Anyone up for making a B-17 restoration part?

Hey all:

Just got the orginal 74 year old prints' for a drum and cable device used on the B-17 bomber. The restoration guys want to see if anyone is interested in making this part... I thought I'd ask here 1st, instead of going to a big shop. I can upload the prints to the drop box if anyone is interested... No Money, but you get a piece of history on your calling card, plus I might throw in a few precision tools...

I dinna know the name of the pretty lady yet...

Best,

Fred V. Fowler III

Reply to
Phred

Post the drawings!

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

I might be interested. Bunch of guys I know, including a customer who is also a good friend, run the museum in Torrance. They have a restored B-17 there IIRC.

Reply to
John R. Carroll

On Sun, 29 Aug 2010 10:13:42 -0400, Phred scribed:

Reply to
Phred

On Sun, 29 Aug 2010 10:13:42 -0400, Phred scribed:

What is the Dropbox address for RCM... I will post prints today...

Reply to
Phred

Karl Townsend

Hey Fred,

Yeah, please do post it to the drop-box so we can all have a peek.

Without even a clue as to size and materials, it just might make a good "club project" for us. One of our MDMC members is active with the CAF at Willow Run, so I bet he's interested. (I always want to call it the Confederate Air Force, but I know that's not it!!)

Or send me a copy "direct" snipped-for-privacy@ciaccess.com

Brian Lawson, Bothwell, Ontario. Member Metro Detroit Metalworking Club.

ps....nice to "hear" from, you here once in a while. Been some time though.

Reply to
Brian Lawson

Before it became the "Commemorative Air Force" it was the Confederate Air Force. I remember one of Dad's fellow ag pilots keeping a B-25 in Angleton, Texas for a while (late '60's). As I recall, originally all members were colonels.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor

PC run amok.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Agreed.

Reply to
Pete Keillor

I want to say they moved the B-17 from the entrance of the old "Greater Southwest International Airport" - DFW took over in a political squabble. They (who?) moved it to the entrance of the Air Base in Ft. Worth.

Sadly, it was put there in flying order and then over the years got stripped of parts by persons unknown. They trucked it by semi. Several of them.

Mart> Phred wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Colonels are cool. We all know a one star has issues :-)

Mart> >

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

What liability issues are associated with us folk making parts for big things that fly?

Pete Stanaitis

--------------------

Reply to
spaco

[ ... ]

Note that this is the address for downloading from the dropbox. Submissions are via e-mail, and you should go in to the top-level site

and click on "using the dropbox" for instructions on how to submit, file name restrictions, and what kind of files are forbidden (e.g. ".DOC" files, because of macro virus problems).

Enjoy, DoN.

P.S. Fred -- not seen you post much recently. Do you still follow the newsgroup regularly?

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Actually, that was a B-29, parked on the South side of the South terminal wing in the late 1970s. I poked around it many times when I was working SCCA races at GSW. It's now at the entrance to Lockheed, in West ft worth, and the other side of the runway from Carswell JRB

There was also a B25 (B24?) on the North side of the North terminal wing of GSW. It was complete. i don't know where it ended up.

Reply to
RBnDFW

I have a strange request for anyone who frequents the Dallas airport. Some time around 1976 they had just added onto the airport and dug up an aquatic dinosaur and put it on display in one of the side corridors. I would greatly appreciate a picture of it. IIRC it is the size of a VW.

I use to have full access to the CAF in Harlingen, I see they moved it to Midland. Odessa/Midland that's in the middle of nowhere. Last time I was at the CAF was when a guy from Australia gave them a PBY and we pounded Fosters together. Lost a couple of acquaintances when they piled it up in the Laguna Madre. Also flew in their B-17, unforgettable ride. Was in the tail gunners position while doing touch and goes, stood between the pilots in flight and watched the green country side cruse underneath from the very front.

SW

Reply to
Sunworshipper

Surprised it's not online, but I sure could not find it. Next time I'm out there I'll try to figue out where it is and snap a pic or two.

Reply to
RBnDFW

That would be great, I remember it as very unique. I thought of mentioning that I tried years ago to find it online after I hit send. One would think it would be online, but then again it was found way before common PC's.

That was the trip that I ran into a friend in O'Hare.

SW

Reply to
Sunworshipper

This the one?

Reply to
J. Clarke

Must be, very good, how'd ya do that? I remember it as smaller, but that must be it cause it had four fins like that. Guess they got sick of moving it around, it was in the airport before. Thanks, At least now if I get back there I won't be wandering around bugging everyone who works there and drawing even more attention to myself.

It was long ago, but maybe they made a rendition of it cause I don't recall any rock left, just skeleton. Hmmm, this seems to be a print of a photo, maybe it is still at the airport.

Thanks

Reply to
Sunworshipper