Multi-conductor control cable: PVC vs.

I need to replace a cable (16-conductor, 28-ish awg, stranded, shielded) on an industrial machine. It?s used to connet a hand controller (small box
with rotary encoder and pushbuttons) to the main control panel.
The original is a coiled (a la telephone handset) but the replacement doesn?t need to be. During use the cable will be splashed with lubricating oil (think dino motor oil) so in the short-term (5 years) it needs to be resistant to this.
I found this:
http://www.mogamicable.com/category/bulk/multi_core/28awg/
which is cable for the music-concert industry (audio mixers and such).
I can?t find any rubber-insulated cables (a la SJ or SO cables). How resistant will PVC-jacket be to oil?
Thanks.
On 10/11/2015 19:25, DaveC wrote:

Find some silicone rubber sleeving of the right sort of internal diameter. With a goodly amount of talcum powder , it should be possible to cover some standard cable, using a "peristaltic" or snake-motion sort of action, pushing and pulling, to feed it over the core cabling.

Are you saying that the PVC won?t hold up to dino oils?
On 11/10/2015 2:44 PM, DaveC wrote:

I don't know what "dino" oils are, but PVC seems to be resistant to many things.
http://www.plasticsintl.com/plastics_chemical_resistence_chart.html
Looks like there is more than one type of PVC. Why this particular cable company? I wouldn't think the music industry has much in common with machine tools. Why not use a cable from one of the cable companies where they specify it for industrial use around oils?
http://www.igus.com/wpck/15050/overview_motorcables?C=US&L=en
http://www.lappusa.com/10150description.htm
If this cable will be continually bent and moved, don't you need a special type of cable for that? I would contact one of the cable manufacturers and find out what they recommend.
--

Rick

from crude oil source, as opposed to synthetics

The cable is available by-the-foot (I need 12 ft total). The local distributor emailed the Japanese manufacturer who confirmed that they tested this PVC cable with gasoline which flushed out the particular plasticizers and hardened the remaining PVC. So no-go.

Specs look good, but minimum order is roll of 100 ft. I might be able to sell remainder on e-Flea but then again, maybe not. Might get mfgr. to sample. We?ll see?
igus.com have a really nice parameter search page:
http://www.igus.com/wpck/7101/CF_Productfinder_US
This one looks good:
http://www.igus.com/iPro/iPro_01_0013_0008_USen.htm?ArtNr 10.01.18&c=US&l=en

It will be used occasionally--it?s a convenience (occasional-use) hand control box.
Have requested samples from those that look good.
Thanks.

PVC jacketed cables are oil resistant.

http://www.mogamicable.com/category/bulk/multi_core/28awg/
On Tue, 10 Nov 2015 14:14:18 -0800, DaveC wrote:

No useful info on oil resistance there.
The oil resistance of PVC is widely variable, depending on the plasticisers used and possibly other factors, but is generally quite poor. I have never seen any cable rated as oil resistant with a PVC jacket. I have seen PVC swell, lose strength and disintegrate from exposure to oil. A search on the term 'oil resistant cable' should turn up something more likely to hold up well under oil exposure, at a higher cost.
snipped-for-privacy@null.void says...

silicone
Jamie

Suppliers of such cables?
On 11/15/2015 2:47 PM, DaveC wrote:

I'm not trying to give you a hard time, but this is a question that a simple google search should give good results for. Have you tried googling for silicone and the other parameters you require?
--

Rick

16-conductor stranded, 24 awg or smaller, color-coded or numbered, single shield (foil or braid), oil-resistant jacket. Please try yourself. I?ve had no luck. I?m not saying one doesn?t exit, but it?s not easy to find.
OK, people?ready, set, GO!
Thanks.

And cut to order (no 100 ft rolls, please?I need only 12 feet).
Thanks.
On 11/17/2015 11:33 PM, DaveC wrote:

Your best and cheapest solution may be to use a VTN-200 heat shrink to cover your standard PVC sheathed multicore. VTN-200 shrink is chemical and oil resistant and easily available. eg. Ebay # 251726064642 Might be an idea NOT to shrink it as it is more flexible unshrunk.

That?s a great idea. I?ll check it out.
Thanks.
On 11/17/2015 11:33 PM, DaveC wrote:

I can get you everything but the 12 foot section, and from multiple sources. There are lots of cables that fit your requirements. It will be hard to find such a short length of a specialized cable. You should look for a local supplier. I used to work in a shop where they sold all manner of wires and tubing in short lengths... but then again that place went out of business a long time ago.
--

Rick

In article < snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-

Really?
http://www.awcwire.com/productspec.aspx?id -silicone-insulated-hook- up-wire
So some leg work..
If you want a large quanity I can hook you up but be prepaired to pay the piper.
jamie
In article < snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-

Oh that's right, you did say cable
http://www.awcwire.com/productspec.aspx?id=ul-4535-silicone-cable
jamie

Try Alpha Wire 'Xtra-Guard' 'High-Flex'. They will pre-cut. UL AWM Styles 2587, 2661, 20234. All oil-resistant PVC.
RL
I have forty years experience in designing and building machine tool, robotic and automations systems. Whenever I require a cable that might be exposed to oil or coolant contamination, or will encounter high rates of flexing I only specify Olflex. It's more expensive than most, but a lot less expensive than failure and replacement.