Amperage pull of a computer?

More threats?

Who the hell is Chuck?

Reply to
Anthony Fremont

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 20:45:40 GMT, "Anthony Fremont" Gave us:

I have an Alpha SBC. I know what the word hardware pain means.

On any OS.

Reply to
DarkMatter

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 20:45:40 GMT, "Anthony Fremont" Gave us:

The point was that it if boots on that machine, and you have keyboard function, you can look at it to see what i/o implementation it used, and match it on the linux install you refer to that does not have the keyboard function. Jeez.

Reply to
DarkMatter

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 20:45:40 GMT, "Anthony Fremont" Gave us:

That's a simple fix. Keep the CPUS, and change the bed they are lying in.

Reply to
DarkMatter

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 20:48:39 GMT, "Anthony Fremont" Gave us:

I was already aware of other distributed computer projects, including the folding project. No primer needed, thanks.

Reply to
DarkMatter

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 20:51:21 GMT, "Anthony Fremont" Gave us:

Do learn to distinguish, dipshit. The law does, and what your wussy boy ass perceives as a threat would not hold up in *any* court.

Trust me, I KNOW that I have never threatened anyone in my life, much less in Usenet.

Y'all do make me laugh *real hard* though. :]

Reply to
DarkMatter

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 20:51:21 GMT, "Anthony Fremont" Gave us:

I didn't think you would get it.

"Duh..., George... Duh... What's wrong with da mouse in my pocket? He won't play with me anymore, George.... He used to play... George?" -Of Mice and Men

Reply to
DarkMatter

Not worth it. Xeons use some funky edge connector. They look like slot-1 CPUs, but have three (instead of two) rows of contact pads. Finding a board like that now would probably be too expensive especially for duals. Aside from the keyboard problem everything works perfectly (except no AGPGART support) so it would make a decent server for a medium sized office. It's got two 9.1 10,000 RPM SCSI drives in it and an LVDS controller that's worth keeping, but the rest of the contents are pretty much useless.

It's a high end (a few years ago) Compaq "workstation", so it came with some huge super-proprietary accelerated graphics card (for CAD work), that also has zilch for Linux support. I haven't tried XP on it yet, but that would probably get everything working since it's a Compaq. I'm thinking of turning it into another backend for my MythTV stuff, but it puts out heat like a furnace. I used it to crunch SETI units for a little while several years back when I was racing against a friend of mine. It would do two units in the time a P3 700 could do one, that big Xeon cache really helps. He's still doing it and has more than 10K units done, I only did 500 and quit since the heat output was about to run me out of the house.

You really should listen to Keith and I about the heat thing. CPUs really do vary wildly on their current consumption while in operation. That's why their are giant electrolytics right next to the socket and why there are literally hundreds of Vcc and Vss pins on the CPU. Heat output is directly related to how hard you work the proc and what kinds of instructions you execute. AMD actually put stipulations in the datasheet about instruction sequences. The implication being that running long strings of certain instruction could result in problems/damage to the CPU by causing it to exceed its max ratings. Seems sensible to me given the physical size of some electrical "conduits" within the processor, and the need to balance durability with scale. Real world software wouldn't violate the specs, so it's a decent calculated risk.

You can't judge your temps by looking in the BIOS. The BIOS will heat the CPU right up, since it's not using any halts, only looping waiting for you to press a key. You have to monitor while the OS is running, then it's a piece of cake to see it change. These EPIA boards can change temps real fast, only needing a few seconds to move 20C either way.

Reply to
Anthony Fremont

So now that you have admitted to being wrong....are you done now...I doubt it....More moronic verbal blather!

Reply to
Ross Mac

It says the guage on the package of spare leads I keep...All one had to do is be able to read...something YOU have not quite mastered!

Reply to
Ross Mac

If that's the case that leaves you somewhere between pond scum and an ameoba with an unmeasurable IQ !

Reply to
Ross Mac

Since you now admit your screw up, how would you now answer the OP ???

Reply to
Ross Mac

message

evaluate....

Woops...I should talk huh.....

Reply to
Ross Mac

Bud Dickman says " I did proves that you can't defend" Now who's the tard here???? Fire up the dope BongMatter !!

Reply to
Ross Mac

I would say daestrom reads just fine. A good start for you would be Electronics 101 where most of the above issues should have been learned early on. Ohms law would be a good start for you RoachMatter. Your cockroach existence has been stomped into the corner once again!

Reply to
Ross Mac

Uhhhh....you mean the word Retarded ??? I wonder if we could launch a Java "retard" counter on SybilMatter and check it from time to time. I would bet he has hit 6 figures by now! The originality just spews from the lowly beast... I picture him in some slimy, dirty little backroom in a junky old flat-top with 2 or 3 brightly colored bongs next to a pile of dope and a fifteen word list penciled on the grubby little wall in front of him. He posts away with his prevarications and 15 word vocabulary on his crappy little 486' with Winblows 95 loaded up! Puff, puff goes the bong and his crap is starting to become real as he punches away on that grimy old keyboard with the missing keys. The memory blurs along with the vision. Suddenly he passes out for a couple hours only to awaken cranky, foul, mean and lookin' for a good flame......Now he is in a drug induced Bud Dickman state ! To be a "fly on the wall" to witness his nitely session would be fodder for a MasterCard "pricless" joke!

Reply to
Ross Mac

Just because we don't run spin loops that generate heat, we're "funny?"

Reply to
Charles Perrin

And don't forget, .12 ohm test leads in a Fluke 8062A add 47% error!

Reply to
Ross Mac

I've noticed that too. The popups, spyware and some of the well known "music sharing" software just pin the usage meter. I probably would never bother to look, but when the keyboard interupts starting hitting a couple of seconds, it's time to sort it all out.... take care, Ross

Reply to
Ross Mac

I'd venture to guess that our *single* ButtPirateMatter would be an expert in such matters....

Reply to
Ross Mac