2002 Ford Ranger Door Lock

Greetings, Truck broken into ... destroyed lock (key won't work in it) but it still locks the car. But am not looking forward to spending the rest of my life getting in the passenger door and unlocking the driver's side from inside ... esp in rain storms.

Dealer says the lock part costs $65 or so ... rekeyed to same as ignition.

No junkyards sell the lock & key.

Dealer AND Body Shop say that the teensy dimple (maybe a 10-20 degree twist) in the sheetmetal changes alignment of the lock parts AND the mechanism in the door so that it won't work til the $500 repair is done.

Body shop wants $500 to repair the teensy dimple in the door sheet metal and replace the lock.

How accurate it this? How much is salesmanship by the body shop (and scamming of insurance)?

What are the odds that I could just replace the lock w/ a similar part # from the parts dept ... and maybe give the sheet metal a bash w/ a rubber mallet?

How much of a hassle is it for the lock to be rekeyed by one of you guys before I install it?

Is there another better solution? Such as putting in an electric lock for that door?

Thanks guys, MJ

Reply to
Mongo_Johnson

but they may sell the lock without a key.

agree...

nah...

depending on the work they have to do to give you a professional job. sounds reasonable/normal.

if you don't really care how its going to look ? would say the odds are pretty good.

around $25 worth... if you take it to a local shop.

you replacing the lock would be the best/economical solution. looks like you really don't care about how its going to look.

g/day

Reply to
Key

dealer is right.. thats about what they get at the Ford I work at..

odd.. but, they would NOT usually have the key. they SHOULD have a lock.. and the lock is same for BOTH sides, the tail piece is different..

you DO ahve the tail piece for it, YES?

2 questions? insurance covering this? get ANOTHER estimate-IF you got some 'funky color' this MIGHT BE right. some of the Ford paints give one new meaning to the word PUCKER. how bad is the door skin TORN?

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

First thing you should do is to drive up to your local lock shop and have them give your truck an eyeball.

We often had these jobs where a little tap here and there would restore the sheet metal enough for function and often we could rig a larger gasket to cover the scar. It all depends on the degree of damage.

The lock shop might also have a better price on the lock than the dealer.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Rogers right. Take it to your local locksmith..... I do average 2 cars a day... mostly screwdriver jobs and I made a tool out of a large bolt and various sized washers which is inserted into the cylinder hole and tightened up, that usually straightens out the cylinder hole, then you can move the bolt around to get any warp out... then if theres any scratching we sell cylinder surrounds w/ ford, mazda etc on them, and most of the time we stock aftermarket cylinders that are cheaper rekeyed to your key than originals.... and by the way, I don't charge for the repair as it makes the job easier for me...

just a thought

Reply to
steve

Thanks for all the good advice guys.

To answer some questions ... just a small dimple ... no obvious sheet metal or paint damage. I can maybe fantasize an RCH's width of stress tear maybe 1/8" long at the top of the cylinder ... but nothing that can't be covered up by a washer or lock surround that was mentioned.

I drive my vehicles til they die ... so appearance ain't nearly as important to me ... and IMHO, the ugliest truck in the lot won't get robbed or stolen nearly as fast as the new F150, etc. So pristine beauty is not a major factor.

Oh yea ... matching paint shouldn't be a big deal ... it's snow white.

IMHO, the estimates are waaay out the window. The guys were planning on TIG welding, heating the metal to shrink it, then having to primer and double coat paint the area ... and keeping the truck for 3 days. I could have insurance do it ... but it ain't worth losing my truck for 3 days just to get a functioning lock in the door.

I appreciate the suggestion to take it to a local lock smith ... and the idea of a couple of big washers on a bolt to flatten out the metal is great.

Unfortunately, I work in a rough area of town and breakins are common. So the odds are not exceedingly low that I'll get hit again ... so maybe when they do some REAL damage, I can let the insurance cover it.

BTW: In case you guys haven't heard of it ... I've got a Ravelco protecting the truck from being driven away ... see

... it obviously doesn't make any alarm noises when I'm being broken into ... but it definitely prevents the truck from being stolen. Due to shortsighted marketing, they are virtually unknown in the US but are very big in Mexico where it's the only anti theft device that rates an insurance reduction.

MJ

Reply to
Mongo_Johnson