Which deadbolt/ lock type to buy?

Locksmiths (the ones I know) make a little retail markup on selling locks. If you go to the Big Box store and buy your own deadbolt, they won't be as happy about installing it.
I've got some Cetron video tapes that I got a couple years ago, and recorded over many times. How about I bring them in to you and you can record some of your studio masters onto them for me? I can save a couple bucks on blank tapes, and then complain when the quality comes out crappy. (That's the kind of feeling locksmiths get when you ask them to install this lock you bought.)
Reply to
Stormin Mormon
"videoken" wrote in message:
In the event a locksmith installs a lock you provide, he or she will make a notation on your work order/receipt and will generally not be held liable if the lock fails due to some manufacturing defect (as it was provided by you)... Kind of like an auto mechanic who installs parts on your car that you provide...
Don't be cheap on this... Those few more dollars you spend on hardware purchased from a locksmith go into quality assurance... Locksmiths stand behind the products they obtain through their distributors... But the locks you find at the chain hardware stores and the super mega home stores are often lesser quality than someone would want on their door... Especially a door that will be used many times a day...
Just something to think about...
Evan the Maintenance Man
Reply to
Evan
I've got some Cetron video tapes that I got a couple years
From your analogy, I am not sure you understand what I mean. My landlord offered to have his contractor install the lock in the door. (They are currently building out the entire floor.) Therefore, I am buying a lock to have installed.
See? Once again, I don't see the correlation.
videoken
Reply to
videoken
Metropolitan hardware is not a Home Depot type of place. It is a local hardware chain (Big but not big.) That has a locksmith on the premises. They supply tons of contractors in the area.
Thanks for the advice though!
videoken
Reply to
videoken
"videoken" wrote in message:
Ok... Buyer beware...
Just to point out that many very good contractors (with good reputations) often make very basic mistakes when it comes to installing locks...
Evan the Maintenance Man
Reply to
Evan
Most contractors prefer to provide the parts they install. By going to the store and buying your own lock, you are setting up a bad situation.
Reply to
Stormin Mormon
You've had two people (myself, a locksmith with 18 years in the trade, and Evan, who is a good man) give you advice.
We even gave you the advice for free on a public forum. If you're still determined to do it your way, then stop asking our advice. Go do your own lock, and eat your own consequences.
Reply to
Stormin Mormon
Don't really know anyone in that area who I would reccomend. As a gauge of price we get $100 for the mul-t-lock d/b. good luck
Reply to
Mzone719
The only potential problem I see is that the locksmith might be unwilling to guarantee labor on installation of a product he didn't provide. You would still have the seller/manufacturer warante on the lock either way.
Reply to
Putyourspamhere
You really need to lighten up. Just because he asks for input doesn't mean he is going follow all suggestions to the letter.
Reply to
Putyourspamhere
"videoken" wrote in message: ..
I am just going to ask you this one final question...
Are you sure that this person at Metropolitan hardware is a locksmith ??? Two things you can check for are: ALOA membership, and a locksmith's license(NYC regulates this profession)...
There are people in Home Depot that can re-key your locks for you, but they are not usually called locksmiths, usually just plain old associate like anyone else working there... Just be absolutely sure that this person you are giving the title to deserves such an honor... I do a lot of work with locks in my job but my ttitle is Maintenance Man and not locksmith...
I will point out that it is not your door, and whatever solution you choose must also be agreeable to the property owner and or his representative... It is your choice to make, but as others have pointed out why seek out advice and then not use it ???
I will thank you for starting a USEFUL thread here in this group, as the trolls have infested the place lately with infighting and bickering and EVIL crossposts...
Evan the Maintenance Man
Reply to
Evan
It is a local
on the premises.
a locksmith ???
locksmith's
for you, but they
associate like
this person you
lot of work with
locksmith...
Louisiana also regulates this profession. Home Depot can no longer re-key your locks for you. least they have stopped in my town.
Reply to
Key
"Key'" wrote in message:
It is something that is decided by the store manager...
I know that it is done in the Home Depot near my home, as the associate who does it was one of my high school teachers some years ago...
Perhaps in your area where the profession is regulated and policed it is something that would be difficult for Home Depot to regularly do, as people change jobs in and out of there frequently, and a licensed locksmith probably wouldn't need to keep such a job to live off of...
Evan the Maintenance Man
Reply to
Evan
the associate who
ago...
policed it is
regularly do, as people
locksmith
of...
no, its not decided by the store manager. its something in this states NEW locksmith law. (kinda screwed up if ya ask me) anyone rekeying residential or commercial locks (unless new construction) has to have a type "I" locksmith license.
Reply to
Key
The store manager can decide whether to hire a licensed locksmith on the payroll to comply with the law. The law that has been implemented in some states clearly states that to do rekeying you must have a locksmiths license.
Reply to
Putyourspamhere
Whether it's screwed up depends on the goal. Does the law provide for testing of competency and criminal background check and licensing for a nominal fee or does it just charge a high fee for a license to generate revenue? Either way it benefits you if you're still active in the trade so don't fret to much over it.
Reply to
Putyourspamhere
as
and
licensed
new
provide for testing
for a nominal fee or
revenue? Either way it
fret to much over it.
I am aware of the long term benefits and agree that it a good thing over all. I say its "kinda screwed up" because some parts of it is..
name says a lot. (Burglar Alarm/Locksmith/CCTV/Access Control - Licensing Law) it easy to tell this was drafted by the Burglar Alarm association. I just don't agree with some things I have been told by our state fire marshal. like; a book keeper has to hold a valid locksmith license. (because they are in management and have access to sensitive information) anyone having 5% interest in the locksmith company also has to hold a valid license. (so much for silent partners)
Reply to
Key
Ah Ok I got you. It sounds like locksmiths were added on to an alarm tech licensing law. I can see where they were going with the partner and bookkeeper aspects though, although it might have been better to simply hold the licensed owner responsible for safekeeping of all the business info with regard to customer keying combos etc.
Reply to
Putyourspamhere

Site Timeline