Re: custom gear for timing belt: how to design?

In article <ff68d80.0306231535.2c7875c1

Have you considered using timing belts with teeth on both sides? If I'm picturing things right, some of your idlers become drivers.
Dodge calls them Dual Dyna-Sync, but there are plenty of other mfrs. Here's an example of one in urethane:
http://www.brecoflex.com/timing_belts.html
Ned Simmons
Browning, er make that Emerson Power Transmission makes what is known as a "double gear belt" with the same teeth on the inside as the outside which would allow you to drive it using a conventional toothed sprocket. They come in XL (1/5" or .200" pitch-1/4", 5/16" and 3/8" widths), L (3/8" or .375 pitch-1/2", 3/4" and 1" widths) and H (1/2" or .500 pitch-3/4", 1", 1 1/2", 2" and 2 1/2 widths) cross sections. In the catalog I have (DC98 Condensed) there is a nice section about application and power transmission fundamentals with drive tables (center distances). You might want to start there. If power transmission really is NOT the problem, then you might want to look in the catalog of SDP (Standard Drive Products www.sdp-si.com/ ) which has a number of nice, off the shelf drives that most likely will do what you want. If you still need help, send me an email with more specifics and I might be able to help you size or fashion a drive. R. Wink
On 23 Jun 2003 16:35:58 -0700, gradient snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Grad_x) wrote:

I'll second browsing through the SDP site and using their components - I've used their gears, pulleys, belts, etc. in numerous prototypes over the years and their quality is first rate. Their hardcopy catalogues also include fantastic reference sections. V8Z
(Grad_x) wrote:

Joe,
Stock Drive Products gives away some very cool design manuals for free. https://www.sdp-si.com/Catalogs.htm
Have you tried them yet?
-Mike

I've
years
consider using "ball chain"-- round plastic or steel balls linked with cable. Berg, among others, sells it