DRO for mill/drill

I've got a Jet JMD-15, which is a small mill/drill (travel is only 14"x6").
I see used digital readouts (DRO's) come up on eBay periodically, but of
course they're for much larger machines, like Bridgeports. Can the scales
for these larger machines typically be shortened, or do I need to look for
something specifically made for a small machine like mine?
Reply to
Walter Harley
Look up Shooting Star on the internet. I believe there actual company name is CBX or something like that. They have an affordable DRO setup and the scales are easily shortened to your desired length.
tim
Reply to
TSJABS

Bill Chernoff
Thanks (and thanks, Bill, for contacting me offline as well).
Although this looks like a nice product, I'm sort of hoping that I can find a used unit, rather than purchasing something new, so as to save money. Does anyone know whether the brands more commonly seen on eBay (e.g., Mitutoyo) can be shortened?
Reply to
Walter Harley
Hi Walter, If you like building things, have a look at the Yahoo group called ShumaTech
regards, John
Reply to
john johnson
I've successfully shortened several Acurite scales and have described the method I used on this group. Plugging this string into Google Groups should turn up the posts:
dro cut "ned simmons"
The construction of the Acurite scales is pretty typical of optical encoders, so though I can't guarantee my way will work with every scale, I expect with a little ingenuity it would work with most. Be aware that some DROs use technologies other than optics for their scales (Sony Magnescale is one).
Ned Simmons
Reply to
Ned Simmons