Should I Hire a Locksmith?

And you don't see a problem with the local Home Depot sellling literally thousands of locksets all with the same small group of key codes on them ??? Gee, I hope your neighbor didn't buy his locks there too... Imagine the possibilities there...

Reply to
Evan

ok, so you buy them and pay HD or lowes to key them, then 2 months later you pay to have them keyed again. Why not buy them, give the contractor access to one door (keeping the keys) and pay only one time to have them keyed when the project is finished.

BTW, personally I agree, I wouldn't put Kwikset on my house, I have Schlage.

Reply to
Jack

I guess I'm used to dealing with larger homes. I rekey homes (when I actually do residential which is very rare) in my area that have had 25-30 locks on them. Sure, take my advise as stated earlier if you can buy them all keyed alike, and then have them rekeyed at the end.

Like I said, I don't do residential very often. I stick with the 20-50 story office buildings. I'm a commercial locksmith, not a residential locksmith. But in the past, when I or my family/friends have been in this position, this is what I've recommended and its worked rather well.

BTW, just one more suggestion. When you have your house rekeyed for the final time, on your front door, have the locksmith master key the knob (NOT THE DEAD BOLT). This will allow you to issue a special key to a house keeper, contractor, friend, etc., that will allow them to get into the house as long as you have left the deadbolt unlocked. In otherwords, if you want that special person to get in, then they can, if you don't then they won't. It also allows that if you've given that special key out and its gotten lost, then you only have one lock to key rather than the entire house. And no, HD or lowes won't be able to do this, only a locksmith can do this.

It's certain circumstances as the one mentioned above that sets Locksmiths apart from retail establishments and other low paid people. You get what you pay for. If you ask for the cheapest locksmith, then you will get just that. Otherwise, if you hire a professional, then you will get just that. BTW, there are other tricks to keying residential that are extremely beneficial to the end client in the long run. Knowledge is power, and power is money. Therefore education and experience is key to success.

Just my 2 cents worth. Take it for what its worth.

Jack Wynn Allied Lock & Security, Inc. Atlanta, GA

Reply to
Jack

Speaking as a locksmith as well, ignoring the deadbolts for this discussion, discussing knobs only, given my druthers, between the Schlage and a KW TITAN, I will recomend the Titan on a house. Between a Schlage knob and the regular KW knob, its a toss up which can be gotten into faster if push really comes to shove. --Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

BTW, I AM referring to the grade 3 ONLY, both KW and Schlage. A grade 2 Schlage is entirely a different matter, and would be my first choice. --Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

Among other things, I do risk analysis for a living. Follow the process- I pull 3 matching packs out of the pile at random, and pay cash. Short of somebody having a list of what was on the shelf, and either recognizing me or following me home, how are they gonna have clue one as to what knobs to buy to get matching keys, or what house they go to? While not expensive, the cost is also not trivial. Somebody that does breakins for a living is just going to go around back and jimmy the slider, or put a boot to the side garage door so he can get inside and open the kitchen door at leisure. Residential locksets protect against idiot kids, and crimes of opportunity, not professional thieves. I've been robbed before- it is just stuff. Take common-sense precautions, but don't lose sleep over it. If you need fancy alarm systems and medeco locks, that is mother nature's way of saying Move Someplace Else.

aem sends...

Reply to
ameijers

"ameijers" snipped-for-privacy@worldnet.att.net> wrote

I have lived in my house for 20 years now and I think I have locked my house

3 times.

I don't even know if I have a key(s) to the doors or not.....

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

I want to...errr...mail you something...yeah, that's it. I need to mail you something and I don't have your address.

Also I remember you saying you were going on vacation. That's great! Where are you going again....and when?

;)

RicodJour

They used to advertise Sweat Equity when I first moved to Phoenix, 34 years ago. Now days the contracts are iron clad titanium to the gc or builder. No changes unless they are on the list and absolutely no changes once the dry wall is up. I have a friend that just built a new house. It was only 3 months late and a punch list of 16 pages. But it was ok to move in. The high ceiling are wavy. The high wall are not plumb, checked with my 4 foot level. I am sure glad I did not pay $200k for this property. Hey it is ok cause it is now worth $230k. But you can not sell it for one year from move in. Prevents people from buying and reselling.

He paid $600 for the builder to install "surround sound wiring" through out the home. The wires are to small in gauge, and not enough of them if you want to run a sub woofer or anything above 5. Should have checked the contract.

Reply to
SQLit

where exactly is this house

Reply to
Levon

I figured someone would ask that!

;-]

No really: I have a retired couple on either side of me and they are NOSEY! Even if I have a friend come by (when I'm not there) they will give them the third degree....

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

Hire a locksmith?

HELL NO!!!!!!!!!!!

Locksmiths as a group are morons!!!!!!!

The typical locksmith could fsck up a wet dream.

I wouldn't hire a locksmith to empty my trash cans.

Reply to
cyanoacrylate c5h5nO2

I have a hunch they can spell 'f*ck' better than you though.

Reply to
Damian

As I have read through the replys it seems no one has answered your question. To me you were asking if a reasonably competent homeowner can install knobsets in pre-drilled doors.

The answer is probably so.

Some pre-drilled doors are just drilled and you need to do a little chisel work to mortise in the latches and strike plates, others are prepped for the latches and strike plates and those are a breeze to install.

You can always try it by yourself on an obscure door and if all goes well, then keep going, but if you have problems than you can always call in the back-up.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

As a locksmith, I reccomend to my customers that I make a separate key that works only the knob locks and the insides of any double deadbolts. So they can give said key to contractors, or leave it in the inner cylinder of the deadbolt.

Amazing, if you just call a competent locksmith so many things in your life will be easier.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

tomas you can do it yourself. But take some advice here buy schlage or yale locks and not the lowline ones for best security and less maintance! Best Regards Anthony

................................................................ Posted via TITANnews - Uncensored Newsgroups Access >>>> at

<<<<

g.a.miller

there are 2 'Yale locks' now.. my local hardware store sells one.. Yale brand, Kwikset key, made in China.. $12 and IMO, junk.

or GENUINE YALE.. $ ?? sit down and we will discuss it.. I replaced a panic bar made by Yale-admitted it WAS a fire rated bar, and I just installed it-they bought it.. With the outer lock and inner bar, the bill was $1,800 for the 2 pieces. IF you DO buy Schlage, GET GRADE 2.. they should run about $100 a knob..give or take, depending on finish --Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

I had an employeer several years ago who painted his new house (and sanded window seals perhaps) to save money on a Sweat Equity deal.

Reply to
coorslte

My in-laws who live in a small farming community rarely lock their house and frequently leave car keys in the ignition.

Reply to
coorslte