Can anyone recommend a $300-$350 pressure washer?

That will last more than one season? Lots of cheap ones out there, but the common thread seems to be that they only last one season.

I salvaged one at the recycling center about 4 years ago. Fixed the engine and got several good hours of use out of it then the pump started spewing oil/water emulsion. Took the pump apart thinking a seal kit would fix it, found pistons badly corroded and the swashplate badly galled and worn.

I'm thinking that running the new one on softened water might be a good idea, along with pulling the pump open, blowing out the water and squirting in some LP2 at the end of summer.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Northern Tool has a wide selection of decent units. None will last very long if you don't take care of it though. Use a downstream chemical injector, not upstream. Set the pressure a bit lower than the max for the unit. Pump the pump protector stuff through the pump when storing for the winter. Always use stabilizer in the gas. Make sure you have a filter screen on the inlet, and maintain inlet pressure so you don't cavitate the pump.

I got my NT pressure washer free from someone who didn't use stabilizer in the gas. It took me less than an hour to remove, ultrasonic clean the carb, blow dry and reinstall, after which the unit worked fine and has for several years now.

Reply to
Pete C.

I bought a used honda pressure washer, it already lasted me several seasons. I use one infrequently, but every year.

Ignoramus20691

Well....my Devilbiss 2.5 gph 1500 psi Tecumseh vertical 3.8 hp POS 20 year old washer is still going like new. Change the pump oil after every use, engine oil once a year. Iv'e washed a 50' driveway at least 50 times, plus other stuff. Went through the carb last year. Most of the bitching about early failures is lack of maintenance. JR Dweller in the cellar

Jim Stewart wrote:

Reply to
JR North

You can buy just the pump for Northern Tool or a million other places; if you can find the pressure you want and match it to the horsepower you have available:

David Courtney

I picked up a Karcher 3,000psi model with Honda GC-190 engine on it and it seems to be working well for the past several years.

I just now checked for starting. I pulled 6 times and it started, after sitting a full year.

Costco no longer carries it, though. I think it was $399.

-- The art of life lies in a constant readjustment to our surroundings. -- Okakura Kakuzo

Reply to
Larry Jaques

have you considered buying a replacement pump only? your price point will cover a pump, and you use your old motor

Reply to
Bill Noble

I'm seriously considering buying a Cat pump. They have a real crankshaft and ceramic pistons. Looks like they would last a lot longer than the cheap Comet pump the machine came with. About $220 on ebay and it looks like it is a straightforward job.

Bill Noble wrote:

Reply to
Jim Stewart

I got this at Costco last year for CAD $289 on unadvertised special. A steal, IMHO.

Apparently a lot of them die because people let water freeze in them, so "one season".

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Great deal. They told me I got the last of 'em as they were being phased out.

Hey, who has the best deal on extensions? I need to PW my house.

-- Life is full of little surprises. --Pandora

Reply to
Larry Jaques

There is a special antifreeze /lubricant for pressure washers that will eliminate both corrosion and freeze-up damage.

Reply to
clare

One of the pump manuals recommended running 6 oz of RV antifreeze through the pump.

Reply to
Jim Stewart