Latest threads in Metallurgy discussionsshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

highest-k tubing that won't corrode in Lithium Chloride?
Corrosion resistance will also depend on whether there is oxygen (early and middle transition metals vanish), carbon monoxide (middle and late transition metals vanish), or hydrogen (ferrous...
1
1

Some questions about Aluminum Alloys...
Hello. I'm attempting to write a story set in Eric Flint's 1632 universe ( In the story, my characters are students who are working on part of a rocketry project. As they design their new rocket, they...
3
3

Steel naming in different countries
Welcome! Got a following question: does anyone know the WWW site that lists the names of different kinds of steel in countries all over the world. As we know some type of steel is called different in...
2
2

wear testing
can anybody provide me guidance in wear testing for analysis of wear mechanisms in steel??? will Pin on disc method work for non mettalic interfaces? I want to work with steel and glass interface....
4
4

More Definitive Point of Onset of Plastic Deformation
Theoretical Problem: Many definitions to define the on-set of plastic deformation exist based on the offset yield (i.e 0.2 % , 0.02%, Johnson's Apparent limit etc.) strengthand all of these depend on...
12
12

Casting problem with 4 elements
I am desperate, and in need of professional help pls : I need to have made a casting, consisting of a homogenus mix of : 1) Cu 70,0 % --- Ni 10,0 % --- Mg 10,0 % --- Mn 10,0 % 2) Zn 40,0 % --- Cu 44,0...
7
7

Thin Al Alloy
I am desperately searching for some Al alloy sheet of thickness 0.2-0.5mm. I cannot find any suppliers that do them this thin. Potential alloys are 5182, 5005, 5754, 6111, 2024. any advice?
1
1

Metal Finishing Chemicals
I have small quanities of two metal finishing chemicals that I would like to surplus. Does anyone know of a good online chemical exchange that I might try? The Chemicals are: Diverscale 299 (100...

help me to correct the errors====THANKS
English is not my mother tongue. So writting arcticles in English is difficult for me. I hope some kind man help me to rctify my error in this YOU VERY MUCH The truck beam steel (BM510L) contains...

AMS6455
i posted this before, but for some reason, i never saw it on the group. looking for 1" by 100 ft of 0.014-0.016 with a Rc of 42 -47 . help! its an old standard and i can't find this stuff anywhere....
4
4

bending iron
So I know this is basic, but how would I go about building this : seems like the most difficult part would be bending the metal and appling the powder coat. keep in mind I'm just a guy with a garage...
4
4

stress relieved/ heat treatment
Hi all, I think someone here might be able to help me... It is recommended by a steel spring wire manufacturer that immediately after coiling, the springs should be stress relieved at about 400=B0C....
1
1

Metal & Steel Buildings
Metal & Steel Buildings at Closeout Prices from All Steel Corp. Questions or inquiries Need a quote? Call 1.888.359.0152

superplastic forming - sheet Al alloy
Any ideas on what temps and pressures I should use to do this ? approximately help is much apreciated! anjali
2
2

want to make Tungsten Copper cutting blade
All, What would be the best way to sharpen a piece of 90% Tungsten 10% Copper alloy into a point knife blade? Is there already some company that machines this alloy? I would want a 60 degree included...