Rekeying Bauer "L" handle locks

Ok, I am stumped. I have some Bauer L handle locks (basically some of the L-204 series used on stepvans etc.) that I need to rekey. Bauer did not intend them to be rekeyed, apparently, but as we all know, there are sometimes "ways." Factory was no help. Went to my guru at Fairway, and he was stumped as well (even after picking it open and looking for internal plug releases himself - his eyes and experience far eclipse mine).

I have pulled off the ?escutcheon? ?mounting plate/bearing? by drifting the pin out, but nothing inside appeared promising. The lock works by extending a locking lug at 90 degrees from the axis of rotation into the escutcheon to lock, and withdrawing it to rotate, if you are unfamiliar with this locking system,

Yes, I know replacements, are cheap at under $10, but I hate to toss good hardware just to get the keying I need.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Wreno

Reply to
Wreno

Ok here is how you do it. drill a small hole to hit the spring retainer. it is usually located one space beyond the last tumbler. Sometimes they are at 90 degrees to the tumblers other times they are the same.

If you are real lucky the hole will be covered by the rose otherwise you need to fill the hole.

I would replace them myself.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Roger,

Thanks for the advice. Ok, so it will take a bit of "creative destruction". I will look a little closer at the locks tomorrow and see if it will be behind the rose or not. I had planned on sacrrificing one to the dremel in the worst case just to see what can or cannot be done.

It will also be interesting to see how I am getting the plug back in with the top pins and springs in place if a shim won't fit.....

Wreno

Reply to
Wreno

Further advice:

If you find any top pins in that lock you will find that it will work much smoother if you leave them on the bench.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Roger,

?????? Looks to be a regular old pin lock plug, not a wafer type. I am having a hard time imagining it working very well without the top (follower) pins. Am I missing something in how these work?

Wreno

Reply to
Wreno

This is an open forum so I can't say too much, probably said too much already, but you should see once you get it open. If you have to resort to the Dremel just be real careful.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf