Donating to NYC

So, you don't keep any food at home? That figures. I open the boxes & put it into airtight containers the day I bring it home. I keep six or seven types on hand, depending on what I can find.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Same here.

The 99c stores are a decent place for such containers btw. You will simply have to hit a few to find what you want.

A lot of the "jars" one finds at Sams Club etc that hold candy, peanuts and whatnot..the tall ones..work pretty well for spagettie and longer pasta. I tend to give my jars a shot of Argon from the welding shop before closing them up. Stuff lasts for years.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

Bureaucrat, n. - Person who cuts red tape lengthwise.

Reply to
Wes Groleau

God, you do love to misconstrue, don't you? I have in depth food storage, put up properly for long term storage, thank you.

That's beside the point. My comments referred to the people that were in the storms path. The average Joe does not do as you and I so the idea that their pasta is dry packed is just plain silly. I doubt you are actually so stupid as to misunderstand that, so I'll just say troll on my good man.

Reply to
Winston_Smith

I buy the big containers of spices from Sam's Club and save them for pasta, cereal and other bulk food. You never know when you'll need a gallon of dried onions, black pepper or chili powder. :)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

So, no one in New England knows the proper way to store food? Glad to know that.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in news:cvmdnQl6Ktwl6gXNnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

They'd have to be put into a vacuum (not the cleaner).

Reply to
RobertPatrick

I'm sure being the heathen you are, you will ask for forgiveness when you play weekend Christian.

Reply to
Kronos

Really? They keep for several years without doing that. You can toss some desiccant packs in, if you're paranoid.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

On Mon, 05 Nov 2012 22:48:56 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"

What a trolling fool you are proving to be. Most people don't know that. Many of the people in the storm area consider themselves lucky to HAVE a box of pasta. Certainly some know how to pack food but most either don't know or haven't done it.

You have a knack for going from the general to the specific and back to the general if it fits your silly games.

By the way, we are all glad to learn New Jersey and New York City are in New England. Must have been a hell of a tidal push.

Reply to
Winston_Smith

YAwn.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Awww, is the poor widdle troll tired? I guess getting your ass lobed off, half jellied and the other half dehydrated, salted, and then handed back to you does take away all your ambition for a while.

Rest well, my friend.

Reply to
Winston_Smith

In the NYC area...far too few do. I know a number of them personally. And a more ignorant bunch cant be found when it comes to practical stuff.

Dealing with them is like watching Seinfeld. Brrrrrrrr.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

Or an inert gas such as argon, nitrogen and so forth. Even CO2 will work for pastas and rice type items.

As long as they are kept sealed and dry...they have a surprisingly long life span, even if only in air.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

Wow. You read DPB's excellent explanations of why whatever non-monetary "stuff" you plan to donate isn't really helping. Yet not one whit of it penetrated. Not an iota. Fascinating.

I can imagine that one of the reasons you might be in business trouble and can't afford to send a check is that you listen to your clients with that same utter lack of attention. That could easily translate into a loss of repeat business when your clients patiently explain their needs to you but you appear to have not heard a single word. Most people get turned off by being ignored.

If you spent less time on the Internet missing point after point you might find enough paying work to actually be able to afford to send a check. That's what the relief agencies are asking for: $$$ What you want is to make yourself feel good about giving and get a zing in on Obama, who apparently personally forced you into debt. I thought Mormons never spent money they didn't have - only libs did that. More likely it was your profound internet addiction interfering with time that should be spent growing your apparently tottering business. If I didn't have $20 to give to charity, I'd spend more time trying to earn money and less time posting anything and everything that comes to your mind on Usenet.

But go ahead, clog vital shipping channels with your box of God knows what and make more work for some poor, exhausted Salvation Army employee. They'll have to log it, go through it, sort it, check for expiration dates and adulteration and then get it to someone in need of a can of Stormin' Mormon's surplus stringbeans.

Reply to
Robert Green

I don't know. Are you?

Tell us all, troll. Just how they are supposed to cook any pasta, boxed or not.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I've met too many 'New yawkers' that brag that they never cook anything, since there is never a time they can't find a restaurant open. "I can just by a slice, anytime around the clock! Why keep food in the apartment?"

It was fun watching a couple guys from that area suffer through cold weather survival training at the US Army Cold Weather Test Site. It's a good thing they were given some old rations or they would have died. Then the fools were begging everyone for the two cigarettes that were older than they were. Ever see a fool try to light a cigarette from a roaring campfire at -40F? Not a pretty sight.

One of the most disgusting TV shows I've ever had the misfortune to see.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Very thoughtful and on point. If only the intended audience would grab the excellent advice and run with it.

Reply to
George

If you eat a gallon of onions, I refuse to kiss you.

.

I buy the big containers of spices from Sam's Club and save them for pasta, cereal and other bulk food. You never know when you'll need a gallon of dried onions, black pepper or chili powder. :)

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Is that a board game? Weekend Christian?

.