can a locksmith copy my key without seeing it?

I've just lost the key to one of my outer doors - the only copy. It's a mortise type, not a Yale, and it's *very* simple: just two prongs, of equal length, and of 'maximum' length (ie: as long as the blank itself) and as far apart as possible (ie: right at either end of the blank). The lock, therefore, is *probably* a two-lever job.

So, if I gave a key-cutter a tracing of the keyhole, and the thickness of the door, could s/he cut a key without seeing the original?

Thanks in advance

Sue

Reply to
vivienhughes2000

no.. take the lock off the door and bring it with you to your local lockshop.

Reply to
Key

The thing is, I can't do that: since it's a mortise lock sunk into the edge of the door, I'd have to open the door to get to the screws and take the lock out. And I can't open the door because I've lost the key...

Reply to
vivienhughes2000

you said "lost the key to one of my outer doors" you didn't say it was locked. if you cant open it from the inside or by any other means ? call your local locksmith to come out.

Reply to
Key

From what I can tell, this question is a loaded one. You seem to know too much about locks to ask such a question. I would advise you to simply call your local locksmith and POOF, problem solved.

Reply to
Jack

See recent discussion of just this problem. If you have access to both sides of the door, it can often be removed without unlocking it; you can then proceed to dismount the lock.

Otherwise -- pay for a service call.

Reply to
Joe Kesselman