Re: custom gear for timing belt: how to design?

I'm using a timing belt for an unusual application: I'm driving it

> inside out, with the teeth on the outside. The belt still rides on > normal idler rollers, but I have several belts side by side, which > need to be in sync.

Have you considered using timing belts with teeth on both sides? If I'm picturing things right, some of your idlers become drivers.

Dodge calls them Dual Dyna-Sync, but there are plenty of other mfrs. Here's an example of one in urethane:

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

Browning, er make that Emerson Power Transmission makes what is known as a "double gear belt" with the same teeth on the inside as the outside which would allow you to drive it using a conventional toothed sprocket. They come in XL (1/5" or .200" pitch-1/4", 5/16" and 3/8" widths), L (3/8" or .375 pitch-1/2", 3/4" and 1" widths) and H (1/2" or .500 pitch-3/4", 1", 1 1/2",

2" and 2 1/2 widths) cross sections. In the catalog I have (DC98 Condensed) there is a nice section about application and power transmission fundamentals with drive tables (center distances). You might want to start there. If power transmission really is NOT the problem, then you might want to look in the catalog of SDP (Standard Drive Products
) which has a number of nice, off the shelf drives that most likely will do what you want. If you still need help, send me an email with more specifics and I might be able to help you size or fashion a drive. R. Wink

Reply to
R. Wink

consider using "ball chain"-- round plastic or steel balls linked with cable. Berg, among others, sells it

Reply to
Michael

I'll second browsing through the SDP site and using their components - I've used their gears, pulleys, belts, etc. in numerous prototypes over the years and their quality is first rate. Their hardcopy catalogues also include fantastic reference sections. V8Z

"double gear belt" with

it using a conventional

3/8" widths), L (3/8" or
1/2", 2" and 2 1/2

application and power

want to start there.

look in the catalog of SDP

the shelf drives that

be able to help you size or

Reply to
v8z

Joe,

Stock Drive Products gives away some very cool design manuals for free.

Have you tried them yet?

-Mike

Reply to
Michael Munroe