connecting batteries in parallel or series, myth and theory

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

We appear to be in agreement, only not so.
All things that convert AC into DC are defined as rectifiers.
All electronic devices with two electrodes are defined as diodes.
Some diodes convert AC into DC and are thus rectifiers.
Some diodes (eg DIACs) do not convert AC into DC and are thus not rectifiers.
Some rectifiers have more than two terminals (eg A three phase mercury arc rectifier) and are thus not diodes.
As I wrote, "in general rectifiers are diodes". That quite clearly does not claim that all rectifiers are diodes. They aren't.
Nor are all diodes rectifiers.
I really don't see the problem. You first count the electrodes - if there aren't two, it cannot be a diode. If there are two, it can be a rectifier (diode). But it may not be.
-- Sue

A DIAC, despite the name, is not a "diode", it is a five-layer device that acts like a diode.
Triode tubes also can be made to act like a diode, but that doesn't make them diodes.
The number of leads is not indicative. Note that a common SPST switch has two leads, and nobody calls that a diode, even then it can act as one.
--
Floyd L. Davidson <http://www.apaflo.com/floyd_davidson
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska) snipped-for-privacy@apaflo.com
Floyd L. Davidson wrote:

It has two electrodes - it is a diode.

It has three electrodes - it is not a diode.

It has no electrodes - it is not a diode.
-- Sue
@privacy.net says...

So does Floyd's switch but it is not a diode. A (semiconductor) diode is a PN device. A DIAC is not a PN device.

True (and stated), however it *can* be a rectifier, which was the point.

Ok, would you prefer a neon bulb as an example?
--
Keith

It has 5.

Same as above?

You are counting leads as electrodes with the DIAC.
--
Floyd L. Davidson <http://www.apaflo.com/floyd_davidson
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska) snipped-for-privacy@apaflo.com
Floyd L. Davidson wrote:

DIAC = DiIode for Alternating Current
The manufacturer calls it a diode:
http://www.st.com/stonline/products/literature/ds/7488/db3.pdf

Nah, I am counting connection points to the device. They may, or may not have leads at the connection point - many rectifiers (and many other diodes :) ) do not.
-- Sue
@privacy.net says...

So, a resistor is a diode? A capicator?
--
Keith

krw wrote:

Rather like ears, what is between the two of them is rather important too. :)
-- Sue
@privacy.net says...

Ok, I gotta ask... What is *your* definition of "electrode"?
--
Keith

krw wrote:

Let's see if we can agree on something. How about, "A diode is not a rectifier, by definition"? and "All diodes are not rectifiers"? Which was the whole point of this little diversion.
-- Sue
@privacy.net says...

Give examples of diodes that are not rectifiers.
--
Keith

So counting connections isn't a way to define a diode.
And a 5-layer device with two leads isn't a diode, even if it acts like one in some ways and even if they name it with a phrase that includes the word diode.
Yer lerning.
--
Floyd L. Davidson <http://www.apaflo.com/floyd_davidson
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska) snipped-for-privacy@apaflo.com
Floyd L. Davidson wrote:

I certainly am. A DIAC isn't a diode. Fine. Enjoy :).. backs away slowly, smiling reassuringly.
-- Sue

Hmmm... reminds me of a story I heard about 40 years ago on a troposcatter site here in Alaska. Seems this new stupidvisor (a former "technician") picks up a box of rivets that are silvery colored, with a round head that had no slot and of course no threads but otherwise looked pretty much like a #12 round head scew about 1/4 inch long.
This Stupidvisor asks a mechanic "What are these?"
The mechanic says, "Bi-Directional Diodes!"
The Stupidvisor says, "Oh. Okay." and walks off...
--
Floyd L. Davidson <http://www.apaflo.com/floyd_davidson
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska) snipped-for-privacy@apaflo.com
"Floyd L. Davidson" wrote:

That's what a lot of people do when the get a stupid answer like that from a moron.
--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

It still is NOT a diode in the sense that you are defining a diode.

You aren't making sense.
--
Floyd L. Davidson <http://www.apaflo.com/floyd_davidson
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska) snipped-for-privacy@apaflo.com
Floyd L. Davidson wrote:

Your lack of understanding is your problem, not mine.
-- Sue

You still are not making sense, and that isn't *my* problem.
--
In alt.engineering.electrical snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote: | On Aug 15, 1:21 pm, snipped-for-privacy@apaflo.com (Floyd L. Davidson) wrote:
| | Gee Floyd, looks like you have been taking lessons from Tweedledum. I | never said; | |> >> They can do things like ensuring that one bank does not cross change another. |> >> They can allow separate chargers for each bank.
How _not_ saying those 2 things somehow making your other statement more correct?
Have you even considered how to wire rectifiers in series with each battery string to ensure the current only flows in one direction with respect to where that rectifier is connected? Wired one way, the rectifier allows the string to discharge into a load at the other end of the connection (but it cannot be charged from that point). Wired the other way, the rectifier allows the string to be charged from a source at the other end of the connection (but it cannot discharge into a load at that point).
But your posts do seem to indicate you are limited to only doing things you have seen done before.
On Aug 16, 1:44 am, snipped-for-privacy@ipal.net wrote:

The very first battery bank I ever set up was a parallel string affair and I did just that. Total waste of time.