OverHead Service Drop Help

Could anyone help with a Service Entrance and Service Drop cable type and size, Please?

For a 3000sq ft house, with a 225A load center what size and type of cable is suitable for Service Entrance and Service Drop. Considering OverHead.

Reply to
Kissi Asiedu

I am unaware of any service that is rated at 225 amps. Where I live it, Arizona, services go 100,150, 200, then lastly 400 amps. Just picking out a panel from the store is a poor practice. Some load centers are not service rated there for can not be used for service equipment.

Have you called your serving utility for their specs and requirements?

With out specific load information for the home it would be impractical to guide you.

Reply to
SQLit

| Could anyone help with a Service Entrance and Service Drop cable type and | size, Please? | | For a 3000sq ft house, with a 225A load center what size and type of cable | is suitable for Service Entrance and Service Drop. Considering OverHead.

The National Electrical Code specifies the portion of this going from the power company handoff (generally the load terminals of the meter). The power company does their own thing with their own code (NESC) up to that point.

Your electrical contractor should be following code and know what to do. They should have the training to make the right analysis and the code book at hand to consult to be sure things are correct.

If you are doing your own electrical work, you should, at a minimum, have some sort of reference like the NEC handy. If the NEC is to hard to read, some home wiring books _may_ go deep enough to handle a service entrance.

You probably can use 4/0 (211 kcmil) copper or 300 kcmil aluminum. But, depending on various factors your situation may have, you might have to go a step larger. There are several types of cable that may be used depending on how you are feeding it in.

Reply to
phil-news-nospam