Best keys

I need to cut some keys for a new best system and realized I didn't have the code cards necessary. So I got the HPC cards CX10 and CX11 and wouldn't you know they need a different cutter as well. Now I find the cards only show 6 depths and my key lists use depths up to 9 ? Can anyone tell me what i'm missing here. Obviously I haven't had to do much with Best in the past.

Reply to
khdutch

There are several different pinning systems used with Best cylinders. If you want to depths up to 9, you're talking about an A2 system. I don't remember offhand which card/cutter the HPC machine uses for those, but it shouldn't be hard to find out now that you know what you're looking for.

Reply to
Joe Kesselman
90MC wheel. And yes, the A2 system is the 9 cut sys. Also, if your using a 1200, then you will also need to get the 7 pin adapter for the clamp. Otherwise the most you can do is 6 chambers.

Jack

Reply to
Jack

Not really true. You can use the 6 pin card, all you have to do is hand file the 7th cut, or spot the 6th cut, set the needle at cut 5, slide the blank until the spot uou made at cut 6 lines up under the cutter, then dial the spacing to cut 6 and you will be lined up at cut 7.

I know it is a PITA, but if you only have a few of these to cut a year it might save you from buying the attachment.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

That is a good idea Roger... However, if you are going to be cutting several hundred keys only once a year I think that following the procedure you described would be tedious...

I prefer to use a Blue Punch to originate Best keys for A2 systems, the speed of using the punch just can't be beat compared to all of the knob turning one would have to do while using a 1200...

Also with a punch there is much less likelihood of having burrs on the key from the cutting process, thus removing the step of passing each key under the deburring wheel...

Just some thoughts... :)

Evan, ~~ formerly a maintenance man, now a college student... (Who is tired from finishing mid-term exams this week)

Reply to
Evan

Tedious? I would agree with that.

Of course this is one of the drawbacks of the 1200.

If I were going to cut hundreds of any kind of keys I would not bother with a blue punch. I have a Code Pro, and with that I can cut all the keys perfectly and have no cranks to turn, no cards to buy.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf