Be careful with shotguns

On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 15:37:54 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Leo Lichtman" quickly quoth:

That's an "ouch", eh?

Yes, he'll no doubt agree that A) accidents can happen. and B) complacency is a bitch.

Did you check with him to see if he'd pulled the rifle down to inspect it after he healed? I'll bet he handles that rifle more carefully from now on. The good news is that now he has a new scar to show his students how dumb it can be to become complacent about safety.

"I'm a safety instructor. Do as I say, not as I do." ?

-- Remember: Every silver lining has a cloud. ----

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Karl, The cruddy th>> "Don Bruder" wrote: (clip) If this was self-inflicted, I betcha he never

Reply to
Eric R Snow

It wasnt a Remington 700 was it? There is a rather disturbing history....

Gunner

The aim of untold millions is to be free to do exactly as they choose and for someone else to pay when things go wrong.

In the past few decades, a peculiar and distinctive psychology has emerged in England. Gone are the civility, sturdy independence, and admirable stoicism that carried the English through the war years . It has been replaced by a constant whine of excuses, complaints, and special pleading. The collapse of the British character has been as swift and complete as the collapse of British power.

Theodore Dalrymple,

Reply to
Gunner

Indeed.

Same with machine tools..on a more related subject..

Read the link before clicking if sensitive of stomach.... not all that bad a picture...similar to the foot. One would assume the victim will henceforward be called Lefty....

Particularly grim.... several examples of why I turned down a job repairing these machines....

Now here is a an interesting machine demo....

And for a high pucker factor....

Machine castrates worker By PHILIP CARDY A WORKMAN was castrated as he reached over a machine which had no guard on it.

Stacey Waring?s testicles were cut off and his penis was damaged when his tracksuit bottoms got caught in an engine?s rotating shaft, a court heard.

Mr Waring, 30, had to undergo plastic surgery and will need hormone treatment for the rest of his life.

Magistrates fined an asphalting firm £10,000 and ordered it to pay Mr Waring a maximum £5,000 compensation over the horror. Mr Waring, of Bolton, Lancs, was working for Noriphalt Ltd on a casual basis while on leave from the Army.

He was in a five-man team repairing a roof when the accident happened in

2001. He had to lean over the engine to reach a control lever on an asphalt tanker.

Prosecutor Ian Connor said Mr Waring was not given formal training and there was no supervision on site. The shaft guard had been missing for more than a week.

Wigan-based Noriphalt admitted two safety breaches. Blackpool magistrates also ordered the firm to pay £2,530 costs.

Mr Waring, who lives with his partner, is suing the firm. He said yesterday: ?This has had a traumatic effect on my life. I?ve been through agony.?

Im sure his partner is not amused either....

Gunner

The aim of untold millions is to be free to do exactly as they choose and for someone else to pay when things go wrong.

In the past few decades, a peculiar and distinctive psychology has emerged in England. Gone are the civility, sturdy independence, and admirable stoicism that carried the English through the war years . It has been replaced by a constant whine of excuses, complaints, and special pleading. The collapse of the British character has been as swift and complete as the collapse of British power.

Theodore Dalrymple,

Reply to
Gunner

You've cycled the action and no "tennis-shoe express" so now what?

Do yourself a favor, sign up for a good defensive shotgun course (not the kind where you sit in a classroom and hear a lecture but the kind where you go to clear a house and the instructor pulls your shotgun out of your hand and beats you with it) and see just how much trouble you can get in with one. If you think the sound of the action being cycled is a good deterrent then make a tape recording.

J. Clarke

Gunner, that head dropper was very good.

Ignoramus13955

One of my sister's ex-boyfriends jumped out of his 4x4 and the derringer = in his boot discharged when his foot hit the pavement. The bullet entered = his wrist and exited his shoulder. He said that while stitching him up, the surgeon was telling him how stupid he was, the entire time. I couldn't = stop laughing at him while he was telling me about it.

Elton

Reply to
Elton

Understanding your concern, I forgot to explain. One pump has a 12" barrel, the other is 8.75". The double I'm doing will be shorter yet. If you let someone get that close, they could take your pistol as well. They could try. Respectfully, Ron Moore

Reply to
Ron Moore

I saw one worse than that, and I have a lot more respect for rodeo bull riders now.

Fred

Reply to
ff

Guess this bunch must have had passes out of the coaches Drivers Ed film. They usually showed it in the underground locker room - cool and can wash down with a hose if needed. Shower room close for tender minds.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH & Endowment Member NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member

Gunner wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

And I bet the trigger assy was custom fitted for a light 2 oz trigger from a 20 oz. So often the trigger adjustments are done and are just there, but when in the field, something is colder or warmer - and something swells or shrinks. Trying to make a faster trigger can cause lots of trouble on a range or out on the range.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH & Endowment Member NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member

Leo Lichtman wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Okay, so I'm late and catching up, but Gunner wrote on Sat, 15 Jul 2006 10:49:15 GMT in rec.crafts.metalworking :

I understand. Experience gives you ... perspective. I recall being a kid of 12 or 13, and visiting cousins on the farm, when one of the dairy cows fell and injured itself. Hauled it to the vet, he said there wasn't a thing he could do for it, so it was slaughter time. I had no idea how much blood a cow held, or how red it was. Even with a "huge" blood gutter, there was still a large, bright red, pool. Blood does have a distinct odor. I copped to being a "kid", and went in the other room. It was my first exposure to massive quantities of blood, even if it wasn't human. (I'd already determined silly notions that because I was male made me 'special'. Not when Karen could move the feed sack off the truck, and I couldn't.) My Dad stayed with his cousins. "Macho"? Can't be seen as a 'wimp' city slicker? Or just that he'd probably been in this same room before, back before the War; and then went on to be in infantry combat, and then a preacher & chaplain, so he'd seen blood before? Yes, no, all of the above, size 8, 42. Life is like that.

