16" gun

I'd bet a 16" will never be fired again in anger.

Reply to
Buerste

An old friend of mine, Rabih Alameddine, was one of the last to be on the receiving end of one. Well, his family's house was. The New Jersey hit his parents' house in Lebanon, while no one was home, apparently aiming for something else. It left a pile of sticks. d8-)

Rabih was very philosophical about it and doesn't harbor any ill-will.

(This is him, not the story about his house being shelled):

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Ill bet you are wrong.

They are far far too useful and effective.

Remember the A-10 Warthog was scheduled to be phased out?

Somethings are universal tools, too good to go to the scrap heap.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist..." Maj. Gen. John Sedgewick, killed by a sniper in 1864 at the battle of Spotsylvania

Reply to
Gunner Asch

I read that even with UAVs, spotting was too much of a problem to use them surgically in limited conflicts. They are more suited to cratering the surface of Iwo Jima or shredding "Das Reich". I don't have numbers, but dispersion of a single salvo seems to be considerable.

jw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Naw...you have to re-commission the whole battleship for that, not just the gun. A big, fat, floating bullseye. JR Dweller in the cellar

Gunner Asch wrote:

Reply to
JR North

The USS Cod is stationed here in Cleveland.

She's a GATO class WWII sub. I've been on board many times and still can't imagine serving on her for a whole afternoon yet alone months at a time...she's TINY inside! There's not even enough room to take a dump comfortably. Submariners had to be midgets!

She has a 5" deck gun with a stainless steel bore liner. The director of the Cod organization call me a few years ago and wanted me to build a proximity of a bore cleaning brush that they could do demonstrations with. As I was gathering the information, I asked if he had any 5" shells for the gun in case those pesky Canadians should attack. He said if he did he would turn the gun on City Hall. He then told me he had already calculated the bearing and elevation in case any shells became available with no questions asked.

Reply to
Buerste

I have two 16" guns that I guarantee will be fired with the intent of destroying the target.

In fact, I, or a cohort, has fired them at least twice each year for the last 10.

(guess)

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

pumkin chunkin'?

Pete

Reply to
Pete Keillor

Pete Keillor fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Nope. Keep guessin'

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Keep them clean and lubed for the riots that will follow the continuing job situation. Hopefully, they will be useful for riot control.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

"Michael A. Terrell" fired this volley in news:FaKdnXFVdZFIcc_UnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

I could clear half a city block of (formerly) living things with one shot.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

There are some shore batteries on the west coast.

Reply to
Buerste

They, the battleships, have been taken out of mothballs several times. Each time they were retrofitted with new Radar and arms. Cruse missiles are common as are unique then - but not now - the massive high rate guns used on planes, missiles and boats. Remember, they are not getting Gray Ghosts out of mothballs they are getting the most feared ship on the water. And they are not 50 or 60 years old. Re-built for Viet Nam and used since. I'm glad the New Jersey is in Pearl Harbor. - It is a most important ship to history.

Martin

Gunner Asch wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

THe quote was INCHES in diameter not length as was the last... Good one!

Then - Gunner wants the lathe that turned the barrels!

Mart> Pete Keillor fired this volley in

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Uh, she's in Camden, New Jersey, where she's been since 1999 as a floating museum.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Why not? Then he could make his own 16" guns. Talk about poking holes in metal with a round...

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

One of the info shows had a piece that included the lathe to turn prop shafts for aircraft carriers. The tool holder was the size of a car. It would take chips off the size of snow shovels.

Reply to
Buerste

I thought she was in Steven Seagal's back yard.

Reply to
Buerste

On Wed, 24 Dec 2008 22:25:56 -0600, the infamous "Martin H. Eastburn" scrawled the following:

Nah, he's already got two of those in his back yard. ;)

-- Women and cats will do as they please,

and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.

--Robert A. Heinlein

Reply to
Larry Jaques