ATF Busts Ningi on UGA Campus

You Federal tax dolors at work, protecting against terrosism.. Gota-love-it..
http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/mld/ledgerenquirer/14333392.htm

Wonder what they wold have done to one of the Pirates ?
Arrr..

The pirate could have paid them off with a few pieces of eight, but only if his hook was registered with local authorities. Probably easier to catch - the pegleg slows him down.
Who knows about the parrot, however, as the parrot could be an illegal immigrant.

It's BATFE, not BATFE&Arrrr.
(Pirate socks - arrrrr-gyle.)
--
Mike KD7PVT
NAR #70953 - Sr/HPR Level-1 ~ BEMRC - NAR Section #627

If the pirate was carrying a fake gun, they'd have taken him out!
It sounds like LEUP inspections are going to be getting a bit tougher now :-)
Glen Overby

So what do you do with a ninja suit? Drink it? Smoke it? Shoot it? Blow it up? Talk about an agency out of control!
Fortunately they weren't playing "cowboys and indians", or the ATF would have had to burn down the whole campus.
W. E. Fred Wallace wrote:

This one has a photo:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12303788 /
What gets me even more is the quote "University Police Chief Jimmy Williamson said Ransom was released as soon as he was found to have violated no laws."
I'm sorry, but I missed the part where they're (be it ATF or the police) supposed to go after someone WITHOUT believing a law has been violated???
David Erbas-White

Didn't prevent him from being detained with a knee on his neck - that looks uncomfortable! And he was like that long enough for someone to find and ready a camera to take the picture.
He was stopped and roughed up on suspicion of doing something unusual, which apparently is a crime these days. I have zero problem with jumping both feet on people who actually do something wrong, but all the action taken to supposedly "prevent crime" makes me nervous.
Like the regulation that requires banks to make a report when someone moves more than a certain amount of cash - or darned near every provision of the humorously-named "Patriot Act"
I hope your are not one of the people who also say that the feds should have stopped the 9/11 hijackers cuz they were suspicious (but did not yet break any laws). That would be a case of having your cake and eating it, too.
If someone is lurking around looking suspicious, ANY AND ALL law enforcement officials should be doing something. The last time I saw someone with thier face covered in public, he popped open a cash register and broke for the door with a wad of money.
I was not there, I didn't even read the article. I am saying that the officials are trained to react to situations and this was one of them.
--
Tom Koszuta
Western New York Sailplane and Electric Flyers
Thomas Koszuta wrote:

Law enforcement officers are also trained to find out wtf is going on in the community around them. DECENT law enforcement officers would have asked their event coordinator about any other events happening on campus at the same time as their own shin dig.
Bob
Thomas Koszuta wrote:

BZZZZTTTT!!! Wrong answer!
They're fully within their rights to watch, follow, etc., someone looking "suspicious". But no way in hell do they have the right to do anything else until they've broken the law (or at the very least have 'reasonable grounds').
If dressing funny and acting goofy on a college campus was 'unusual' or 'suspicious', I don't know of a campus around that would have anyone left.
Haven't you heard all of those stories about how they've seen someone looking suspicious, and then the follow them, and at the POINT WHERE THEY COMMIT AN ILLEGAL ACT, they are arrested?
This is getting WAY beyond crazy (and I'm considered a very conservative Republican).
I agree, the 9/11 hijackers committed no crime, up to the point where they attacked the people on the plane. AND AT THAT POINT, passengers (and or airline personnel) should have had their own weapons available to fight back.
David Erbas-White

Incorrect - they had committed conspiracy to hijack an airliner and commit mass murder.
I wrote:

If the government had proof of the conspiracy, then yes, they could have done something. LACKING THAT, they did nothing up to the point where they pulled out and used (including threatened use) of their weapons.
David Erbas-White
On Fri, 14 Apr 2006 10:16:02 -0700, David Erbas-White wrote:

Exactly...up until they actually did the act...the only thing they could have been convicted of was a "thought crime". (Unless we consider that some of them may have been here on expired visas, etc.)
--

Greg Heilers

Conspiracy charges make me nervous. No one was harmed; and I'd wager 90% of the people who "conspire" to commit a crime never do.
Certainly in high school (several decades ago) a couple of friends and I talked about who we'd like to see dead. Were we going to do anything about it? Of course not. But today, we'd be in held without bail just like some local boys right now - none of whom actually posess weapons.

As Robert Heinlein (who I consider my spiritual father) once wrote, "An armed society is a polite society."
The details are hazy, but I recall an incident in Australia a few years ago where a looney wandered around a park for over an hour shooting people at random. There were over a dozen casualties; it took so long to stop him because the has to send for armed officers to deal with it.
My thought at the time was that in an armed society this would have been a third page story rather than a mass-murder catastrophy.
Are you a cop? You sure sound like one.. I hope he takes it to court, the bas%^rds over stepped the bounds of what is reasonable on a unarmed individual.
Thomas Koszuta wrote:

I belive the standard answer is that he could have been armed which makes it ok if 10 of them beat the crap out of a one unarmed person. After all they are protecting us. Now all we need is someone to protect us from them.
Phil
On Fri, 14 Apr 2006 16:50:05 -0400, "W. E. Fred Wallace"

Phil Stein wrote:

My wife and I discussed this incident. We were figuring that the cops blew it for not checking out what local events were going on, and the kids throwing the pirates vs. ninja event blew it for not taking outside events into consideration.
Bob