Now my brother ... the sight of just a little bit of blood would make him woozy. I mean, itsy bitsy, "cutting up a chicken for frying" little red spot, would make him pale. But vomit was no problem. he did a 'co-op' with the school nurse, and she was the other way round. So they agreed, any student who came in bleeding was hers, and pukers were his, but if they were puking an bleeding, they were on their own. :-) Of course, that was years ago. He was the one who said "Duct tape, tequila and salt. If it can't be fixed with that, you're in trouble." He lead ... an interesting "youth".

tschus pyotr

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Good that you (Gunner) bring up the smells, smells of dead things are also quite unpleasant.

Ignoramus13955

True enough. Which is why I slam test every long arm I work on, repeatedly. Particularly those others have tinkered with. Its surprising how many will drop the striker.

Even if I am in a situation where a chambered round is indicated, on a bolt action I always lift the bolt some distance if carrying with a loaded round. I dont trust safeties on most long guns. With the exception of the Smellies in most cases.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

It must have come out of the holster and landed on the hammer, with the barrel pointing upwards, else it was a FMJ and it ricocheted'd off the pavement. More likely fell on the hammer. Weapons retention is muy importanto.

Gunner

The aim of untold millions is to be free to do exactly as they choose and for someone else to pay when things go wrong.

In the past few decades, a peculiar and distinctive psychology has emerged in England. Gone are the civility, sturdy independence, and admirable stoicism that carried the English through the war years . It has been replaced by a constant whine of excuses, complaints, and special pleading. The collapse of the British character has been as swift and complete as the collapse of British power.

Theodore Dalrymple,

Reply to
Gunner

When I was playing cops and robbers back in the 70s, I got a call to check up on an elderly female. She had not been seen for several weeks.

In august IRRC. I knocked on the door, several cats appeared at the windows..and I got a slight wiff of "that" smell..one that Id smelled many times, not long before in SEA. I called the dispatch for a coroner. When I knocked out a window pane to open the door.."that" smell was a palpable cloud coming out the doorway. Even the coroner turned a bit green as he went to get a mask (sorry..only have one) and dump some Vicks into it. We found the old lady in her bed, at least 2 weeks deceased in a closed house in August.

In a house filled with cats. What the cats hadnt dined on..the blanket of maggots was working on..like a shroud of animated off-white rice. No bloat..she had already burst. Poor old gal had died in her Grandma type flannal nightgown in her sleep. Head on pillow, maggots filling the eyesockets and mouth.. when she balloned up and burst, it had popped all her buttons on the nightgown. Clear field for the cats and maggots.

That picture almost got me. The salivation/gag reflex started. Shrug I remembered an old trick an old timer had told me..went into the kitchen, filled a cast iron fry pan with dry coffee and put it on the burner on high, so it burned and the house filled with the smoke. Which really helps to tone down "that" smell.

By this time, several other cops had shown up along with a local newspaper reporter, who were all standing around their cars in the street. The only evidence that they had been in the house was several puddles of vomit in the entryway to the bedroom and on the sidewalk. So I went back in and got the fixings for a sandwich out of the fridge, and walked out of the house munching on a sandwich. (got to admit it was pretty hard to swallow and not gag) and asked everyone if they wanted to see the body? They knew I was the first on the scene and had effected entry.

Flicking the top of my sandwich with a finger..saying "damned maggots" and taking another bite, set off another round of gagging and heaving.

Ive been told I have a rather twisted sense of humor...shrug.

I went home and took a good shower, had a nice stiff drink or 4, stuffed my uniform in the washer at least 4 times. Had to have it dry cleaned.

Took weeks and lots of polish to get rid of the smell from my leather gear. Stuff permeated the leather. Id get a wiff..and a mental picture of the old lady and others. Even today..when I smell "that" smell...it pops up memories best left buried .

Rest in peace, Mrs. Conn

Gunner

The aim of untold millions is to be free to do exactly as they choose and for someone else to pay when things go wrong.

In the past few decades, a peculiar and distinctive psychology has emerged in England. Gone are the civility, sturdy independence, and admirable stoicism that carried the English through the war years . It has been replaced by a constant whine of excuses, complaints, and special pleading. The collapse of the British character has been as swift and complete as the collapse of British power.

Theodore Dalrymple,

Reply to
Gunner

What I find particularly interesting is that they fined the company 10K to go to the Govt. and they had the company pay the poor guy that lost his nuts

5K. That would truly piss me off! :)

Glenn

Reply to
Glenn

I take it you've kept up with the news lately? Just check out *exactly* whether that cadaver bone came from...

Reply to
David R Brooks

I did a Marlin .30-30 for my cousin according to a method I saw in Gunsmith Kinks. I drilled a hole in the hammer below the sear notch, then epoxied in a dowel. Then just filed back the dowel until the sear engagement passed the slam test. I showed him as I did it, so he could adjust if needed. The advantage is that it's reversible, additional adjustment just increases engagement, and the original sear-hammer relationship and surfaces are unchanged.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor

Reply to