Arrow Trucking Shuts Doors

Dec 2009 11:39:48 -0500 did write/type or cause to appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

    Assuming you owned your own truck. This reads like Arrow told their drivers (the ones driving company trucks) to park it, head home, don't call us, we'll call you. - pyotr filipivich We will drink no whiskey before its nine. It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
pyotr filipivich wrote:

I believe that pretty much all of the trucks Arrow was using were leased from the manufacturers and that's why the drivers were told to drop them off at the nearest Freightliner dealer.
That agrees with what I gathered from the article.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

I don't remember all the details on my shirttail cousins deal but the jist of it is the trucking company negotiates leasing terms with a truck manufacturer and the drivers are responsible for the lease.
In my cousins case, the truck is leased for 400,000 miles with a warranty that is in effect for the full term.
I *hope* this isn't a case where the drivers end up holding the bag.
Wes
Dec 2009 22:30:15 -0500 did write/type or cause to appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

    And sometimes the company hold the truck, and hires drivers. "It all depends" - on the bean counter, tax laws, phase of the moon, the secretary's shoe size...

    It will be, the question is, how big is that bag? I checked a forum I'm on. Some of the guys just laid off, were hired with in the last month. They are still waiting for first paychecks. - pyotr filipivich We will drink no whiskey before its nine. It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 21:00:16 -0800, "Roger Shoaf"

If this was your truck, that would be the proper thing to do - the customer consignee really wants their merchandise to arrive, and if the truck is dropped at a dealer it will be greatly delayed if not "disappeared" by "falling off the loading dock" - BUT.
When the company went under their liability insurance probably did, too. If you don't park the truck as instructed and try going to the destination without insurance, and get in a wreck... It's your ass.
And as we all know, "No good deed goes unpunished."
--<< Bruce >>--
On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 22:18:01 -0800, Gunner Asch

If they owed you a lot of money, even just a couple of paychecks, that would be a good idea because you would still be "in possession" of the asset - BUT you better check with a lawyer first. They could easily claim you had stolen their truck and were stealing the cargo to ransom it off to the consignee and probably make it stick, those laws are arcane at best.
The cargo belongs to the shipper or the consignee, depending on the FOB location in the paperwork - if it's FOB Destination the shipper still owns the goods IIRC.
The freight company truck and trailer belong to the leasing company - the freight company is only leasing (renting) them.
--<< Bruce >>--
Ouch! I sure don't call that economic recovery.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

==================More info on the Arrow Trucking fiasco.
If business leaders don't want to be treated like kids and crooks, why do they keep acting like kids and crooks?
Is it time to create a new criminal charge "reckless management" as a parallel to "reckless driving." Just as you are not allowed to operate a motor vehicle in a careless or reckless manner on the public roads, should you be allowed to operate a business in a careless or reckless manner?
http://www.tulsaworld.com/business/article.aspx?subjectidT&articleid 100103_54_A1_DougPi286078&rss_lnk <snip> Poor decision-making At the center of the cyclone and, some say, one of the causes of Arrow's collapse, was Doug Pielsticker's inexperience, poor decision-making, casual work ethic and extravagant lifestyle.
Arrow employees who struggled with family expenses during the past few years were struck by the contrast of Pielsticker, 41, driving British Bentley and Italian Maserati cars to work. <snip> Gift of a Ducati In April, about the same time the company began running up unpaid bills and drivers began noticing the company was not repairing equipment, Pielsticker received an Italian racing motorcycle as an anniversary present from his wife, according to his Facebook page. <snip> =============Very insightful comment about another trucking company on the edge: http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=newsarchive&sid=akW2fq12ZKOA <snip> No so-called less-than-truckload company -- one that hauls goods for more than one customer in the same trailer -- has survived bankruptcy in the last 30 years, according to the Teamsters, the union that says it represents about 30,000 YRC employees. <snip>
Unka George
(George McDuffee)
The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there. L. P. Hartley (1895-1972), British author. The Go-Between, Prologue (1953).
I shipped several items via Arrow. One was particularly surprising. I shipped a walk behind electric pallet lift (weight 350+ lbs) from IL to TX, with liftgate pickup, for just $250.
Here it is:
http://yabe.algebra.com/~ichudov/misc/ebay/Forklift /
I was wondering how they were making money. Now I know.
That was likely all margin to them - not having full loads and the lift under a pallet on the truck.
The charge is by square foot or weight.
I shipped two pallets that could not be bottom stack but tops ok - and they were several thousand pounds each. It was $550 as I recall. Another truck line bid 750-1000.
Martin
Ignoramus7943 wrote:

On Sun, 03 Jan 2010 20:42:39 -0600, Ignoramus7943

===============I don't know if this is still the case, but in many past trucking company bankruptcies, attorneys for the creditors and/or court have been able to go back several years and collect additional freight charges from the shippers when the low rates were never officially registered/ published, under the doctrine of fraudulent conveyance.
Some higher volume shippers have had to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars in additional freight charges, the difference between what they paid and the "official"/registered/published rate.
Ed or John -- do you know if this is still the case?
Unka George
(George McDuffee)
The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there. L. P. Hartley (1895-1972), British author. The Go-Between, Prologue (1953).
F. George McDuffee wrote:

There really isn't a time bar but 18 months is typically observed unless there is provable collusion. That is one of the difficulties in dealing with folks that are knwn in advance to be insolvent. You can end up on the line for the entire amount owed creditors or the tax authorities because of the Tort.
--
John R. Carroll

Maybe I will get a $65,989,254.32 bill due to this...
Ignoramus7943 wrote:

LOL
Be sure and post that if it happens. You'd have had to have been reselling Arrow's services to have any liability under the circumstances George inquired about.
Happy New Year Ig and hopefully 2010 will be the year America turns the page on what has been a sorry chapter in an otherwise decent book.
--
John R. Carroll

Did they charge extra, since you shipped the boy, too?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus