Anyone care to own an AVO meter?

Ive stumbled across a English made VOM meter.. "Universal AVO meter."

Serial number indicates it was made in January of 1957

Its in actually quite nice shape, with no broken bits or serious scratches. The batteries are still in it, but they appear to be dead. Ive not pulled them to test them, but they show no signs of leakage either.

Anyone care to own it? Whatcha swap for it?

No one wants it..it goes on Ebay for collector interest.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

Wrong side of the pond for me, and I already have a pair of 'em! (and AVO valve (tube) tester and RF signal generator - OK, I'm a fool for crackle-finish vintage testgear!)

Anyone wanting a Proper Analogue Multimeter should jump on it, though, they're really good quality, accurate and bomb-proof (even fitted with resettable circuit breakers on the meter movement) - if you're shipping it be sure to put both rotary switches in the "off" positions (one to AC, the other to DC) though, as this damps the meter movement and saves any damage from shock and vibration.

The final AVO8 Mk7 sold new for around £600 - call it a thousand dollar multimeter... Current used price in the UK (assuming working but no calibration certificate) is £10 - £30 ($20 - 50), how the mighty have fallen!

Dave H. (the other one)

Reply to
news.virginmedia.com

This unit has no "off" on either switch.

And many thanks for the details!

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

No - you put one switch to AC, the other to DC and that damps the meter!

You're welcome!

Dave H. (the other one)

Reply to
news.virginmedia.com

I mentioned this on the antique radio and electronics repair newsgroups for you.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

AH!! Thanks!!

Gunner