Be careful with shotguns

I have also fired a registered shorty 12 ga double, with a single birdshead grip. Aguila minishells were extremely pleasant in it, enough to make hand tossed trap a lot of fun with a 12 gage pistol. Toss the bird with one hand, shoot it with the other. Interestingly, there was still a fair bit of power for such a short barrel. Did not do quantitative testing though.

Full house high brass field loads are much less pleasant but had *plenty* of muzzle energy. The checkering on the grip felt akin to holding a roughcut file and having someone else try to knock it out of your hand with a hammer. I could only fire them in triplets before my palm required a break but not as punishing as I was lead to believe. Dove or light skeet loads were just the right combination of power and managable recoil.

StaticsJason

PS: Ron, have you considered permanently sleeving one of the double's barrels in a pistol (.45 LC) or small rifle caliber, making it into an aow instead (easier tax to stomach if it is for sale anyhow)?

Reply to
StaticsJason

Anything that will fit into the back of the pickup. I may be low on .243 ammo and some other stuff..but I should have enough to give you a taste of most everything in the battery. The M1A is out on loan. Shrug..he is running a combat course at ThunderRanch I think. But Ive got enough ammo for the Long Range Personell Interdiction Tools and the SKS's, Finns, etc etc etc. Least to give ya a sample. Ill see how much 375 Holland and Holland I have. Youll get a kick out of it.

Anything in particular you want to fireup? I can reload some stuff next weekend worst case. Ive got "enough" dies/bullets/primers/powder for everything I own.

Oh..Im nearly out of 38 Spec and .357 Mag, havent shot them much in the last few years..but can load em up if you want to plink. Or turn you loose at the bench and teach you to reload several flavors in the evening before we go out. If you are coming in Sat..we can putter around in the shop/Stuff piles, stage what you are going to take..Sunday go out and make noise, then load you up in the evening.

Folks used to love it when the local yokels would come out to the range with their 7mm maggies and make bets they could outshoot me, after they saw the old 03 I always had on the bench, with a box of cast bullets. Star Gauge barrel..Timiney trigger, Lyman Palma peep, would shoot inside an inch at 200 if I held my mouth right and there was no mirage. Had the worst butchered stock I could find at a gun show, glass bedded, and torqued with an inch-ounce wrench. (Ill show it to you)

Id ponder a minute..then take out small bore targets and put em out at

100 yrds. 10 targets per page. One shot per target. Closest to x-ring average would win. These guys were the sort that would sight in their deer rifles on a 5 gallon bucket at 100 yrds and call it good. I bought a lot of reloading supplies in those years, till the word got around.

I always considered the old girl to be the same sort of thing as a bent pool cue in the hands of a hustler.

Gunner

The aim of untold millions is to be free to do exactly as they choose and for someone else to pay when things go wrong.

In the past few decades, a peculiar and distinctive psychology has emerged in England. Gone are the civility, sturdy independence, and admirable stoicism that carried the English through the war years . It has been replaced by a constant whine of excuses, complaints, and special pleading. The collapse of the British character has been as swift and complete as the collapse of British power.

Theodore Dalrymple,

Reply to
Gunner

First, sleeving a barrel would not change the status. An AOW is a shotgun (any configuration) with a barrel of less than 18" that has NEVER had a shoulder stock, even if removed when new. If sleeved in both barrels, it would become a short barreled rifle, still $200. Besides, it would take all the fun out of the "Desperado" movie gun. I was planning on some of the LEO ammo but I'll check the Aguilla ammo for less pain. The double's a 20ga so not quite so bad. Of course, a double 45-70 might be fun. Respectfully, Ron Moore

Reply to
Ron Moore

On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 01:31:37 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Gunner quickly quoth:

Excellent! Should I bring liniment and pillows?

I don't think I have the collar bone for a 4 bore. Plinkin' with a variety of your arsenal will be a blast, so bring what you think will be fun. Just be sure to bring some low-recoil stuff, too, eh?

Sounds good. I hope to be there by mid-morning Saturday. I usually get up about 4am and hit the road immediately. Figure 9 or 10, maybe earlier if the freeway if flowing at 80+. I-5 down there usually does a good 75. I love it. There are too many 55mph sections up here for my tastes. I'd roll at 150mph all day long if they'd let me (and if I had a vehicle designed for it.) If it didn't cost several gold bags worth, I'd go fly one of those Migs or an F-15 or F-18. Speed is a blast.

Sounds like a great sleeper. Some of your mods sound vaguely familiar to me, too.

My buddy and I used to take out the Os in the COORS cans with our 22s (unscoped ancient beasties) at 50 or 75 yards. Grandpa passed his old Winchester Model 04 A down to me through Dad. That was back before I needed bifocals or daytime glasses. I've never shot with a scope before. (Where's the sport?) No, I take that back, my buddy had a little Marlin 10-22 with a 3x scope on it once. I've just never shot a real rifle other than the 30-06 an asshole friend of my dad's showed me how to fire back when I was 9. He told me to hold it out about an inch from my shoulder. If I'd been able to use both arms when they helped me up off the ground, I'd have stuck that rifle right up the jerk's ass. I told Dad what the guy had said and he nearly decked him for it. 20 years later, my chiro asked me if I'd ever broken my collar bone because the right one didn't fit properly. All I could think of was that jerk who hurt me. I'm just glad I'm left handed.

So, you made 'em pay for all of your reloading goods each week, eh?

========================================================== Save the |||

Endangered SKEETS! ||| Web Application Programming ==========================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Nah..Ive extra shooting coats.

No problem.

Your left handed???? Hummmm do you shoot right or left handed?

If you are left handed..its gonna preclude some of the Stuff with custom stocks..but we will find ya some stuff to shoot

Till they wised up and the word got around. I was the club rangemaster.

Gunner

"If I'm going to reach out to the the Democrats then I need a third hand.There's no way I'm letting go of my wallet or my gun while they're around."

"Democrat. In the dictionary it's right after demobilize and right before demode` (out of fashion).

-Buddy Jordan 2001

Reply to
Gunner

On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 05:41:07 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Gunner quickly quoth:

In 111F weather?

Right. I'm pretty much ambidextrous.

Not a problam.

========================================================== I drank WHAT? +

--Socrates + Web Application Programming

Reply to
Larry Jaques

One of the joys of living in the desert....

Ok..cool.

"If I'm going to reach out to the the Democrats then I need a third hand.There's no way I'm letting go of my wallet or my gun while they're around."

"Democrat. In the dictionary it's right after demobilize and right before demode` (out of fashion).

-Buddy Jordan 2001

Reply to
Gunner

Okay, so I'm late and catching up, but Gunner wrote on Mon, 17 Jul 2006 20:21:16 GMT in rec.crafts.metalworking :

Sneaky. I like it.

Will have to remember that, if something like that ever comes my way ( Thompson, a target, and someone with a $100.)

pyotr

Reply to
pyotr filipivich