fremont" Gave us:

DarkMatter

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 14:29:40 GMT, "Anthony Fremont" Gave us:

You are one retarded dumbfuck. It has two 5.25 inch 15 watt AC fans in it, and is a full rack mount unit. It has a heat sink at nearly the width of the rack chassis, and it weighs 6 pounds alone! The chassis sides are vented, and if anything, my shield improved the air flow across the sinks and the 26 some odd semis attached to it.

You are the clueless bastard in this thread, boy.

What? Could you be a little more obtuse, retard boy?

Oh how I wish I could feed a piece of fast moving lead to the head of some of you retarded twits.

Yet more retarded baby bullshit from the retard crew chief!

Grow the f*ck up, Chuck... You make me want to upchuck!

Reply to
DarkMatter

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 15:00:46 GMT, "daestrom" Gave us:

Again, retard boy. As I stated more than twice already... I DID admit to the mistake, the VERY FIRST time you brought it up. Yes, DIPSHIT! In that very first reply to you, so f*ck you.

You are too goddamned retarded to stick to the subject, so you have to jump on the tard bandwagon with the other tards?

Why am I not surprised?

Reply to
DarkMatter

Thanks! I know, sorta, what protein folding is, but didn't know there was a distributed project. Sounds interesting. I likely won't run it either, though I could use some more heat this winter. ;-) ...hasn't been above freezing for nearly a month (and a couple of nights at -20F). :-(

Reply to
Keith R. Williams

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 12:20:22 -0500, Keith R. Williams Gave us:

Define for us all, oh great twitted one, how exactly is that remark a threat?

You guys are sinking to new lows in your retard kingdom.

Reply to
DarkMatter

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 12:26:17 -0500, Keith "Tard Boy" Williams Gave us:

It's a damned shame that your furnace doesn't fail and put your bloodline to sleep for good! Then, you donated PCs might actually get some real work done!

Reply to
DarkMatter

As if you'd know what "real work" is. You've consistently shown that you haven't a clue about basic physics, and technician level electronics. You do real well with the four-letter words though.

What a maroon.

Reply to
Keith R. Williams

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 13:37:55 -0500, Keith R. Williams Gave us:

You mean the basic electronics like where YOU said that a shunt reading is less accurate than an ammeter? Right. You're right up there with the top engineers in the country... sure. NOT!

Reply to
DarkMatter

flawlessly

Hardly, I started with slackware in 95. Done a bunch of Redhat installs and even a Linux From Scratch. Try LFS once, you'll realize what a pain things used to be.

I'm a Gentoo only kinda guy now. Knoppix is cool for a simple way to get Linux running.

It's an ACPI problem. The real problem is that if I disable ACPI I only get one CPU, but the keyboard works fine then. :(((((

I didn't participate in that discussion.

Lies on the temperature thing.

Reply to
Anthony Fremont

SETI is a waste of time, everyone already knows that aliens exist. Cancer still needs to be cured, run folding@home if you must keep your processors maxed out.