Best Rated threads in ⏣ General Metalworkingshow all threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Best carbide lapping method?
I have been grinding and lapping carbide tools by hand for over 30 years. I have gotten pretty good at it. But with the relatively newer micrograin carbides it is possible to buy carbide inserts for...
14
14

Portable non-electric Steam Cleaner
How can I build a steam cleaner to carry with me in my truck (big semi tractor trailer)? I would like to use it to clean oil, dirt and grime before working on the truck.
11
11

"IIRC"?
What does "IIRC" stand for? I have seen term used on "Basic Machinist Tool Lists". Thanks, Tom Zumann
5
5

Google plus metalworking community
For those that have a Google plus login, I've created a 'metalworking community' that hopefully will become a more on-topic version of this newsgroup. (I guess time will tell if Google's automatic...
16
16

Fastener Control
"Steve B" fired this volley in news:kanndm$fhn$1 Steve, what you use to physically store them is less important than how much it costs to sort them out. Give a high school kid out of work a tapped...
7
7

Interesting article on bringing manufacturing back to America
" Thomas Mayor, a senior adviser with Booz & Company who specializes in manufacturing strategy, says that in industry after industry, he is seeing the same kind of reassessment GE has made. When asked...

Improvised milling machine
Back working on my bat house mold. Envision a large rectangular sink made of 5/16 thick cast aluminum... I'm 'milling' a shallow slot in the middle with out a milling machine. A router with a carbide...
36
36

Mike Henry - Neise Easy-Angle tool
Mike, I saw an earlier post saying you have the original pin chart for the Neise Easy-Angle tool. I would like a copy if still available. Thanks. Gary Repesh
1
1

Pete C / Don N - Paper
I think it was one of you two who told me about using a sheet of paper for a non-slip interface between flat metal objects bolted together. I've gotten a lot of use out of that for a variety of things...
2
2

Aluminum rod in nylon bushing produce much heat?
's my two-stroke 21.2 CC grass trimmer. I'm replacing the outer shaft and the inner driveshaft, with a straight aluminum tube and a 1/4 inch diameter aluminum rod for the driveshaft. The rod will be...
20
20

Harbor freight powder gun
Is it my imagination or is this a POS ? Just used it for the first time and when is the powder going to be attracted to my aluminum part? Using steel wire to hang -- thought I may try copper -- but...
20
20

steel shim used as a thrust washer?
Greetings all: I have my Triumph gearbox apart for a refresh and while going thru the vari= ous tolerance checks,one of the thrust washers is too thin by 0.015 inch. = This part retains the 1st gear...
10
10

12" Craftsman chainsaw parts?
Remembers, Sears produces nothing - they buy, and have their name and color scheme put on it instead of the OEM. Find one of the Cross Lists, 315 probably represents Poulan but I'm looking for...
8
8

Nuts!
Our metalworking group was given a couple of bench grinders. Both run, but are missing the nuts and flanges needed to install wheels. If you have one of these el-cheapo's in you shop, please get some...
12
12

Cutting corrugated sheets
"Steve B" fired this volley in news:jq2pnu$i56$ Although the Galvalume guys will tell you that using anything but a shear voids the warantee, almost all the professional pole barn constructors in this...
18
18

Paralleling phase converters?
I have read here that some folks use more than one phase converter in their shops and just turn on more converters as the load increases. Are these rotary converters connected in parallel? If so, is...
16
16

Hypereutictic aluminum alloy expansion coefficient
I've always been told that one of the cool things about hypereutectic aluminum alloy is that its thermal expansion coefficient is significantly lower than plain ol' aluminum, which makes it a handy...
6
6

Manual for Hitachi K-100 vfd
I bought this VFD off Ebay and thought I could find a manual on line. No such luck. It is slightly different from the L100 so would like to find a manual. It works, but not exactly how I think it...
2
2

Thread cutting question
I have done a fair amount of wood turning but have only a little experience with metal lathe work. One aspect of cutting threads leaves me a bit puzzled. Small lathes like the ShopFox or MicroLux...
19
19

router/plasma table z axis and gear ratio's
enough of photography my table is a 4*8 table, I am looking for a better design gantry mount for the z-axis, when I get ready to do full sheets, I will have to have the torch start past the slats (off...
2
2