Arrow Trucking Shuts Doors

That's kinda what I was referring to, Bill. The Legislature is so far left that the center looks like the right as it is now. The biggest problem, I think, is that the far left places such as San Fransicko and Los Angeles are more heavily represented than the rest of the state and, thus, carry more power. Something has GOT to change or this state is going to go further down the toilet than, frankly, it already is.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Chandler

If this was your truck, that would be the proper thing to do - the customer consignee really wants their merchandise to arrive, and if the truck is dropped at a dealer it will be greatly delayed if not "disappeared" by "falling off the loading dock" - BUT.

When the company went under their liability insurance probably did, too. If you don't park the truck as instructed and try going to the destination without insurance, and get in a wreck... It's your ass.

And as we all know, "No good deed goes unpunished."

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

If they owed you a lot of money, even just a couple of paychecks, that would be a good idea because you would still be "in possession" of the asset - BUT you better check with a lawyer first. They could easily claim you had stolen their truck and were stealing the cargo to ransom it off to the consignee and probably make it stick, those laws are arcane at best.

The cargo belongs to the shipper or the consignee, depending on the FOB location in the paperwork - if it's FOB Destination the shipper still owns the goods IIRC.

The freight company truck and trailer belong to the leasing company

- the freight company is only leasing (renting) them.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Let the Record show that "Michael A. Terrell" on or about Sat, 26 Dec 2009 02:29:22

-0500 did write/type or cause to appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

It could be worse. I could be fighting extradition from Koala Lumpur. That's Trial by Wombat, no less.

pyotr

pyotr filipivich

On Sat, 26 Dec 2009 17:57:43 -0800, the infamous pyotr filipivich scrawled the following:

I had a Combat Wombat chasing after my Corvair convertible down a dirt track once, but a friend was riding it.

Go Hodaka!

-- REMEMBER: The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up!

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Time to consider cross training ...

I recall reading of a guy who's college buddies thought him a real goof, never cutting classes to go surfing (this was California in the

60's). He graduated and became a teacher. So while they were working 50 weeks out of the year, he had his summers free to hit the beach and the waves. Cowabunga!

So who's the goof now?

pyotr filipivich

Keep it up and the pun police will be kicking down your door, to charge you with attempted punnery. :)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Whatever you do don't send any more of those "co... Insert Nixon's favorite insult here ...ckers" over here.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

=================== More info on the Arrow Trucking fiasco.

If business leaders don't want to be treated like kids and crooks, why do they keep acting like kids and crooks?

Is it time to create a new criminal charge "reckless management" as a parallel to "reckless driving." Just as you are not allowed to operate a motor vehicle in a careless or reckless manner on the public roads, should you be allowed to operate a business in a careless or reckless manner?

Poor decision-making At the center of the cyclone and, some say, one of the causes of Arrow's collapse, was Doug Pielsticker's inexperience, poor decision-making, casual work ethic and extravagant lifestyle.

Arrow employees who struggled with family expenses during the past few years were struck by the contrast of Pielsticker, 41, driving British Bentley and Italian Maserati cars to work.

Gift of a Ducati In April, about the same time the company began running up unpaid bills and drivers began noticing the company was not repairing equipment, Pielsticker received an Italian racing motorcycle as an anniversary present from his wife, according to his Facebook page.

===============

Very insightful comment about another trucking company on the edge:

No so-called less-than-truckload company -- one that hauls goods for more than one customer in the same trailer -- has survived bankruptcy in the last 30 years, according to the Teamsters, the union that says it represents about 30,000 YRC employees.

Unka George

(George McDuffee)

The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there. L. P. Hartley (1895-1972), British author. The Go-Between, Prologue (1953).

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

I shipped several items via Arrow. One was particularly surprising. I shipped a walk behind electric pallet lift (weight 350+ lbs) from IL to TX, with liftgate pickup, for just $250.

Here it is:

I was wondering how they were making money. Now I know.

Ignoramus7943

That was likely all margin to them - not having full loads and the lift under a pallet on the truck.

The charge is by square foot or weight.

I shipped two pallets that could not be bottom stack but tops ok - and they were several thousand pounds each. It was $550 as I recall. Another truck line bid 750-1000.

Mart> I shipped several items via Arrow. One was particularly surprising. I

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

================ I don't know if this is still the case, but in many past trucking company bankruptcies, attorneys for the creditors and/or court have been able to go back several years and collect additional freight charges from the shippers when the low rates were never officially registered/ published, under the doctrine of fraudulent conveyance.

Some higher volume shippers have had to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars in additional freight charges, the difference between what they paid and the "official"/registered/published rate.

Ed or John -- do you know if this is still the case?

Unka George

(George McDuffee)

The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there. L. P. Hartley (1895-1972), British author. The Go-Between, Prologue (1953).

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

There really isn't a time bar but 18 months is typically observed unless there is provable collusion. That is one of the difficulties in dealing with folks that are knwn in advance to be insolvent. You can end up on the line for the entire amount owed creditors or the tax authorities because of the Tort.

Reply to
John R. Carroll

Maybe I will get a $65,989,254.32 bill due to this...

Ignoramus7943

LOL

Be sure and post that if it happens. You'd have had to have been reselling Arrow's services to have any liability under the circumstances George inquired about.

Happy New Year Ig and hopefully 2010 will be the year America turns the page on what has been a sorry chapter in an otherwise decent book.

Reply to
John R. Carroll

Did they charge extra, since you shipped the boy, too?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon